Thames Tributary Ravensbourne
The Quaggy continues northwards to the Ravensbourne
Post to the north Mottingham
Post to the south Elmstead Woods
Grove Park Hospital.
Built as a Workhouse for Greenwich – so opposition from locals at the time. Designed by the Local Government Board Architect Dinwiddy. In 1904. During the First World War it became the Army Services Corps HQ and was used as a barracks. Transferred from the Metropolitan Asylums Board to London County Council and became a TB isolation hospital in 1926. Most recently it was used as a mental handicap hospital. Now private housing but the gatehouse and frontage have been kept.
Grove Park Estate
Built by Lewisham council in the late 1920s. 44 acres
Grove Park Road
Once called West Chislehurst Park.
1 – 7 with brick towers.
Eltham College. At the centre is a classical building built in 1856, originally known as Fairy Hall and part of an estate built on the site of an 18th building. From 1889 to 1911 it was the Royal Naval School, which had moved here from New Cross. In 1912 it became the School for the Sons of Missionaries, which had moved from Blackheath Village, and was then, renamed Eltham College. It has a classical portico and parapet, with a Flag- topped. Tower. Foundation stone of the Royal Naval School; 1843 moved here in 1889. Chapel of 1903, with patterned brickwork. Inside is a central hall, with a gallery, and a decorated roof. Former pupils of the college include Eric Liddell, athlete of Chariots of Fire fame, Mervyn Peake, author of the Gormenghast trilogy, and Fenner Brockway, former MP.
Very extensive grounds including one of the largest plane trees in London. In the park in 1585 three elm trees disappeared into the ground
Mottingham Sports Ground.
2 Sydenham Cottages. Pump in the garden
47 garden with borders, alpine beds, fruits and vegetables and three greenhouses with displays of cacti and succulents.
Osborne. Defending London