Thames Tributary Roding - High Ongar
The Roding continues to flow south and is met by a tributary from the east.
Post to the north High Ongar Bridge
Post to the east Chelmsford Road
Post to the west Ongar
Post to the south Hallsford
Mulberry House. House in red brick with 3 storeys and cellars and a service wing - which is said to have been built first to house construction worker and which incorporates remains of the earlier house. It was built in 1767 for Edward Earle. In 1788 Earle, and his successors, became the rectors and the house thus became the rectory and remained so until 1975 when it was sold and renovated by new private owners. It was later used as a training centre by the Trustee Savings Bank. Later it was converted into a pub...
Site of earlier house on the garden lawns in an area once used as tennis courts also part of the service wing.
Rectory Cottage- once used as the local youth club
7/6 Mulberry Cottages. Old coach house and servants' quarters. 18th red brick with weatherboarding
Pastoral centre. A Christian centre remains in the grounds
Grounds – there is a Wellingtonia fir, planted to celebrate the Battle of Waterloo in 1815, and a mulberry bush
Lake is made up of the remains of a Tudor moat
Took its name from a windmill
Council houses south of the village.
Clatterford Bridge spans the tributary stream flowing west to the Roding
Village Hall. A village hall was opened in 1925 with an endowment of Mill Lane allotment field which was sold in the early 1930s. A new hall was opened in 2008 on the site of Brace & Sons saw mill. On the site was found three prehistoric features, a medieval ditch and two post-medieval features
Windmill. Known to have been in use 1777- 1874 but may be older. Its base now converted to housing is in the garden of Mill Cottage. It is octagonal shape and has thick red brick walls..
Mill Cottage, which included a bakery which was part of the mill and which continued after it had closed.
Council housing with 40 and 8 old people's bungalows. Built 1948.
1, 2, 3 Blacksmiths Cottages. 17th with subsequent alterations, Timber
framed and plastered
Marsala Zone - Red Lion Public House. 17th building which may include remains of an earlier structure. Timber framed and plastered. Became an Indian restaurant
Old Cottage. 17th timber framed and plastered
Thai restaurant. This was the Three Horseshoes Inn and has had its timber framing exposed. It is a 17th house, timber framed and plastered
House and old Post Office. 15th hall house with crosswings which may have been the rectory. Timber framed and weather boarded it may originally have had 14 rooms and was later divided into four cottages. One wing is said to have been the 18th village lock-up. A small shop was added in the 19th used as the Post Office
Tabor Almshouses. These resulted from an early 17th charity and were closed and demolished in the 1930s.
High Ongar Primary School. School House. Built 1867 in red brick. It included the schoolteacher’s house
St.Mary’s Church. Originally this is 12th with many extensions, particularly from 19th. It is built of flint rubble, with limestone and clunch dressings. There is a tower in brick added in 1858. Inside is a Brass from 1510. In the east window is mid 16th stained with the arms of Jane Seymour and Henry VIII. There is an 18th family pew.
War memorial in the churchyard, on the Street
Forester's Arms, Public House. 18th in painted brick
Nash Hall. Farm with business units and a craft centre. 17th farmhouse, timber framed and plastered. This was a local manor house known also as Ashall and is in Domesday, eventually becoming part of the Forest Hall Estate.
Nash Hall Cottages with mansard roofs and gabled dormers.
An ancient linear wood with ash and hornbeam. Local nature reserve.