Thames Tributary - Hogsmill - Ewell Court
The Hogsmill flows north west towards Kingston and Thames, In this section it is joined by the Green Lanes Stream and the Ewell Court stream
The Green Lanes Stream flows north to join the Hogsmill
The Ewell Court Stream flows south west to join the Hogsmill. Its route between here and a number of springs in the Nonsuch area is unclear.
Post to the west West Ewell
Post to the east Nonsuch
Post to the south Ewell
The Green Lanes Stream flows north under the road
The Green Lanes Stream flows north between the two sections of the road
Weir – water flow has decreased since the 18th and could no longer drive mill wheels. There was a wider area near the weir where it was possible to fish and swim –known locally as the "wivies".. It included a sand bank and grass.
66 Ewell forge. This was probably here more than 300 years or longer,. perhaps longer. Members of Ralph family took it over from a Mr. Reddit in 1912. It provides the services of both farrier and blacksmith and ornamental work were also produced. There were originally two fires with traditional bellows but later one, with an electrically-powered -air blower. 18th. Rendered. Extensions partly weather boarded,
72 and 74 18th. Brown brick.
76 18th early 19th. Red brick.
78 Eight Bells pub. Partly a toll house. Large, Edwardian pub open plan with a central bar, and features the stone fireplace of the original neighbouring cottage.
266a Milestone for the London Road turnpike 1755. on one side is "Reigate 10", on another "1 mile to Ewell", and on another "Kingston 4". 66
307 St.Clement RC 1962
Lower Mill. The 1670 brick mill house. From the mid-17th it was a flour mill then paper and now offices. It was last owned by the Hendersons. An overhead conveyor connected the mill buildings with a loading stage at LSWR railway line. it ceased working in 1929, and was leased to Turnell and Wainwright who made garden furniture here. The mill became derelict and was eventually burnt down destroyed in 1938. The house was sold to Sutton and District Water Company. But the site has been redeveloped, and the Mill House restored
Rembrandt Cinema. This was between Stoneleigh Park Road and the railway. It opened in 1938 as The Rembrandt Cinema, with a large auditorium seating 1500,. It was Originally owned by Mrs. F Thompson, who also owned the Cinema Royal in Epsom, in early 1943 it was bought by Associated British Cinemas who incorporated Cinemascope facilities in the 1950s and, in 1971, converted it into two cinemas with auditoria of 600 and 150 seats. In 1986 it passed to Cannon Cinemas Ltd, in 1993 to MGM, and in 1996 once again to ABC. Now demolished for housing
Turnpike by passed in 1931
Chamber Mead This is land by the river. In the 19th it was known as Upper and Lower Marsh
Gunpowder Mill Site. A gunpowder mill here was licensed in 1588-and established on a riverside site westwards of here, in 1754 it was operated by Alexander Bridges and his partner Jonathan Eade. It was operated by the Bridges family until 1861 when it was leased to John Carr Sharpe and partners and it continued until 1875. It appears to have been an extensive site. The mill closed following explosions in 1875. The side has been landscaped and the remains have gone. Some millstones are thought to have gone to the Beddington snuff mill., until 1875 demolished apart from a 2m length of wall foundation and a section of flue or drain. Site now a public park.
The Corning house used remained after the mill closed and was used to house equipment generate electricity for Ewell Court. Some remains of it are said to be found round the weirs
Black Cottages stood here from the 1870s. They were built for the mill workers but in the 1930’s were replaced by semi-detached houses in Northcroft Road
Ewell Manor House was south of the current Library, It was called Worth Court, and was replaced by Ewell Court Farm
Ewell Court house. Mainly built in 1879, architect J Alick Thomas for John Henry Bridges on his marriage to Edith Tritton. Parts of a 1690 house called Avenue House remain in the kitchen wing.. It is a Jacobean style house built of red brick with tall brick chimneystacks. It had good quality internal joinery, , and a fairly rare fern grotto. It was the home of operators of the powder mills.
Ewell Court House, Library
Stone raised flowerbed in the grounds,. In the centre is an elaborate bulbous stone urn
Ewell Court Gardens
Ewell Court Nursery and Team Room
London Road Recreation ground
Stidder. Watermills of Surrey
Surrey Industrial Archaeology
Haselfoot. Batsford Book of Industrial Archaeology