Thames Tributary River Roding - Fyfield
The Roding continues to flow south and is joined by a tributary from the north west
TL 57 07
Post to the west -Fyfield - 56 07
Post to the south Cannons Lane 57 06
Post to the north - Fyfield - 57 08
Rowan Cottage 16th house Timber framed and plastered with some flint and red brick
Walker's Cottage. 16th house timber framed with thatched roof.
Cannons Green – a separate more isolated hamlet
Ashwell's Cottages. A 16th house timber framed and plastered
Bridge House. 14th open hall house timber framed and plastered
Yew Tree House. 16th house Timber framed and plastered
Mill Hatch. 17th cottage, timber framed and plastered
Queen’s Head Pub. 17th timber framed and weather boarded building.
1-2 this was originally one house. Late 17th timber framed and plastered.
Brewetts. 16th House and shop timber framed and plastered
Lesser Brewetts. 16th house, timber framed and weather boarded
School House. 19th timber framed and Part weather boarded.
The Mill House. Water mill built 1784, timber framed and weather boarded. Some machinery remains inside - an 1890 Armfield turbine. In full working order with 2 pairs of millstones.
Dr Walker's Church of England Voluntary Controlled Primary School. In 1687 Dr. Anthony Walker, who was Rector of Fyfield, gave land and a house for a free school for poor children. In 1807 it had 15 pupils. In 1819 a new schoolroom was built but until the Education Act of 1870 there was little change. In 1875 a new school was built near the site and 1952 there were three teachers and 89 children. It has since been rebuilt in Walker’s Avenue.
Fyfield Grange – new development on farmland around Fyfield Hall. Including development of barns.
St.Nicholas. The parish church, which has some Roman brick, was built originally in the 12th and had many subsequent alterations. It is in flint rubble and late 18th brick. The 12th tower was in two stages, with the top rebuilt in the 17th and it has weather boarded lantern and octagonal spire. Under the organ is said to be the grave of Lord Scrope, executed by Henry V in 1415.
Fyfield Hall, Posh 13th house with additions from subsequent centuries which claims to be the oldest inhabited timber framed building in England.. Timber framed and plastered. The original aisled hall is perhaps from 1140 with a 13th roof. Timbers in the roof are heavily blackened with smoke from an open hearth. In the 16th there was some rebuilding and an upper storey was introduced and there have been many additions since..
Catholic Pond – a fish pond in the garden of Fyfield Hall
Fyfield Hall farm in 1842 was made up of 288 acres and owned by the Wellesley family who held the manor. Soon after the farm separated from the manor and was owned by the White family from the First World War. It has since been sold for development.
Dovecote at Fyfield Hall. 16th timber framed and weather boarded, building. Being converted to workshop
The Parsonage House. 16th house with later extensions. Timber framed and plastered. Moated site.
Glebe Cottage. 16th house Timber framed and plastered. Became the Parson's house in 1546.