Thames Tributary River Peck - East Dulwich
A number of springs and streamlets contribute to the stream in Peckham Rye Park.
The slightly more downmarket bit of Dulwich but rapidly becoming fashionable around Peckham Rye
Post to the north Peckham Rye
Post to the east Honor Oak
Post to the south Forest Hill
Named after Sir Charles Barry, 1867, designer of Houses of Parliament and Surveyor of Dulwich College
Emmanuel United Reform Church. Built 1890 it would look like a Church of England church if it was not for the Sunday School next door. It is a large ragstone building with a prominent spire ending the view down Barry Road. By W. D. Church, 1890-1.
Crystal Palace Road
CPT pub. Was the Crystal Palace Tavern
The Uplands, was The Uplands Tavern
5 Percy Oliver – Oliver was a Camberwell local government officer, involved in the Red Cross and instrumental in setting up the blood donor service.
East Dulwich Community Centre
Forest Hill Road
2 Herne Tavern. LOLA (Leave Our Local Alone) successfully fought to stop this community pub from being turned into a restaurant; it is now part of a pub group previously owned by Scottish & Newcastle. Comfortable, wood-panelled interior
36 Blue plaque to the birthplace of Boris Karloff – real name William Pratt
108 Forest Hill Tavern. Traditional Trueman style. Current calls itself FHT,
Camberwell Old Cemetery. In 1855 The Camberwell Burial Board bought 30 acres of meadow land to use as the Burial Ground of St Giles, Camberwell. There were burials from 1856 and it is now owned by LB Southwark. By 1984, 300,000 burials had been carried out. It covers 38 acres and had three chapels, two by George Gilbert Scott - Church of England, Nonconformist and Roman Catholic – they were all damaged in Second World War bombing The Catholic Chapel was demolished in the 1970s and only a Gothic lodge now remains of the original buildings. Secondary woodland and scrub have developed which includes oak, hornbeam, ash, horse chestnut, poplar, sycamore and hawthorn. Some specimen trees remain and there are old boundary oak pollards as well as pear and a black poplar. Brambles and ivy sometimes cover graves First World War memorial near the entrance. Memorials to: James Berkeley who built the an Indian railway line; Rebekah Horniman; Richard Wallis, clerk to Camden Chapel; Charles Waters of the International Bible Reading Association; George Yanni who murdered three Armenians.. Features in the film 'Entertaining Mr. Sloane’.
The name relates to the old manor of Freryn Camberwell taking the Middle English word ‘frère’ when the area belonged to Holywell Priory on Shoreditch
Friern Manor Farm. Friern Road and surrounding Victorian streets in East Dulwich were built on land of Friern Manor and Friern Farm Friern Manor Estate was put up for auction in 1864, and the farm sold in 1873. Within two years later roads had been laid across most of the fields
Friern Manor had been built by Lord St.John in 1720 to replace a much older house, which was at least Tudor, and where Alexander Pope is supposed to have written Essay on Man. Sold in 1864.
Friern Farm. This farm in the Middle Ages was owned by the Priory in Shoreditch. In 1853 it was Wright’s Dairy Farm which kept 186 cows in sheds, lit by gas. Fourteen people were employed to do the milking spending 17 minutes per cow . The milk reached London at 5 a.m. and 1 p.m.
St.Clement with St.Peter. The parish was formed in 1886 and a church built in 1883 of red brick and stone in the style of the 13th. It had started in the 1870's as a mission church of St. John's, East Dulwich. It was destroyed in bombing in 1940, and after the war the present church was built and consecrated in 1957. The new building is modern on a slightly elevated site with a separate prefabricated church hall behind. In 1986 it was amalgamated with St.Peter Dulwich Common.
VII and Bomb, 11 died, 1944 between Friern Road and Barry Road
Named in 1868 for the Bishop of Ely in 1534
Goodrich Community Primary School. Old board school
Named for Tudor impresario, Philip Henslowe, who was also Alleyn's father in law
Henslow Bus Co., said to be based here in an old Camberwell Borough Council Yard. This was a speculative private bus company set up to make money out of buses between the wars.
V1 1944 at the south end. 2 houses were demolished and many others damaged. Part of the site remained with 1940's prefabs erected into the 1990s.
24 home and workshop of potter Lucy Burley
52a converted car servicing garage has become a studio for potter Julian Stair. Kilns and clay store at ground level and office and gallery at the mezzanine.
Named for events in the Crimean War
Baptist Church being converted to flats. Built in 1891 to the design of George Baines. Was the base for T.Austin Sparks who went on to found a world wide training base from a nearby college.
School gateways remain from Friern School, opened in 1896 and designed by T.J. Bailey of the London School Board architects’ department. It is in Queen Anne Style, and uses inventive techniques in environmental design, maximising daylight and fresh air with operable windows and natural ventilation systems. This school is made of high quality "red rubber" and hand-cut bricks with Portland stone decorative detailing, set against a complimentary field of London stock bricks.
The Elms. Grade II listed with its own gate into the park.
Peckham Rye Park. In 1890 Peckham Rye Common was extended by 49 acres of Homestall Park. This was done by The Borough of Camberwell who gave £20,000, the London County Council £18,000, and the Charity Commissioners £12,000. In 1890 Homestall farm was still there and what became the stage was one of the farm huts. Whalebone arches were a popular feature in the Park and were given by a Homestall Road resident where they had been in his garden. The Park opened on Whit Monday, 14 May 1894 with a procession of trade and temperance society bands and banners, marching from Camberwell. There is a secluded Woodland Walk. The Sexby Garden is a rose garden enclosed by 100-year old yew hedges and a pergola clad in climbing roses, commemorating the parks designer.
Peck River. The bed of the River Peck, is on the west side of the park near the former Friern School. Two tributaries of the Peck joined here and continued underground. The Valley pond and a bit of stream in the Park are the remains of it. The Silted ponds were the carp ponds of the Manor of Bretinghursts.
Named for events in the Crimean War
Named for events in the Crimean War
Honor Oak Mansions. Grade II listed.
Prefabs – remain on a site cleared as the result of a V1 in 1944
Local field name
Summerhouse Primary Referral Unit
131 oriental style garden with ponds and waterfall shaded by black bamboo. Winding path of paddle stones passes 2 'dinosaur eggs under an 'umbrella' tree. Tall bamboo.
British History on Line, Dulwich
Clunn. The Face of London
Darby. Dulwich. A Place in History
Emmanuel URC. Web siteField. London Place Names
Forest Hill Tavern. Web site
Goodrich School. Web site
Green. Around Dulwich
Herne Tavern. Web site
London Borough of Southwark. Web site
Nature Conservation in Southwark
Pevsner and Cherry. South London