Thames Tributary – Tolworth Brook
The Tolworth Brook flows northwards towards the Hogsmill
Post to the west Long Ditton
Post to the east Tolworth
Post to the south Tolworth
Surbiton Children’s Centre Nursery
Surbiton Hill Brewery owned in 1856 by Mr. Vachell and later Mr. Cooper. sold and probably closed 1885. Site redeveloped
Castle pub had cellars flood with sewage in the 19th
Newent House sheltered housing
The Tolworth Brook crosses Dennan Road
Called after Beethoven's overture to Goethe's play
The Tolworth Brook runs parallel to the road on its west side at the backs of the houses
The Tolworth Brook runs under the road from near the pub on the north side
219 Fishponds House, this has a large garden with adjoining woodland overlooking a small lake.
Dysart School. Small special school
The Royal Oak. In 1871 John Keen rode five miles in 19 1/2 minutes on one of his own bicycles o a track behind the pub. He was a professional cyclist who manufactured his own light and fast machines - and developed the 'high bicycle' or 'ordinary'. His works was in this area.
Surbiton Police Station, in Victorian buildings originally St. Matthews School
Hollyfield Cars – next door to the old Cooper factory.
Mad Hatter Pub
Milbank House - remodelled
Fish Ponds Park
Seeboard Offices. This was the site of the Surbiton and District Electricity Co which was operated by Callender Cables. Generation ended in the mid 1930s but the site is still operated by the electricity industry
Cooper Car Co. HQ in building with curved front and factory run by Charles Cooper and his son John. Charles worked as a mechanic for the Avon Tyre and had his own workshop. In the 1920s he began repairing motor bikes. After the Second World War they began to work on cars which used motor cycle engines, building a car using a JAP engine. In 1952 they developed a single seater racer and the firm developed strongly from then on to become famous and a leader in the world of motor sport. In 1967 the building was leased to the police traffic unit as a garage, converting, among other cars, mini coopers.
22 The Shrubbery, art deco flats
King Charles Crescent
King Charles Road
Tolworth Brook crosses it south of Alexandra Road
King Charles Centre Training for Young Women. This was Hollyfield School where Eric Clapton was a pupil
Woodbury 1880s house by Norman Shaw
Called after Sarah Langley owner of Southborough house
6 house of 1892 by R. P. Whellock,
12 house of 1893 by Philip Wilkinson,
14 house of 1893 by Philip Wilkinson,
Called after Sarah Langley owner of Southborough House
St.Matthews Church of England Primary School. Built to replace the Victorian building in Ewell Road
New housing on the ste of the Kingston Eye Hospital. Following bombing of the Royal Eye Hospital in Southwark 1941, wards had to be closed. 'Southborough', a mid 19th century Tudorbethan villa was acquired for the in-patients. It then developed into a hospital.
Thought to be the site of Southborough Farm.
Tolworth Nursery School
Residential district developed from the late 19th. Named after Southborough House (built 1808), which is marked as Southborough Park in 1876. This apparently takes its name from nearby Borrow Farm on the earlier map of 1819, which represents the medieval manor of la Bergh 1241, 'the mound or hill',
St. Matthew. Dates from 1875 and was funded by, William Matthew Coulthurst, partner of Coutts Bank who also said that the church was to be and to remain evangelical. It was designed by C. L. Luck but remodelled in 1976, By Melhuish & Anderson.. It is a big stone church with a tall stone spire.
Vicarage originally also built by Coulthurst but demolished and rebuilt in 1939.
Upper Brighton road
Lodge to Southborough, used as the Eye Hospital