Thames Tributary Ravensbourne - Deptford Creek

Thames Tributary Ravensbourne
The Ravensbourne flows into the Thames as Deptford Creek
The London and Greenwich Railway goes south eastwards through Deptford Station and onwards across the Creek to Greenwich Station

The Ravensbourne divides Greenwich and Deptford both with lively communities and a lot of industrial infrastructure - plus almshouses, markets, pubs. and everything else

Post to the south St.Johns
Post to the west Deptford
Post to the east Greenwich
Post to the north Millwall (north bank only) and Deptford Riverside

Albury Street
Was Union Street to commemorate the Act of Union and named in 1707- Albury Street from 1898.. Creek Road/Albury Street is the site of an old village green. This narrow, cobbled street is nevertheless metropolitan. It was laid out 1706-17 by a local bricklayer Thomas Lucas. Houses on the north side survive relatively unchanged. Older houses are in plum-coloured stock brick. Carvings look like ships' figure heads.
6 tied up with builder, Thomas Lucas, own house
9-11 recent infill, 1970s GLC housing.
29-45 35 36 37 38 43 Georgian houses. Angel head carvings
27 'gem' carved doorways, staircases  on 18th Georgian houses
Deptford Medical union was at south corner of High Street.
4 21 33 29 45 frontage rebuilt in the early 19th century
34 popularly thought Nelson lived there
37 popularly thought Admiral Benbow lived there

Armada Street
Drinking fountain and horse trough. Gone.

Ashburnham Grove
Named for the Ashburnham family who laid out the estate in the 1820s.
25 Ashburnham Arms, 1850. Back street local with an art gallery. Arms of the Ashburnham family on the pub sign. Shepherd Neame pub since 1975 and previously Charringtons.
75 Hostel for adults in need of care. Green Hub garden and butterfly garden.

Ashburnham Place
Also once called Cut Throat Lane or Back Lane. Land owned by the Drapers Company which was developed in the 1860s by a Samuel Harris.
Lombard Villas, originally Lambard Cottages. Housing by Samuel Harris 1860s as the earliest part of the Ashburnham development. Boundary stone between Drapers and Ashburnham Estates.

Ashburnham Retreat
Provides access to the pub. It had no name until 1961 and it became an official play street.

Ashburnham Triangle,
Earls of Ashburnham Estate built this area early nineteenth century and called the roads after themselves

Bronze Street
Roman Eagle became dispensary, corner of Church Street

Comet Place
1 Granary. Probably basically late 18th but derelict. Part of an 18th group with dormers in the roof. Much altered but imposing; with a bow through two upper floors and shop front.

Copperas Lane
Part was also known as Creek Street, Copperas Lane was called after the copperas beds which were here from the 17th.
Agricultural Manure Co., Kent Wharf, 1876 made Manure and superphosphate
Charles Pearson for copperas works 1801. Elizabethan mansion where proprietors lived called Copperas House. It was a weekend cottage for Pearsons.
Lower pottery. Shown on a map of 1840. Called Deptford Stone Pottery.
Ford, old river crossing here. Probably wider and marshier then,
St Peter's Church. In 1866 St Peter's Temporary Church was in Creek Road. The buildings were designed by the architect Samuel Teulon. The church was bombed during World War Two, and was subsequently demolished.
Wheen Soap factory. In 1838 Richard Wheen took over a pin factory on the water's edge and once the Ravensbourne Wood Mill. He pioneered a number of techniques in soap manufacture, including the first use of soap coppers boiled by steam and not direct heat.
Lawes' Works 1841. John Bennett Lawes set up a works at Deptford which was to be prototype of all superphosphate factories. At first the only available phosphate materials were bones, bone ash, spent animal charcoal, and the poorer grades of guano

Creek Rail Bridge. The Greenwich Railway crossed the Creek on a lifting bridge, rebuilt in 1963. It has a moving section, electrically operated vertical lift bridge. The 40-ton centre platform could be raised in 3 minutes. It was designed by A.H.Cantrell, Chief Civil Engineer of British Rail Southern Region, and built by Sir William Arrol & Co. The previous bridge, built in 1884, needed 12 men and took an hour. Initially in the 1830s it was intended to build a tunnel under the river, but instead a drawbridge was installed with 2 arches and a 26 ft span. It has a wooden arch, opened in the middle and lifted by a grab. There were sliding pads at the top, and flaps with counterweights handing from chains over pulleys, which needed 8 men to work it.
Alongside the line is an passage way covering service pipes which go under the Creek itself.
Ha'penny Hatch foot bridge.  a replica of an earlier toll bridge.

Creek Bridge
Creek Bridge. The Bridge, with its control tower alongside, was opened in 1954. The first footbridge was built in 1804, and the first road bridge in 1815. The bridge lifts let boats go up river. There had been discussions over a long period about a bridge over the Creek but it was opposed by the Society of Ferrymen.In 1803 following a petition to Parliament a footbridge was installed.

Creek Road
The road was built parallel to Bardsley Lane and at first called Bridge Street then later, Creek Road.
The Harp of Erin
Noah’s Ark. 17th pub site now a solicitors
4-8 Postmen’s Office. Deptford Delivery office
Shop front – former double bow fronted shop now in the Museum of London. c1820. A late example of this form.
193 Hoy Inn, A pub on this site has existed since at least 1777; the present building was refronted in the early part of this century. Large freehouse. Has become a café.
First house over the bridge was the manager's house for the Francis & White depot
Albany Institute. Established in 1894 to provide welfare facilities for the poor. Its premises in Creek Road were gutted by fire in 1978.moved up the High Street.
South East London School became Rose Bruford College. Gone and demolished
Rachel McMillan College. In 1910: Rachel and Margaretg Mcmillan established the Deptford Clinic. The sisters had spent their adult lives in London; as Christian socialists and campaigners for women’s suffrage, they were committed to working in deprived areas. Their particular area of interest was the health and education of young children. Margaret founded theRachel McMillan College her in 1930: she believed that nursery teachers should be properly trained, so the college offered a three-year course. It later merged with Goldsmiths’ College. The former college site is now student accommodation but still has Rachel’s name.
Toilets defunct
Hoy Inn Stairs - a ferry ran across the Creek from here.
Cattle trough late 19th
125 The Duke. Pub, probably c1850. Large one-bar local. Twinned with Športni Pikado Klub Mica in Maribor.
Methodist Central Mission Hall. On 11 September 1940 there were 26 deaths in the basement during bombing. The Hall was built on slum clearance land in 1903 and designed to not look like a church to attract those who might be put off by a traditional church. From the 1920's the Mission had a concern for disabled and elderly people, reflected in what was then called "The Cripples Guild" and the "Cosy Corner" drop in. After the war the Mission as it is now opened in 1956, with a renewed energy for its work in the community.

Deptford Chemical Works. Opened by German Beneke and taken over by Frank Clarke Hills.
Laban the largest purpose-built contemporary dance centre in the world. The building was designed by Herzog and de Meuron,
Herzog and de Meuron who collaborated with visual artist Michael Craig-Martin to create building. Its semi-translucent cladding allows traces of dance and movement to be visible through the walls. By night, the building becomes a coloured beacon with light and movement spilling out illuminating the surrounding area.
Greenwich Railway Gas Co. Set up in 1836 to provide gas to the Greenwich Railway. Sold to Deptford, Bermondsey and Rotherhithe Gas Co. and later acquired by Surrey Consumers who appear to have closed it down.
Ecology Centre on the site of the railway gas works
Crown Wharf, London Iron and Steel Processing
Love over Sold. A splendid long mural of 1989 by Gary Drostle, inspired by local pop group Dire Straits and the work of local schoolchildren.
Art in Perpetuity Trust, APT, Harold Wharf. Was Stewart and Dennis. Engineers. Now studios. This is said to have been a rag sorting warehouse converted into an art studios and gallery. 27 studios and yard.  Houses 40 artists
Deptford Borough Council. Depot,
Medina Refinery, Ltd., Sun Wharf,
GVIIR Pillar Box plus a pouch,

Site of Deptford Bridewell. This was built, on gravel pits near Deptford Creek
Crossfields Estate. Unbelievably trendy in the 1970s. Members of both Squeeze and Dire Straits lived there and many more of the same ilk.
St.Joseph’s primary school
Sue Godfrey Nature reserve. The site of the Gibbs and Canning pottery from 1682 with four kilns in 1880s until it was demolished in 1967, saved by local campaigners. Some 200 different types of flora have been recorded here over the years – in a lot of long grass and some bushes Sue Godfrey, a local campaigner, who was killed in a road accident. Wall with pottery sherds in it from the 19th including, flower pot bits. This is where the Deptford pink was found – this is a protected pink flower.
Memorial bench to Roy Ramsey whose ashes are under a granite stone. Environmental campaigner
Frankham House with the Pink Palace 1970s
The Rectory for St.Pauls designed by Thomas Archer demolished c1885 by the Improved Industrial Dwellings Company. The replacement buildings were later destroyed in bombing.

Deptford Church Street
St.Paul's Church. Built 1712-30 as one of the most powerful baroque churches in Britain large and sombre by Thomas Archer. One of the few of the 'coal tax' Queen Anne churches of 1711 actually built. It was completed in 1723 and there have been several restorations. Covered in white Portland stone it is dominated by a semi-circular portico of giant columns from which rise five staircases. Above the portico is a baluster from which the steeple rises in stages with urns, with a vase and weather vane at the top. On each side are grand entrance fronts with double staircases. The interior is very theatrical. The nave is square; flanked by two giant free-standing stone columns with panelled oak galleries above. At each corner is a circular chamber, fronted by a private box. There are some interesting monuments Maria Finch 1745; Admiral John Sayer 1776 by Nollekens; -Bell 1809, Matthew Ffinch 1745, 'John Harrison, founder and first surgeon of Greenwich Hospital 1753 and Dr Burney, the literary scholar and collector, 1817. There is also a bust of Burney. Colourful windows by Alan Younger 1996 in memory of David Diamond Rector of Deptford 1969-92. Fine plasterwork on the oak ceiling, the mural by Henry 1725. The coat of arms of Queen Anne, pulpit designed by John James 1721, and two box-pews. The Romanesque font came from Rochester Cathedral 1897. Lions of the Cross brought here from St Michaels Ham in the early 1970s. The organ is 1748. Cannon from the Dockyard with the legend - 'Princess Margaret fired this cannon to mark the opening of Deptford Festival 1971'. The crypt is contemporary and extends the whole width of the church.
Churchyard with table tombs and gravestones. A large tomb, probably 13th found during excavations in Brookmill Road 1868. Obelisk to the Stone family 1807. Grave of Father David Diamond 1992, the only burial permitted in the churchyard since the 1850s. The walls are part early 18th and that beyond the south-east wall is of a former Baptist graveyard, and is also 18th. 600 year old coffin within the graveyard entrance found nin 1868.
Drinking fountain 1914 by the Metropolitan Gardens Association in memory of Hugh Taylor 1910 erected by his daughter.
Old Meeting House. Baptist church which was at the, back of St.Paul's. originally built in 1674, possibly remodelled in the 19th or 18th. It was a plain rectangle of London stock and red brick, much redone. Demolished
Underground passage said to lead from a house in Church Street, to St.Nicholas, Deptford.
Trinity House Hospital. Demolished. The almshouses were established in 1670 to provide housing to the members. They were demolished in 1877.
Birds Nest Theatre pub. Was previously The Oxford Arms. Comfortably furnished two-bar local offering an interesting range of real ales. Guest beers featured. Pub has an upstairs theatre for various events
Royal Eagle. An early theatre near the Oxford Arms, with actors likes Edmund Kean. It could seat 900 people but was closed in the 1860s, as a nuisance. The building was used as a school, then as a china and glass warehouse, afterwards as a chapel. Public dinners, balls, meetings and concerts were held there and it later became a coffee house
Railway viaduct. Brick viaduct is 3 ¾ miles long. Contractor was Hugh MacIntosh. First bricks laid in April 1834 and the completed viaduct had 878 arches. Largest brick structure in the world.

Deptford Creek
Ravensbourne River. Important for flounders, eels and -nurseries for both as well as for sand gobies. There are black redstarts and river birds like herons, and cormorants. Other species include 100 sorts of spiders, woodlice, flyboat back beetle and some rarities.V2 17th March 1945 in mud. Coal barge Cosmic sunk. Wharf, cranes, etc., damaged.

Deptford Green
Deptford Strond of Trinity House. The streets still follow their 17th and earlier course. Deptford Strond is the bit to the south.
St.Nicholas Church, the original parish church of Deptford. A church has stood here since at least the 12th. The foundations of the tower are 13th and the tower itself early 14th of Kentish rag with stone dressings of c. 1500. A carpenter, Charles Stanton rebuilt the church in 1697 and the top stage of the tower was reconstructed in 1903-4. T. F. Ford & Partners repaired the body of the church in 1958, after Second World War bombing. There are gables with scrolls and cherubs and a tower, probably c1716. Inside it is almost square following partitioning in 1958 to create community rooms at the back. In the tower is an early 14th spiral staircase of Purbeck marble. Wood work by Grinling Gibbons including an oak reredos, There is a Jacobean pulpit with twisted balusters, supported by a cherub, made from a ship's figurehead; a classical organ case of 1697, with angel and cherubs; a Lord's table c1650; a copy of a painting of Queen Anne by Sir Godfrey Kneller; a font designed by Thomas Ford; an old chair presented by Trinity House; a copy of the coat of arms of William & Mary, 1697. Memorials: John Ilkley, 1606 a master shipwright at the Dockyard. tablet to shipbuilder Jonas Shish 1680; alabaster monument to Roger Hope, 1615, with kneeling figure and skull;; a cartouche to Isaac Loader and other benefactors of the church, by Thomas Lucas 1701; a tablet to children of the diarist Evelyn; a tablet to Admiral Sir Richard Hughes 1779; a 1957 tablet 'to the immortal memory of Christopher Marlowe, who met a tragic death near this spot in 1593. Plaque to men of Deptford Power Station killed in the Second World War; However the best , including one by Gibbons, were destroyed in the war but Roger Boyle 1615 remains in alabaster, with a kneeling figure and skull.
Churchyard. A tall brick wall, in part early 17th century around it. There are many table tombs, and tablets among them a 1993 tablet inscribed 'Near this lie the mortal remains of Christopher Marlowe who met his untimely death Deptford on 30th May 1593. There are London planes and ferns.
Charnel house. A monument to Peter Pett. In brick with a high pitched roof, c1701; its interior has been altered, and it is sometimes used as a workshop. A wooden tablet, probably by Gibbons, which was over the entrance door, is now in the church.
Gates. The gate piers are 17th and topped by skulls crowned with laurel wreaths, and crossbones -which are 1994 replicas.
Trinity Hall. Near St. Nicholas Church. In 1513 a group of mariners sent a petition to Henry VIII about the need for qualified sailors to pilot ships on the River Thames. Henry gave a charter to form what later became the Trinity House Corporation. The Corporation's headquarters, along with almshouses, were established at Trinity Hall. They moved to Tower Hill in the 17th but the Hall was still there as late as 1850 and was the venue of the annual Trinity House election on Trinity Monday. Trinity House was probably was named after Trinity Hall.
Trinity House. 25 almshouses which became Rose Cottages The almshouses were established in 1670 to provide retirement housing to the members of Trinity House. They were demolished in 1877
St.Nicholas' House. A large U-shaped block on Deptford Green was built for workers at Deptford Power Station. 1926

Deptford High Street
Was Butt Lane. The south of the street is largely pedestrianised for the Market.
26 site of Elizabetth Place
43 Was the Red Lion
52 Deptford Arms. Listed pub previously the Duke of Cambridge.  Signage includes the Invicta 
71 Pawnbroker with three balls sign
82 Was the Prince Regent Pub
124 Job Centre, site of Congregational church
125 St.Paul's House social services office- a brick building with odd features. It was built 1914 as the Rectory for St Paul’s and remained in this use until 1949
126 Mechanics Arms. An Edwardian pub with a cupola, Closed and used as a restaurant.
131 Presbytery for our Lady of the Assumption. 1855, the former porch, c1860, is used for storage.
144a, site of Quaker Meeting House – has a plaque inscribed: 'Deptford Friends Meeting House stood here, demolished 1907. Peter the Great Tsar of Russia worshipped here 1697-8.' The present building, faced with white and green stone tiles, is 1926 
160/162 . A 17th pub. Royal Oak 1846
161 Windsor Castle
174 The Pilot. Later called The Ballylane Inn, a tall and narrow classical pub, 1850.
181-195 Hamilton Place. A unified composition of 1844, with well-preserved Upper floors. On the site of Tindernbox Row
197 Shades Snooker & Pool Club. This was Deptford Electric Palace Cinema. The original mid 19th building, was formerly the booking hall of the Cinema. It was on the corner of and Hyde Street and opened on 24th December 1910. In 1945, it was re-named Palace Cinema and closed on 18th December 1954. And later converted into a supermarket. In the -1960's it became a bingo club. In 1989, it was converted into a snooker club.
201-203 a late 17th century timber-framed house, the front having been altered
204 Manze's Eel and Pie Shop
217 Mamie O'Leary's. was The White Swan Hotel. There has been a pub on the site since the 18th. It formerly incorporated a music-hall and also used for Petty Sessions. This was the start point for the Stage Coach. The present building is basically early 19th, though the roof-line and ground floor were altered later. Note the swan at the corner apex
223 Costcutter. A fine building c1828, formerly the Red Cow pub.
Anchor at the junction with Deptford Broadway. Placed there 1988.
Railway Bridge over the High Street originally had Dudley Arches. The Turnpike Trust said it had to be single span iron bridge at right angles and they had to They lower the road. Renewed in 1963.
Chimney was a sewer vent owned by TWA. Demolished 1990
Dean Stanhope or Bluecoat School. In 1714 George Stanhope, the vicar 1702- 1728, founded a charity to clothe and educate 25 boys and 25 girls. It amalgamated with John Addey's charity to form the Addey & Stanhope School which moved to its present location in New Cross Road in 1899 after which the High Street building was replaced by shops.
Deptford Station. 8th February 1836. Between Greenwich and London Bridge on South Eastern Trains. The original Deptford Station from which the first train left in February 1836 was pretty minimal. In the early 1840s it was rebuilt to designs by George Smith with a turret based on the Choragic Monument of Lysicarates. On the street. It is London's oldest working railway station, but nothing remains of the original. In 1839 there was a waiting room but down passengers could only get out by walking over the rails. The Coke pile, carriage house and engine shed were at the London end on the southern side. There was a Turntable by Bramah and Co at the end of inclined plane plus a second engine shed 1848 and workshops. The Parapets are the remains of the walls and staircase. The steps to the railway were brick and there were no platforms on the viaduct but there was an arched roof in 1856. The booking office was at the foot of the steps and there were two gas lamps. The platforms were laid across the High Street Bridge for the 1876 extension to Charlton. The station was rebuilt 1904 with new waiting rooms There was a cistern for water & steam pump and a chimney. In 1912 there was also a gents & porters room but the engine pit below was used by a brass foundry, the station was closed 1915-1926. It was rebuilt again in 1927, with platform canopie
Railway Arches. Workshops were in the arches from the station, Gordons, later of Deptford Green were in the first two arches on the London side and ground in front.
Fire Hydrant by 153
Fire Hydrant by Albury Street junction .no makers name
Inclined plane. ramp originally with rails, designed by George Landmann 1836; it was used for hauling rolling stock to an engine shed after repair in the yard. It is parallel with the street, then turns sharply eastwards. The arches are occupied by small businesses. The enclosed Quadrangle was sold in 1842 to the Mechanics Institute.
Our Lady of the Assumption. Roman Catholic church of 1844 In yellow brick with shiny lancet openings. The nave was built in 1845; the rest in 1859. A pretty ogee-shaped doorway with a fine stone carving of the 'Descent into Hell', probably c1878. Chapel of the Sacred Heart 1886 by F. A. Walters.
Signal box was at the London end on the walls of the old engine shed. They had the key to unlock Creek Bridge., closed 1915, and reopened 1926. At the west end is a large vacant space where the box was.

Edward Street
Was Loving Edward Lane

Egerton Drive
Jubilee Estate housing built 1974 on the site of Jubilee Almshouses. They were originally to commemorate the Jubilee of George III.

Frankham Street
Was Regent Street.
Tidemill School
Hills & Sons, tallow manufacturers 19th

Giffin Street
Fairground was here with iron hoops & gas lamps braced. Used for market barrows. Brick chimney which stood here has now gone
Wavelengths Leisure Centre. Wavelengths a low uninspired building of 1991, combining a swimming pool and a library.
Deptford Market Women and Children’s Centre
Public toilets newish

Greenwich High Road
Part of new road from to north end of Friendly Street.
17 Greenwich Inn. Live music and so on. Was formerly the Red Lion. Cast iron columns in the front. Closed 2008.
21 part of Mumford’s Mill
23 houses 1810-20 also connected to Mumford’s Mill.
26-32 Mumford’s Granary. Aston Webb 1897. The last remnant of a major grain-milling centre with a silo in Venetian style facing Deptford Creek. Listed Grade II. Converted to housing.
39 Hope House National Probation Service building. Site of Hope Wharf
43-81 Merryweather's Fire Engine Works since 1660s fire engines turntables and all sorts and supplied them worldwide. Royal Patent holders. Also specialist in problems, ladders for all users, the firm opened the Greenwich works in 1876. 1919 buildings by Campbell Jones, Sons and Smiths. Bombed in 1944 and so rebuilt with an art deco frontage on the road. Demolished in 2008
57 Bar was the Rose of Denmark. Inn sign once showed the Danish flag.
131 North Pole pub. May have been the Duke of Gloucester in the18th but this pub has been here since at least 1833.
135 listed
136-138 Langdale and Selbourne, part of Queen Elizabeth College. 18th Listed Grade II.
141 West Greenwich House. Classical brick and stone former vestry hall of 1876 by W. W Allen Greenwich Board of Works. Formerly Greenwich Public Offices. This district board of works office was built in 1876-7 following a maladminstered, if not corrupt, competition, won by W.Wallen, a local architect. It is thinly Italianate, but looked less squarely domestic before it lost its clock tower. Dome and portico. Used as a town hall until 1939 it has latterly been a community centre.
161 Davy's Wine Vaults. For a while named ‘Colonel Jasper’s’ with bare brick and sawdust on the floor. The buildings were part of Lovibond's Brewery 1865. It was on the tower principle and enlarged. Yeoman Ale and Stout. Frontage is now housing. This block is also called Blue Stile.
163 part of Lovibonds Brewery and once called Athelney House
165 listed.
Blue Stile was a block which extended as far as the railway and was between the Vicar’s Glebe and the High Road.
Factory building for Dunlop Tyres 1960s became Mitchells, and then Perkins Toys. Demolished.
Lambard Villas. Housing by Samuel Harris 1860s as the earliest part of the Ashburnham development
LESC building. Electricity sub-station company's initials on the lintel LESC A survival from the earliest days of electricity supply. Probably 1920s.
Lovibonds Brewery had been the Nags Head Brewery in Creek Road and moved here in 1865. They took over other breweries and became a very large wine and spirit dealer with 80 outlets. Closed 1962.
Queen Elizabeth's Almshouses. Said to be the first charitable institution begun in England after the Reformation. The buildings are probably by Jessie Gibson, 1819, but it was endowed originally by William Lambarde, historian Lord of the Manor of Westcombe in 1576 to care for some twenty poor men and their wives. It was taken over by the Drapers Company 1817. And their crest is on the gables. Chapel with 1974 anniversary window. .
Rose and Crown. The pub name symbolises the union of York and Lancaster in the marriage of Henry VI and Elizabeth of York.
Watch house built by the Parish between Ashburnham Place and Egerton Drive. In 1822 it was the Parish lock up. Later used as a house.

Guildford Grove
55 Guildford Arms. Closed. Converted from a doctor’s surgery in 1822.

Haddo Street
18 Bell Pub. Now flats

Hales Street.
Princess Louise Institute site of Deptford Ragged School. Built 1910 and has a history of community related uses, most recently managed by the Shaftesbury Society.

Hughes Fields
Housing inherited from Metropolitan Board of Works, 1895 London County Council housing. Built to rehouse working classes from the power station
Hughes Field Primary School - London County Council. Well designed
Charlotte Turner School closed.

Kay Way
Named for architect Joseph Kaye – who designed many local buildings
Loading bay of the brewery

Lamb Lane
In the 18th this ran between Greenwich church and river. Beyond it lay open ground called Brooks Marsh and the lane going to Deptford Creek where there was a Sunday ferry taking Foot passengers only.

Lamerton Street
Was Queen Street. . A narrow cobbled street, has on both sides a sequence of houses of 1989 with colourful post-modernist porches

Lovegrove Place
11 Home of Peter Cunningham and friend of Robert Burns, surgeon on Convict ships to New South Wales
Salvation Army Citadel, originally Wesleyan Chapel, 1803

McMillan Street
Was called Flagon Row and then Wellington Street
37 Duke of Wellington. Closed and demolished
74 McMillans became vegan restaurant, now closed
Armada Hall
McMillan Herb Garden. Set up by Deptford Discovery in the 1990s.

Mechanics Passage
Renamed Resolution Way
Boulevard. The only substantial surviving section of ‘boulevard’ walkway, which flanked the original railway viaduct in 1836. . It extends to Deptford Church Street, with small businesses in many of the arches; and continues through the Crossfield Estate.
Wheelwrights shop

Millennium Quay
Statue of Peter the Great
Globe in the river offshore

New King Street
14 Osborne Arms
60 Navy Arms. Pleasant pub with superb Truman sign. Closed

Norman Road
Norman Road was built by the London and Greenwich Railway as rails went from North Pole to the railway arches in 1842 because the viaduct was inaccessible. Was near old footpath called Faulkners Road in 1842. It became North Pole Lane going to the arches and Railway Place going to the river. Norman was the man whose osier beds they went over
53 Nasemell, National Enamels Ltd., operated by Gas and Products for the local gas industry
Fry Bros Efbee Water Softeners
Deptford Sewage Pumping Station. Lifts sewage from three south London sewers into the Southern Outfall Sewer going to Crossness Works and was part of the System set up by Bazalgette Dates from 1864 when it had four beam engines and ten Cornish boilers. Had a local hydraulic power station. It was the first big pumping station erected for the Metropolitan Main Drainage. It is like the stable block of a Georgian country house, plus an octagonal lantern over each engine house. There are two beam-engine houses in white brick with stone dressings, and a boiler house. c. 1905. Electric and diesel pumps of 1934 replaced the original four beam engines. Still in use.
Coal sheds used originally to store for fuel brought in from the creek 1864. Open-sided with arched open-web cast-iron girders, a little old-fashioned for 1859, and wrought-iron roof trusses.
High-level interceptor sewer. This is the Effra Sewer from Herne Hill via Peckham and New Cross which here meets the middle level interceptor sewer from Balham Hill via Clapham High Street, Stockwell and Brixton and also the low level interceptor sewer via Old Kent Road and Bermondsey. The sewage is raised 20 ft to others and taken to Plumstead
Brewery Wharf. Prior Transport/Ready Mix. Occupied by Prior Aggregates;
Gas Holder Station. Built by Phoenix Gas Co. 1859s and taken over by South Met. Gas. Demolished 1960s.
Phoenix Wharf (Eastwood's Lime and Cement Works).

Norway Road
Dowell's Wharf, Parry Metals. Former coal wharf. Gone.
Ravensbourne Gas Light and Coke Co. This was a Company set up by Mr. Gosling to manage a works he had contracted to build for Greenwich Vestry. What remained of the Company's assets were taken over by Phoenix Gas Company, itself taken over by south Metropolitan in 1888.Site is unclear and may have consisted only of a tiny wharf off Norway Street
Kent Iron Works

Prince Street
116 Dog and Bell. Famous free house on the Thames path, in the back streets of well worth seeking out always a selection of beers from small breweries and in winter a real fire. It is suitable for a peaceful pint, free from piped music; entertainment includes a bar billiards table and a quiz on Sunday evening. A small patio at the rear is available for summer drinking. Tiny ex-Fullers pub in the backstreets whose reputation for good beer has spread far and wide
Convoys office building with a gabled side facing the street entrance late 19th.

Reginald Road
V1 1944 first V1 in Deptford. Worst of the buzz bombs. The 1870s square completely collapsed, damage into the High Street. 17 died,

Roan Street
92 Greycoat Boy. Closed and now flats

An area of marsh until c.1800. Called Stowage because of the East India Co store, osiers, etc. Now all Fairview Homes and Stowage itself has been wrecked. The little road gave access onto private quays.
Rachel Mcmillan Nursery. located behind the old Rachel McMillan College, and on the same site as the open-air nursery school opened by Margaret Macmillan and her sister Rachel in 1914. The building to the right of the entrance is almost certainly an original nursery school building of 1917. In the garden is a memorial to Margaret McMillan, a stone circular column, 1937 or 1938; its decorated base has a ring of children with linked hands, and animals and plants in bas-relief, attributed to Eric Gill. Plaque saying ‘Margaret Mcmillan, 1860-1931, pioneer of nursery education, lived here'.
Thanet Wharf, eastern bit of Power Station of Stowage was Patent Fuel Co wharf
General Steam Navigation. Depot and base for river going and channel steamers here,
Deptford Power Station. Site of world's first high pressure electricity power station for the London Power Co. Built 1889 by Sebastien de Ferranti, engineer to the London Electric Supply Corporation, 1887. All that was left were remains of the engine house wall with Gothic Arches on the south face of the 1940s power station. Built to generate high tension power over a long distance. Coal cranes 1920s. Some power was sent to the West End.
Deptford East Power Station for railway power for traction. Designed by De Ferranti. PLUTO.
Deptford Power Station west, 1939 for grid generally. Coal to jetty and demolished. From 1870s a great increase in colliers using the river.
Shipbuilders. The western section was successively Barnard's Shipyard (by 1837); C.Lungley & Co's Shipyard (c.1845-65); Deptford Dry Docks (to 1920s); London Power Co Dockyard Charles Lungley, 1814, Dry dock with an Barge entrance lock and an elastic basin, moved to Mare 1866

Tarves Way
New Haddo Estate. Demolished.

Thames Street
Granoplast Wharf. ARC Minerals road stone works. site of Gasworks - Phoenix Co. 1826. South Metropolitan from 1882. Closed 1915. Tank 1852 gas holder used as ballast storage pit remained until the 1990s. Some buildings remain. The gas works was in operation until 1910 when it was used for other production by South Met.
Dreadnought Wharf, name from seaman’s hospital ship, which lay off it. Rennie Shipyard sold in 1915 to Tilbury Contracting and Dredging Co. name on the gate. Gone

Watergate Street,
Was Old King Street, or Back Lane

Booth. The Streets of London
Bygone Kent
Caroline’s Miscellany. Web site
Closed Pubs. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London,
Field.  Place names of London
GLIAS Newsletter  
GLIAS- walk
Kent Rail. Web site
Lewisham Local History Society. Transactions,
Lewisham Local History Society. Byway leaflets
London Borough of Lewisham. Web site,
Pevsner and Cherry. South London
Port of London Magazine
Pub History. Web site.
Spurgeon. Deptford and Lewisham,
Steele. Deptford,
Thames Basin Archaeology of Industry Group. Report
Thomas. London’s First Railway, the London and Greenwich
Transpontine. Web site
Up the Creek
Woolworths Museum. Lest We Forget New Cross. Web site

Comments said…
The cattle trough in Creek Road has gone.
Sue said…
Great resource, but much has changed, even the historical facts. Would you like some help updating this section?

Popular posts from this blog

Bromley by Bow

South Norwood

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town