Thames tributary Beverley brook - Coombe
The Beverley continues to flow northwards toward the Thames
TQ 21494 69965
Very posh area with many houses by important architects, golf courses, etc etc
Post to the north Kingston Vale
Post to the south Traps Lane
Coombe Hill Stables and outbuildings. L-shaped group of outbuildings in old brick, stone, roughcast, and tiles. Built in 1863 with tall chimneystacks By George Devey for Coombe Cottage. In the centre is a carriageway through to the stable yard with a four-centred archway, two long single storey stable buildings one with a timber bell-cote and wrought iron weather vane.
Edmondsbury. House in brick and half- timbered built for Mr. and Mrs. Hird using Tudor bricks and ancient beams from Bury St Edmunds. Designed in 1929 by Blunden Shadbolt, who specialized in houses, built of old materials. Grade II listed
Stable block, built by Waterhouse and Ripley in 1936. It is in the shape of an open circle, single-storey, in re-used red brick and with a thatched roof. There are original doors to horse boxes and saddle rooms Listed grade II
Cottage at the end of Coombe Hill Stables Cottage built in 1863. Probably by George Devey. In red brick with weatherboarding. Listed grade II
Coombe is given as ‘Cumber’ in the Doomsday Book and it means a broad, shallow valley.
Coombe Hill Golf Course
Very posh golf course. Laid out in 1911 by the architect J.F. Abercromby
Coombe Hill Road
Some of the area developed by George Devey and by John Galsworthy’s farther. Many new buildings since - Goldfinger’s Player House and Junipers demolished.
Gable Cottage formerly coachman's house of 1870 by George Devey, with late 20th porch. Built in red brick with a massive external stack, it stands on one side of the original entrance to Coomb Warren, which was demolished in 1926.
Service buildings to Coombe Warren by Devey. A large and small Tudor arch and a brick range
Coombe Wood House (Cedar Court School of English). A house of timber and brick nogging which incorporates a timber-framed house from Colchester, Essex - The Perseverance Inn, taken down in 1910 and re-erected here in 1911-12 by J A Sherman. Inside 15th linen folds panelling and 15-17th heraldic glass collected by the original owner, Walter Thornton- Smith.
Fair Oaks by Patrick Gwynne built in 1959 in brick. Tied into the landscape by undulating brick screen walls.
Robin Hill by Taylor & Green in the 1950s
Orangery and adjoining wall at rear of Soames House. Soames House is a modern Neo-Georgian house which incorporates, the Orangery of demolished Coombe Warren House built by George Devey, 1881. Listed Grade II
Coombe Warren Lodge and garden walls
Coombe Warren, was one of George Devey's best-known houses, built c. 1864 for international banker, Bertrand Currie. He was a close friend of Gladstone and the house was a centre for Victorian Liberal politicians. It was in the triangle of Coombe Lane, Beverley Lane and Coombe Hill Road. It was later extensively rebuilt after a fire, from 1870. Garden walls and a lodge survive. The house was sold and the site redeveloped in 1926,
Coombe Cottage. Designed by Devey, and built for E. C. Baring, the banker in 1863 with additions of 1870-4. It has gables of different sizes and a low tower, and still has 60 bedrooms. Baring was married to the Prime Minister’s grand daughter and the stable wall has his name in it. Queen Eugenie lived there in 1881. When there was the threat of a railway being built nearby it was sold to the rail company but the line was never built. Later became Rediffusion Engineering
Coombe Warren Lodge.
New Victoria Hospital. Private Hospital. Opened on its present site in May 1958 replacing the original Victoria Hospital which opened in 1898 and which was absorbed in 1948 into the National Health Service. In March 2007 it was sold to a group of private investors
Kingston by Pass – Robin Hood Way
Some workings for the bridge and part of line, which was never built.
Hoppingwood Farm. A picturesque group of 19th farm buildings of the later c19, round a yard. Octagonal timber dovecote with weather vane.
Colliers Wood Football Club playing field
Wimbledon Rugby Football Club
Fishpond wood & Beverley Meads nature area including seasonal ponds and pockets of grassland, amidst oak and hazel woodland. The wood was once part of Merton Priory with the water used and managed to power the mill. . Eventually woodland grew up and was used as farmland until the late 1940s. When it was taken over by the local authority,
Mill Corner fulling mill here in the 16th
British Listed Buildings, Web site
Coombe Hill Golf Course. Web site
London Borough of Kingston. Web site
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. South London
The New Victoria Hospital. Web site