Thames Tributary Hogsmill - Ewell

Thames Tributary Hogsmill
The Hogsmill rises from springs and wells in the Ewell area

Post to the north Nonsuch
Post to the east Ewell

Ewell is an area of springs and it has been suggested that there is a connection to a Holy Well with healing powers from pagan times. Ewell is the oldest known English place name with an element of "well", being first noted in 675. Roman Stane Street ran through Ewell but modern roads do not follow the line of it but wells or shafts are a regular feature in Ewell’s archaeology and this might suggest that the Roman settlement had a connection to bathing.

Castle Way
Hatch Furlong nurseries
Cheam Road
Pit House. Built early or mid 18th. Altered in early 19th.Ice house cut into the side of the chalk pit, probably for the use of the house
Toby Carvery. This was once called The Glyn Arms
Christchurch. In 1940 Ewell Christian Brethren assembly moved to is Staneway Chapel which was newly built. Previously they had met at West Street School. In 2001 they were joined in the chapel by Cheam Baptist Church
Grove Cottages. Built in the early 19th with two storeys, colourwashed brick.

Church Street
2 Roslyn built in the 18th with two storeys and mathematical tiles rubbed "brick" heads to windows.
4 Ballards Garden. Built in the 17th and remodelled in the late 18th with two storeys and mathematical tiles. Royal Exchange fire insurance mark of a red-enamelled plaque dates from about 1796 and bears the policy number 49551. Looks Georgian but is earlier
6 Malt End Cottage. With mathematical tiles.
Edge runner millstone set in the pathway to St.Michael’s Church
8 Tabards. Late 18th with mathematical tiles.
10 Well House. Early 18th. Three storeys, red brick, 18th railings
Barn immediately behind Barn House. Probably 18th. Timber framed. Weatherboarded. Pitched slate roof. Internally queen posts. Lean-to cowshed with pantile roof on west side.
St Michael’s spiritualist church. Possibly in an old malthouse
Ewell Castle senior school, in Ewell Castle.
Ewell Castle. Built in 1811 by, H Kitchen who was a local son of a village builder who had sent him to be trained by James Wyatt. His was a rich landowner, Thomas Calverley. It is two storeys, with Roman cement facing. It has a three-storey centre tower with buttresses and battlements. Early Victorian castellations everywhere you look and it is similar to Wyatt’s building at Nonsuch with battlements of stucco, not stone. Now a school. In 1846 Millais met his future wife, Effie, there. In the grounds lies the remains of a water park with lake, bridges, a grotto etc., It has been pointed out that althought eh layout is recent, its general site is of interest being very closely to some of the elborate gardens of Nonsuch Palace and with its Grove of Diana which it has been suggested was in this area.
Ewell Castle Junior School. In Glyn House which was built in 1859 by: Henry Duesbary. It is in pink brick with a tower and an early 20th extension. It was originally built as the rectory to St .Mary’s church
Outhouse to Glyn House. Built mid-18th in red brick. 2 storey with a tower and a plinth to basement
Hidden Cottage. This is part 18th, part mid 19th and is an extension to Tabards. The ground floor is colour-washed brick, the 1st floor weatherboarded.
St Mary the Virgin. This is the Anglican parish church built 1847-8 by Henry Clutton. Built for Sir George Glyn, who was both patron and incumbent Hammer dressed stone, tower decorated with pinnacles and gargoyles. Open timber roof. Contemporary furnishings include wooden pews, marble and alabaster pulpit with brass rail, delicate iron heating grilles n floor, red and black diamond-shaped tiles. Evangelists and Last Supper in tile on east chancel wall, organ of 1865 by Father Willis. From old church came a 15th chancel screen a 15th font altar table, brasses and monuments. . On the Kingston Zodiac this is on the virgin – thus making the church name particularly apt.
Churchyard. In the graveyard are stones to those who died as the result of various explosions at the gunpowder mill. There is a memorial to James Lowe, who developed screw propellers for ships first used in 1838 on the steamship Wizard and later tested by the Admiralty on Rattler and Phoenix.
Tower of the old medieval church. The date of the first church in Ewell is not known but possibly there was a Saxon building. The earliest written reference is 1194. The old church was built of flints and chalk. It had a nave, chancel and chantry chapel built by Sir Richard Bray, 1559. The tower is 15th and had an added brick parapet. It is thought to be the oldest building in Ewell with Rough chequer work and staddle stones. It had a Wind vane from 1789
VicarageLamp Post. In front of the west door of St Mary's church, a mid-19th century cast iron lamp post Walls surrounding Churchyard Presumably 1848.
Watch House and Fire Engine House. This small building dates from about 1772. One half was the 'Lock-up' and the other half a garage for the village fire engine. This was a hand-operated machine, described as 'old' in 1770.

Ewell by Pass
Built in the mid 1930s

Hatch Furlong. This is a piece of land lying on a tongue of North Downs chalk that projects north-westwards down into the centre of Ewell Village but which was bisected by the Bypass in the 1920s.. A number of Roman ritual pits were discovered here in the 1860s. Human cremated remains and animal bones in the wells suggest a religious use of what could be old water sources. A series of deep shafts were found cut into chalk bedrock led researchers to think a ritual site was here in the 1st and 2nd centuries. It is thought there was some sort of sacred stone building on the eastern side of the bypass above the site where these were found., Ewell was the largest Roman settlement in Surrey and the site is bisected by Roman Stane Street .
Do It All. Now covers the site of some of the original shaft discoveries.

Hazel Mead
Site of the 'Great Pit – a 19th chalk extraction pit in the south part of the site. It is hear that some of the Roman shaft discoveries were made

London Road
London Road co-incidentally co-incides with the line of Roman Stane Street.
Walls surrounding Churchyard on all sides, including Church Street, and forming boundary with garden of Glyn House, Presumably 1848. Nodular flint with red brick chaining, dressings and coping.
Lych-gate of the Parish Church mid 19th. Timber, with arch bracing and wind bracing. Ornamental roof.

Station Approach
Ewell East Station. Opened May 1847. It is Between Cheam and Epsom on Southern Rail Cheam Road and was on the LB&SCR line from West Croydon to Epsom Town. Originally known as ‘Ewell’ in 1923 it was renamed Ewell East

The Avenue
Remains of the Banqueting House to Nonsuch Palace. What is there is an earth terrace bounded by brick retaining walls, partly only of 16th brick, which has been restored. The original Tudor cellars and fireplace have been filled in, but excavated in 1960they are intact. It is where the hunting parties would have eaten. It was detached from the palace itself and could be described as a hunting stand. It was built in the 1540s and stood at the centre of a bastioned platform which still survives. It marked the highest point within the Little Park, with views on all sides. It has been suggested that this is on an articificial mound of much older date - and that a causeway leads to it - this is the Avenue.

Vicarage lane
Nonsuch Pottery Site. Site of Stone & Co's Pottery and clay extraction pit which was in operation 1800 - 1930. The site is now under the Ewell by-pass. Originally known as Swallow & Stone, later Stone & Swallow, they made high grade earthenware products, household and garden pottery, bricks, tiles, drainpipes, and chimney pots. They also made fire-resistant crucibles and fire bricks and maybe clay pipes. It has been suggested that this pottery site is older than 1800 and that use was made of alum bearing clays found locally. It has also been suggested that this is the site of the Nonsuch Palace 'Grove of Diana'.


walk said…
I will very happy if you can let me know more about your articles . I look forward to seeing your new articles every day.

Popular posts from this blog

Bromley by Bow

South Norwood

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town