Sunday, 12 December 2010

Thames Tributary Beverley Brook - Barnes Common

Thames tributary Beverley Brook
The Beverley continues to flow northwards towards the Thames.


Pleasant suburban area mainly consisting of the 19th and 20th housing with some hospitals and schools. The area is crossed east:west by both the South Circular Road and by the main line railway to Richmond from Waterloo - some road layouts and housing were undertaken by the railway. The small Beverley stream flows north:south.

Post to the north Barnes Bridge and Chiswick Dukes Meadow more sport
Post to the south Alton Estate
Post to the west Mortlake and east Sheen
Post to the east Barnes Common


BarnesBarnes' was known as ‘east Barnes’ in the early 16th

Beverley Gardens
Large yellow stock brick Victorian and Edwardian houses with decorative features and grand entrance porches.

Beverley Brook
Beverley Brook is recorded as ‘Beferithi’ in 693 and probably means 'small stream frequented by beavers',
On the Kingston Zodiac the stream here represents the horse’s stifle joint on Sagittarius

Beverley Road
The Beverley flows along this going north east
Large yellow stock brick Victorian and Edwardian houses with decorative features and grand entrance porches.

Brook Gardens
The Beverley flows along this going north east

The Elms
The Beverley flows past the northern end of the road

Fitzgerald Avenue
12 Coach House. an 'eccentric hotch potch' - A folly which incorporates fragments; including a big Wren-type door case dated 1696 and attached columns. Built in 1890 from bits of demolished buildings
14 - 16 pathway between them to the site at the back of Brook Court. Site of Fitzgerald Works, factory and head office of John Wisden and Co. Ltd. Athletic Outfitters to the King'. Equipment for export `Athletics, badminton, basketball, baseball, bandy-sticks, boxing, cricket, croquet, fives, football, golf, hockey, lawn tennis, lawn bowls, lacrosse, netball, polo, quoits, racquets, squash racquets, stool ball, table tennis, water polo.' Also Denbys Hard Courts Ltd, making artificial-surface lawn-tennis courts and Wisden Cricketers' Almanack of the same year. John Wisden played for Sussex 1845 - 1863 as a bowler touring North America on the first overseas trip by English cricketers.

Hertford Avenue
Sheen School is a secondary school in Richmond. It was originally built in 1896 as Richmond County School one of a number of Technical Schools built by Surrey County Council. Later in 1927 East Sheen County School for Boys also opened here and by 1957 was called Shene County School for Boys. In 1972 it merged with Richmond County School for Girls. In 1977 having lost the sixth form it became the Shene Comprehensive School and Shene School following amalgamation with two more schools.
Sports venue

North Worple Way
The road was laid out by the railway company

Priory Lane
Community centre
Roehampton Priory Hospital. The buildings date from the early 19th plus additions from the 1860s when it became a hospital. It is a Grade 2 listed building, in Strawberry Hill Gothic built in 1811 as a private home. It was built on land owned by Sir Thomas Bernard and bought in 1811 by Sir James Henry Craig but he died soon after and subsequently there were a number of owners and occupiers – one of whom made alterations in the 1830s by R. L. Roumieu and A.D. Gough. In the 1870s it came into the possession of the Hospital founded by Dr William Wood who purchased it as a private asylum. He had worked at Bethlem Hospital and later as a partner in a private asylum in Kensington. Wood was a psychiatrist of great distinction at a time when there were no specific treatments for severe mental illness. It became a specialist private mental hospital in 1980.
Ice house
Lennox Estate, built for the Greater London Council. by Gollins, Melvin, Ward & Partners. On the site of The Priory Nursing Home which displaced the Parish’s last herd of cows. It was built partly to house staff of the Priory Hospital. The names of the tower blocks are those of the daughters of the Duke of Richmond, members of the Lennox family who at one time owned the land. The daughters were Caroline, Emily, Louisa and Sarah whose adult reputation scandalised society.

Priests Bridge
This was originally the main road, diverted and straightened later. The Beverley crosses the main road here. Named as this in 1479 ‘Prestbrig’which is 'the bridge used by the priest', and probably refers to the route taken by priests travelling to from Wimbledon, where the parish church was until the mid-14th or to the monks of Sheen Priory. The Beverley Brook here separates Mortlake from Putney
The Willoughby’s - Flats which, it appears, the Beverley flows underneath
24 Halfway House. Pub next to the Beverley Brook. Records begin in 1863, when Thomas Edward was landlord. The name comes from the site at a half way point between Richmond and Putney. The present building is 1938
Brick trough thing by the flats for the river

Railway Side
Railway cottages which once stood by the Barnes Curve which was built in 1862 and removed in 1881. It went between the Windsor Railway line west of Beverley Brook
62 The Idle Hour. Pub previously called The Manor Arms.
The Beverley flows along the eastern border of the road
Vine Road recreation ground made up of what was common ground. the Beverley flows along its northern edge turning slightly north east

Rosslyn Avenue
1910 development of terraced houses. On south side of Beverley Brook which passes along the end of it

Scarth Road
Row of three storey late Victorian houses with distinctive roofs. The houses are separated from the road and the Common by a grass verge

South Worple Way
Old Mortlake Cemetery. Opened in 1854 and later extended across market gardens. The chapel was demolished. Chestnut trees. Rites happened here. Burials include Edwin Chadwick, and Dickens son and sister in law.
Barnes Hospital. began as a specialist unit for infectious diseases in 1889 and was called the Isolation Hospital. now a geriatric day care centre

Treen Avenue
1910 development of terraced houses. On south side of Beverley Brook which runs behind it.

Tudor Gardens
1910 development of terraced houses. On south side of Beverley Brook.

Upper Richmond road
In medieval times the road ran between the Mortlake common fields. Between Priests Bridge and Sheen Lane these were Strat Furling and Above Strat Furlong. ‘Strat’ often implies a Roman road, with the implication that this is the Upper Richmond Road.
The Beverley crosses the road at Priest’s Bridge. – You can see the brick work change for the bridge but the river seems to go under the lawns and flats
East Sheen Primary School
Rosslyn Park Rugby Football Club


Vine Road
Villas – early local development of two storey Victorian villas in grounds behind walls and hedges. Provide a boundary line behind the grass verge to the road. Also some modest semi-detached brick Edwardian houses.

Westwood Road
The Beverley flows parallel to the north side of the road

Woodlands Road
The Beverley flows past the northern end of the road

Sources
Clunn. The Face of London
Culbertson and Randall. Permanent Londoners.
English Heritage. Blue Plaque Guide
Field. London Place Names
London Encyclopaedia

Lost Hospitals of London. Web site
Penguin. Surrey
Pevsner and Cherry. Surrey
Pevsner and Cherry. South London

Sheen School. Web site
Wheatley and Meulenkamp. Follies
Wisden. Web ste

No comments: