Thames Tributary Ravensbourne - Quaggy - Mottingham
The Quaggy continues northwards to the Ravensbourne, joined by the Little Quaggy slightly south of the A20.
Post to the north Eltham Common
Houses with mock Tudor gables.
41-51 V2 7 killed. Four houses destroyed and 450 damaged. Search dogs located four bodies under the wreckage
King John's Walk
An old path between Mottingham and Eltham, which joins Mottingham Lane
Means the ‘'village of the followers or family of Moda'.
This was the original village street of Mottingham. Also called Lodge Lane. The Mottingham boundary ran from the bridge over the Quaggy to the Little Quaggy and then east to Park Pale.
Colview Court. Built 1967 on the site of Mottingham House - a late 18th house.
Old Chapel. Originally this was a mid 19th outbuilding of Mottingham House. Tudor foundations were found during building work.
Culver. A mid 19th building, but the brickwork was altered when Mottingham House was used as a Roman Catholic school and orphanage in the 1890s.
St Vincent. Mid 19th building, also altered in connection with Mottingham House
The Copse. A late 19th red brick cottage, altered in 1911. In the gatepost is a late Victorian wall letter-box.
Cedar Mount. At the eastern end is a Gothic coach-house from a late 19th house since demolished.
The Chantry forbidding house of c1860, with decorative details. Coach-house on the east side.
Mottingham Farm. This was a working farm until the 1950s, but it is now used as riding stables. The fields extend north to Sidcup Road. The earliest farm house of 1859 is a white building and there are other farm buildings from c1900,
Cley Cottage. Was built in 1862 as the newer farmhouse.
The Grange. A large house c1860, with a an entrance stairway now used as Eltham College Junior School.
Grange Lodge. c1860. Original iron gates
Entrance drive which once went between the Lodge and the Grange has been developed with modern houses.
Fairmount. House c1870. Blue plaque to the cricketer W.G. Grace, who lived here 1909- 1915. Grace played cricket for Eltham Cricket Club until 1914. Now an old people’s home.
The Lodge. The lodge for a mid 19th house called Woodcroft, now demolished, which was on the site of Carters Hill Close.
Woodcroft. An outbuilding from a mid 19th house called Woodcroft,
Maclntyre Nature Reserve. This follows the banks of the Quaggy River, passes ponds, woodland and rough grassland. Maclntyre is an organisation which arranges workshops, and training for mentally handicapped persons. It was opened in 1987, and is on part of the grounds of Grove Park Hospital. It includes a garden centre and enclosures for farmyard animals.
Mottingham Farm Fields. Fields which stretch down to Sidcup Road, now used by the riding stables.
Little Quaggy, runs near Sidcup Road. Joining the Quaggy in a field at the western end. It forms the borough boundary. River bank and wet land plants. An older the name is Middle Park Water
Road was opened in 1923 in a project to help the unemployed
Harmony Wood. An oblong of grassland where clumps of saplings and shrubs have been planted in the eastern half in 1986 by children. The chap from the wildlife group pulled them all up and was sued by the council.
Grassland divided by A20. North of the road the acid grassland rises to the two railway.
Dutch House. This roadhouse-type pub of 1938 has ‘Dutch’ features, including curved gables in front, stepped gables at the sides, and a plaque of a couple in period dresses under orange trees.