Thames Tributary River Roding – Tributary stream - Ongar
The stream flows south east towards the Roding
Post to the north Shelley
Post to the west Shelley
Post to the east High Ongar
Post to the south Ongar
1 -3 16th cottages on the corner of Ongar Road. They are timber framed and plastered with brick fronts and some weather boarding
Smiths Brasserie. This was the Red Cow also named “The Bowling Inn”. There was a bowling green and bowling club behind it.
Ongar Leisure Centre. This is the secondary school’s sports centre and swimming pool, built in the 1970s which continues in general use.
Ongar War Memorial Hospital. Now demolished. In 1918 following a public meeting it was decided to build a cottage hospital as a memorial to those lost in the Great War and it opened in 1932 with 24 beds. It was greatly enlarged in the Second World War and in 1948 joined the NHS with 25 beds. It was however too small to undertake a wide range of work and access was often difficult. There were no out-patients and the Physiotherapy Department was in an old air-raid shelter. In 1969 it as proposed to close it - the maternity unit had closed and X-rays could not be done. In 1974 it had 23 beds, in 1992 it had 22, and by 2001 it had 14. In 2003 it was refurbished, re-opened and dedicated to the people of Ongar but it closed in 2008, with a final Remembrance Day service. It is to be replaced by an Ongar War Memorial Medical Centre which will incorporate the war memorial.
Clock and Barometer Store
Road off Fyfield Road
Boarded Barns Farm. This was also once called New Barns. The farmhouse is l7th Timber framed and plastered. A Bill for groceries dated 1634 was found in the roof and is framed in the Hall. The farm adjoins the Rhone-Poulenc Agriculture, previously May and Baker, site and they have managed it. Since 1989, part of the farm has been managed as an organic arable unit for a long term comparison between organic farm and conventional farm management. This also includes Integrated Crop Management.
Roman buildings – two found near the site
Ostlery, Granary & Kennels at Boarded Barns Farm. The Granary. Stable and Grooms room, 16th single storey, and l8th dog kennels. They are timber framed and weather boarded.
Cattle Yard including Stables, Barn, and Stallion Shed. 18th timber framed and weather boarded. The Stallion Stables have original doors, partitions and feeding troughs
Stable block.18th Timber framed and weather boarded. Used as Laboratories in Research Centre
Fyfield Business Centre was Ongar Research Station for May and Baker Horticultural Research from 1952. Later taken over by Rhone Poulenc.
Housing built on the site of Ongar County Secondary School. The School was built by Essex Education Committee in 1936 for 520 children. It had neo-Georgian buildings fronting Fyfield Road. It became a comprehensive in the 1960s but was closed in 1989.