Thames Tributary Hogsmill - Ewell
The Hogsmill rises in springs in this area and flows North West towards the Thames at Kingston.
Post to the north Ewell
Post to the east Ewell East
The grounds of Bourne Hall preserved as a public area. The site of the hall is now a library, museum, concert hall opened in 1970.
Library. Opened in February 1970 . The architects were A.G. Sheppard Fidler & Associates with Atkins as consulting engineers. The contractor was William Willett (Contractors) Ltd of Clapham. It is a radical design, like a flying saucer, with twenty precast concrete vertical ribs in a circle. In the basement is a semi sunken Main Hall. The ground floor houses the Main Foyer, a Branch Library with Information Centre and reading room with study carrels, a banqueting suite with kitchen and bar, a small hall committee room, offices, toilets and boiler room. The 42ft chimney is separate.
Bourne Hall. A mansion had stood on a 'green plat' from the end of the 15th owned by Henry Saunder, of a local landowning family. In 1765 City vintner Philip Rowden bought land here and built a mansion on the highest point. In 1796 it was purchased by Thomas Hercey Barritt who added pavilions at each end of the house, plus a barn, brew-house and dairy near the horse pond. He also built the boundary wall with elegant ironwork, and a monumental gateway and the house became known as Garbrand Hall. In 1859 it was sold to George Torr – when it had stables, coach house an ice house in the shrubbery. Since 1925 it has been known as Bourne Hall when it became a girls' school, called ‘Cairnbrook’ and then as a girls boarding school associated with the boys school in Ewell Castle ., In 1952, a new owner could not afford repairs and the school failed to open for the autumn term in 1953. Bourne Hall was bought by the local authority with help from Miss Glyn. The building was in a very bad state and in 1962 it was demolished.
The Turrets – this was Barritts Gothick dairy designed by Henry Kitchen junior. It was demolished in 1967.
Waterwheel in grounds of Bourne Hall 19th which originally pumped water to greenhouses. The wheel is framed in a Flint arch with a mask on the keystone. There are statues of water and wine all in Coade stone.
Ornamental lake fed by the local springs and drains into the adjacent Horsepond outside which is the source spring of the Hogsmill River. However this is one of a number of water sources, which feed the Hogsmill. On the Kingston Zodiac Ewell is on the Virgin and thus we have Millais’ Ophelia drowning in the Hogsmill
War Memorial above Ewell Spring. The memorial has names of 80 men from Ewell who died in the Great War. It is Portland stone measuring enclosed by cast iron railings. It was not at first a memorial but a War Shrine erected during the war, on the front of the Watch House. Names are not alphabetical because they were added in the order of the dates of death. It was unveiled in April1917. In the 1960s the Watch House was restored to its appearance in the.1770s so the shrine was moved here,
Milestone from the London to Horsham turnpike .Says it is 14 miles to London.
2 Star Inn
Upper mill. This is a 4 storey, brick and timber mill with a lucam from the early 19th. There are records of two mills here from the 10th. There was an adjoining early 18th mill house which has been burnt down. From the 18th the Millers were Hall and Davidson and later Hendersons. The weather boarded front dates from c 1750 and the rear from c1810. Decreasing flow in the Hogsmill made water power less viable and the mill was out of work by 1953 and taken over by the Local Authority. It was converted into offices in 1983 and much has been demolished.
Millpond. The water flows from the Horse pond under Chessington Road and into the pond.
Emergency Borehole. At the outbreak of Second World War a borehole and pumping station were established near the Upper Mill. The machinery was removed in the 1960s, but a small pump is used to supplement the flow of water to the Hogsmill.
Fitznells Manor 17th but mainly early 19th, A 2 storey colour washed cement farmhouse building. This is last surviving manor house in the area.
Ice house filled in and under the driveway.
222a The Corner House and 222b. Early 19th weather boarded buildings with a 19th shop front on the ground floor.
32 Mulberry House. Early 19th building with three storeys,
Hollycroft. 18th. Two storey, yellow brick, building
Purberry Shot. A Roman well was discovered in the grounds when flats were built. It was found to be 40 ft deep and there was an associated oven. The well was in use until about 150 AD when a road was built. Subsequently Iron Age remains have been found, including a smelting hearth and huts.
Ewell House Grove
Chalk Pit site in the grounds of what was Ewell House.
Tunnels. These are service tunnels part of demolished Ewell House and are probably late 17th or early 18th. Some are lined with brick; others are the sandstone they are cut through. There is some ornamentation and they were used as a Second World War air-raid shelter.
Ice well in the network of tunnels under the site of Ewell House .1800. It is dug in the chalk with a domed roof. It is against a boundary wall in a private garden and the entrance is blocked.
St Clements’s Catholic Primary School
The Green Lanes stream passes under both ends of the road at their junctions with Longmead Road, flowing north Railway to Long Grove Hospital from Ewell West – The Interchange of wagons between the main line and the hospital railway was made at sidings south of Ewell West station here. Now housing
Goods sidings were 400m south-west on what is now Gibraltar Crescent. Now housing
The Green Lanes stream flows northwards between the two branches of the road towards the Hogsmill, It runs in landscaped park land. The area had been part of the Fitznells Farm Estate and was built up by Ideal Homesteads.
2 new and overbearing
9 16th, refronted in.18th and called "Redd Lyon Inne" in 1577. Two storeys, colour washed roughcast building, Ground floor has an 1838 shop front inserted
11 -15 16c two storey buildings with plastered jettied timber framing,
17 17th house with rounded corner.
19 King William. Renamed the Friend and Firkin. Early 19th Stucco. 2 storey pub. Victorian bar front on the ground floor and inside Plate glass windows with etched decoration. There is a Roman well the rear garden which is about 40 ft deep.
24 this is an earlier house refronted in the late 18th. Double fronted shop front
31 Barclay's Bank. Late 16th roughcast, probably over timber framing, and a late 18th double bowed shop front
32 and 34 18th building with a19th front. Brick and weather boarded with an early 20th shop fronts
33 Mid 18th Red brick building with -19th shop front on the ground floor.
40 Early 19th rendered building
45-50 Warehouse behind which was built in the early 19th in stock brick and partly weather boarded. Joiners' Shop and General Stores behind. This was for Goodship and Saunders. Between 1838 –1991 they were general builders, decorators, constructors and woodworkers, plus being gas, water and electrical engineers and undertakers.
53 18th or earlier. Weather boarded building which is part modern.
55 18th Roughcast. With a projecting modern shop front below.
57 18th Roughcast building with a projecting modern shop front
67 18th. Rendered building with a projecting modern shop front
71 Famous Green Man, A large ex-Hodgson's pub built in the 1930s.
Entrance arch to Bourne Hall garden The Dog Gate., Early 19th, stucco. Centre with giant arch with suspended lamp flanked. On a parapet are the Arms of Barritt and a larger than life statue of a heraldic Talbot dog which is said to be a particular hound, which saved someone from drowning.
Entrance lodge to Bourne Hall, Early 19th, one storey, stucco.
Garden wall of Bourne Hall Probably early.19th. It is red brick and runs into Kingston Road, where, by the pond, is a flint feature of a arched bridge and Gothic archway
Garden Wall to Glyn House, Probably 1848 North section in flint and red brick dressings.
Milestone by the entrance arch to Bourne Hall. Possibly 1755, when the London road was turnpiked. Inscribed "14 MILES TO LONDON"
Watch House for miscreants. The earliest record is from 1777. It was also used to store the local fire engine.
The Green Lanes stream crosses under the road east of Longmead Road flowing north 2-24 red brick houses with original features from the 190s
25 and 27 18th Weather boarded. Houses
29 and 31 18th, altered 1900. Red brick.
34 Wheatsheaf Inn. The pub was built in 1858 but there has been one on this site since 1456. Inside is a leaded "Isleworth Brewery" window. On the Kingston Zodiac Ewell is on the Virgin - Britannia’s Trident is also the Wheatsheaf
37 and 39 Early/mid 19c. Weather boarded.
Milestone. This is for the London to Horsham turnpike, giving the distance to London as 14 miles.
Wall to the garden of the Upper Mill which runs from the corner of Chessington Road to the gates. It is probably 19th and built of flint,
At the southern end is a water course running along the road. The road partly follows the course of Roman Stane Street
Horse pond. This is the old mill pond but also used by carters to water their horses.
1 Spring Hotel. Weatherboarded. Inn at the junction of the Kingston and London roads. Early 19th with painted weatherboarding.
5 Ewell Telephone Exchange. Opened by the Post Office in 1931. It remains in operation.
Iron lamp by west porch of the Parish Church from the mid 19th.
Garden wall of Glyn House which runs from the churchyard. Flint wall probably built in 1848.
The Green Lanes stream flows northwards parallel to the east side of the road
The Kings’ Church, Evangelical
1 modern rendering on listable building.
15-21 Early 19th Two storey building with painted weatherboarding.
3 -13 Late 18th building two storeys with painted weatherboarding.
44 Garden wall in red brick
The Old House 18th - Two storey building. Used for old people’s accommodation
Old Schools Lane
Milestone. This is at entrance to Chichester Court and is probably 18th but has been moved maybe from the Kingston Road Bridge. It says "2 miles from Ewell".
Salesian College Playing Field
Site of exchange sidings for the Horton Light Railway to the LCC hospital group. Now housing
Roughly circular road which goes round Bourne Hall Park and which was in place by at least 1400. Very unusual
Boundary wall to Bourne Hall. This has a concave portion built to let carriages turn into Spring House
Dipping Place. Also called the horse pond. This is on a different water course to the Hogsmill. At the junction of Spring Street and London road. It has cast iron Railings round a basin with an inscription tablet. And probably dates from 1816 it says: "This cistern was made and fenced at the charge and expense of some of the inhabitants of Ewell and the trustees of the Epsom Road”. It is said to have been done to commemorate Waterloo.
Chessington House early 18th with mathematical tiles.
Spring House, more mathematical tiles. 18th building with a Sun Fire Insurance mark.
Garden wall to Chessington House. 18th Red brick wall.
Ewell West Station. Opened in 1859 it runs between Epsom and Stoneleigh on South Western Rail It was built by the Wimbledon and Dorking Railway on the LSWR line from Raynes Park in 1859. It is a small country station built of brick and very similar to Worcester Park. The station masters house, extended for a large family remains. Original platform canopy with decorative iron brackets. Originally called ‘Ewell’ the name changed in 1923 to ‘Ewell West’.
Station car park. This is the site of a goods siding and dock installed in 1890 and in use until 1955. It provided a service to local corn mills. Closed 1961. Now some housing on the site
Sidings on the east side for Epsom Rural District Council. Now housing
Sidings for Stone's Brickworks in Kiln Lane. There was an internal horse drawn layout. Removed early 1950s. Now housing
The Horton Light Railway ran parallel to the road from the station sidings, this was a railway built to serve the hospital complex at Epsom.
Wall on the west side. 18th in Brick and some flint
2 -8 Early 19th buildings with weather boarding,
8 Shed which is weather boarded.
2-16 Jameson Engineering Company which made machine tools and aircraft components 1933 – 1963. During the Second World War 180 staff were employed. Some of the site had formerly been a wheelwright. It is now flats and offices. In the covered yard entrance is a length of narrow gauge tramway set into the stone paving. It is said that company made parts for Malcolm Campbell's car’ Bluebird'.
1 - 3 Tudor Close. Mid 19th brick buildings,
13 - 17 Ewell Grove County First School built in 1861 in red brick.
26 17th building with mathematical tiles from the 18th and weatherboarding at the back... There is a modern shop on the ground floor and a fire insurance plate of the British Fire Office.
28 -30 18th two storeys brick buildings. Modern shops.
51 Late.19th building with a ground floor in red brick with blue diapering, but whitewashed. Ornamental tiles on the 1st floor,
63 Harwood House Late 17th rendered building
9 and 11 built in 1880 on red brick with tile hanging on the 1st floor
99 -101 mid.19th weather boarded. Building
Gibraltar playing fields. Bowling green and nice trees. Pavilion. This was the Ewell Cricket Ground taken over by the council in 1930.
Stidder. Watermills of Surrey