Thames Tributary Pyl Brook - Sutton Common
The Pyl Brook flows west towards the Beverley Brook
Post to the west North Cheam
Post to the north St.Helier
Sutton Cemetery. Established in 1889 and owned by the London Borough of Sutton. It has a small Victorian Gothic style cemetery chapel. Sutton Cemetery, said to be a Memorial to people killed at Bricks Munitions factory.
All Saints Road
All Saints Given by Lord of the Manor and developer, Thomas Alcock, in the 1860s. Designed by S. S. Teulon, It is Large and very prominently placed at the foot of Angel Hill with a big broad tower. It was almost intended to be an amenity for Benhilton estate, which Alcock was developing. Stained glass was lost when the church was bombed in 1944. The Organ was built by Willis in 1870. The church is noted for its bells, the tenor bell was presented by Thomas Alcock and rung on the day the church was consecrated.
All Saints Primary School. Given by Alcock in the 1860s.
Westbourne Primary School
Anton Crescent Wetlands is a Flood Storage Wash for the Pyl Brook. The site includes open water, willow carr and reedbed.
Old name for the area now not used much. Meant ‘bean hill’ and there was Broad bean growing in the area which was owned by Chertsey Abbey.
Prince Regent. Once called the Fielder and Firkin. Modern low level building.
Helena House. Inland Revenue Recovery Centre. built 1962 and designed by Morgan &Branch,
Hall Mead day centre
Refuse station, this was originally a GLC waste transfer station but now owned by Sutton Council Highways depot now gone and replaced by Tesco
Tesco food store
The line From Sutton Common continues on an embankment and then into a cutting.
Building used for storage of ‘Stop Me and Buy One’ bicycles of an ice cream business. Listed and on the corner of Aultone Way.
Rose hill Park
The Pyl Brook runs parallel to the road and to the south
Sutton Common Road
Sutton Common itself was on either side of this road. It was enclosed in the 18th. Sutton Common is marked as such on the 1876 Ordnance Survey map.
Sutton Common Station. Opened January 1930 Between St.Helier and West Sutton on Thameslink and Southern Trains. Built by Southern Railway plus a deal with London Electric Railway. Facilities at the station were similar to South Merton but the passimeter office was in a road level hut.
Sutton Garden Suburb
Thomas Wall, a wealthy philanthropist, lived in, Sutton, and was active in the area, having built The Adult Education Centre in Benhill Road. And involved with Brentham Garden estate in Ealing. Frederick Cavendish Pearson had designed a substantial amount of housing at Brentham and he was thus employed in Sutton by Rose Hill Park Limited to develop an area to the east o Angel and Rose Hills to be known as Rose Hill Garden Suburb. But, the rights to develop were sold to, Sutton Garden Suburb Limited, in 1913. The original Master Plan covered a much larger area for 1000 houses, to be built around greens and woods. By 1912-1914 seventy-nine houses had been started on site, to Cavendish Pearson’s plans but they failed to obtain permission from the Local Government Board to borrow further money in the winter of 1914/1915. The Government also intervene put a stop to all house building in 1915, following the outbreak of the First World War.
Sutton New Town
Sutton New Town developed on agricultural land from c.1850. Developed by Alcock for poorer people