Thames Tributary Beverley - Roehampton Gate
The Beverley continues to flow northwards towards the Thames
Part of the London County Councils ground breaking Alton Estate to the north east of Richmond Park. It lies west of Roehampton Lane where grand houses are now mainly in educational or medical use. There are also sports grounds including specialist tennis and golf establishments.
Post to the north Barnes
Post to the south Richmond Park
Bank of England Sports Ground. Founded in 1908, the land formed part of the Clarence House Estate.
Clarence House Estate. The estate had belonged to Lord Camelford and was called Petersham Lodge. Its name was changed by the Duke of Clarence when he bought the estate in 1789 for 12,000 guineas.
Record office Club house
Clarence Farm Grove House home of the Froebel Educational Institute. The College was founded in 1892, by a group committed to the philosophies of Friedrich Froebel, an influential 19th educationalist. He thought the pre-school period was the most important part of education. It is one of four colleges in the Roehampton University and specialises in teacher education. Froebel taught that education should be a creative and interactive process, developing the whole personality in that it should also be fun. Grove House was built in dates 1792 designed by James Wyatt for Sir Joshua Vanneck. Listed Grade II.
The Bull. Bronze bull 10 ft long installed by the Greater London Council in 1961 by Robert Clatworthy. It was the idea of A W Cleeve Barr, an architect who worked on the Alton Estate. Bronze, ten feet in length and is the centrepiece of the LCC's Alton West development. Clatworthy specialised in animal subjects
Ibstock Place school. Private school applying Froebel’s principles.
Palewell was one of four commons which were in Mortlake. It was the smallest and the name is probably derived from the ‘pale’ or fence of Richmond Park – which took in some of the acreage in 1637. In 1913 it was taken over by the local authority, who illegally built sports facilities on part of it. This was eventually dealt with by an Act of Parliament in 1935.
The area between the brook and the common was Park Mead and Pond Mead which were part of the grounds of Clarence House, but eventually bought by the local authority.
31 organic garden
Roehampton Gate. Around the gate, sedges are particularly abundant
LTA National Tennis Centre. This opened in 2007 for top players. It has 22 courts, player accommodation and a sports science centre
Templeton House. 18th mansion
Roehampton golf club
Aldous. Village. London
Clunn. The Face of London
English Heritage. South London Sculptire
Pevsner and Cherry, South London