Thames Tributary Earl Sluice
Earl Sluice is said to follow Albany Road
Post to the north Bricklayers
Post to the west Camberwell Road
Post to the east Peckham Park Road
Old towpath on the Peckham Branch of the Grand Surrey Canal. It is a right of way and cannot be closed. There were once houses on it.
This is the area of Walworth common and known for footpads
Created in the 1950s and 1960s it covers 135 acres and includes London's largest post-war lake. It began as North Camberwell Open Space, in 1965 it was St George's Park and eventually late 1960s Burgess Park named after Jessie Burgess, Camberwell's first woman mayor. In 1943 the Abercrombie plan put forward the opportunity to create a park out of a bomb sites. The park grew along the route of the Surrey Canal. Some fragmented pieces of green; they were at last linked up in 1980-2.
Grand Surrey Canal. The last barge was in 1945 and it was drained in 1960. It crossed Wells Way in an area now in the park. On the north bank was a coal wharf, which had once been the site of a brewery.
Old lime kiln. Thus was originally in Burtt's Yard and it is all that remains of Burtt's Limeworks which opened in 1816, soon after the Grand Surrey Canal was built. Originally raw materials were delivered to the kiln by barge. It was used to heat limestone and convert it into quicklime used in building cement.
Depression in the South East corner. Depression marks the site of the junction of Peckham branch of the canal built in 1826.
Trafalgar Bridge. Tolls were collected here from Offices on the north bank west of the bridge. 'Grand Surrey Canal House' was here until the 1930s
Chumleigh Multicultural Gardens: based around the Almshouses of the Friendly Female Society Estate 1821 and later bits 1844/47. A plaque on the building used to read: 'The Friendly Female Asylum for aged persons who have seen better days. Erected and supported by voluntary contributions 1821. In 1871 the almshouses had forty-one residents. It is a range of brick houses around which gardens have been built, plus the headquarters of the Parks Ranger Service. Most British gardens contain plants from many different countries. Plants can provide a means of learning about different cultures. A walled garden was built here in the hope that its shelter would provide a micro-climate for some of the less hardy plants. Visitors can discover the origins of plants they see daily – for instance in the African and Caribbean Garden the species such as tree ferns, bamboos and large leafed plants. In the Islamic Garden, the pond makes a geometric centrepiece with a feather palm in the middle. There is also a Vegetable Garden, with raised beds to demonstrate the ways different food plants and herbs are used and grown by specific cultures
Rawlings mineral water works there in the 1890s
Named for Leopold of Saxe-Coburg, who married Princess Charlotte, the daughter of George IV.
99 New Peckham Turkish Mosque. In St.Mark’s. part designed by Norman Shaw but not completed until 1932. Hall-church with octagonal brick piers and wooden vaults: The woodwork was of pine, stained green.
Football Foundation, Burgess Park Fields
Cobourg Community Primary SchoolRosett Place. Stark late Georgian houses 1822
2 Acorns retro-eco-house. The only retro-zero carbon house in London. Sustainable features on 5 eco technologies.
14 St.George's Tavern. Built about 1800. Old photos on the walls. The Cellar, stairs and passageway are said to be haunted by the mother-in-law of a former licensee, who died as a result of a fall in the cellar many years ago. May be closed
Trinity College Centre
Bradfield Community and Youth Centre
Ornamental wrought-iron bridge 1872 over the Grand Surrey Canal.
Cottage Green Chapel
Rainbow cottage, Robert Browning's birthplace. Plaque on the corner of the street
Site is now inside the park east of Chumleigh Gardens
Watkins & Co Ltd factory. They were Book Binders who bound Bibles for the British and Foreign Bible Society. The factory was bombed during the Second World War but was rebuilt. The firm closed down in 1977.
Site is now inside the park, it ran parallel with Wells Way north of Neate Street
R. White's main mineral water factory is in the street.
Site of All Saints Church. This was built in 1894 and was a gift of the Gooch family in memory of Charles Cubitt Gooch. After the Second World War it was demolished, taken to Biggin Hill and rebuilt there
Grand Surrey Canal. The canal route to Peckham here is east of the junction with Camberwell Branch. The site of the depot became a playground.
Derwent Wharf South of playground. Used for packing cases and wood
Terrace houses villas with giant pilasters. Especially worthwhile pairs linked by shallow arches, two storeys above basements
41 Glengall Arms. Pub now flats
49-53 Polyester Converters Ltd
57 Kofo House, Gadmon
62 site of Edison Bell works, gramophone records made there,
Chubb's lock and safe works.
The same motifs on houses occur as in Glengall Road c. 1843-5
Gloucester Grove Estate
The Estate was designed and built by the Greater London Council in the 1970s. It was then over 1000 properties chained by a series of corridors. In the 1990’s much of the estate was redeveloped and garden and play areas were added plus glass atriums as entrances. Since then more blocks have been demolished and is now only half its original size.
Grand Surrey Canal
Conception by Ralph Dodd who was replaced as engineer by John Rowe in 1802. Only three miles were built when the promoters diverted their attention to the Surrey Docks. The branch to Peckham was added in 1825
Was originally called Workhouse Lane
St.Alban RC 1903 by F. W. Tasker. Romanesque.
R.W.White mineral water factory.
Murder of Damilola Taylor.
Goes through Burgess Park
Enclave of restored early c19 white stucco villas
North Peckham Estate:
Built by Camberwell Met. Borough & Southwark London Borough in 1969. With deck systems and car parks. Seen as enlightened at the time but they became notorious walkways and cramped courtyards. It was at the time an ambitious piece of redevelopment designed in 1965. It had 400 flats in five storey blocks with second floor decks. No towers but it soon became hated.
67-69 Samuel Jones gummed paper factory. Was on the Southampton Way corner. A Camberwell Beauty butterfly was removed from the top of the factory before it was demolished in 1982. In 1865 Samuel purchased property in Peckham Grove and built a small factory at the bottom of his garden at 67 and These houses became part of the site for the factory. In 1886 gumming of paper in reel form was started and in 1924 the firm was awarded the contract for gumming British postage stamps and undertook this in Watford.
Redevelopment of Farnborough Way
St.Luke 1953, begun by A. C. Martin, completed by Milner & Craze. Large, brick, neo-Byzantine, with central crossing tower and apse.
Aged Pilgrims House. 1837 hidden among 1970s flats terraces. Two storeys of brick, with embattled gatehouse. Inside is a quadrangle with a monument to the founder, William Peacock, in the centre. For the purpose of giving life-pensions of ten guineas and five guineas per annum to poor, aged, and infirm Protestants of either sex, and of every denomination. Now converted to flats as Pilrgrim Cloisters
67 Marlborough. Has become and art gallery and music venue
231 George pub. Gone
Once called Rainbow Lane
Stephen Lawrence House. Housing on site of the Rosemary Branch
Rosemary Branch. The pub had acres of pleasure grounds around it which included Horse racing, cricket, pigeon shooting and all kinds of outdoor sports. The first recorded balloon ascent in Peckham took place from here in 1847... By 1875 the grounds had been almost entirely covered with houses. In the 1890s it was a music hall known as Peckham Theatre of Varieties. Demolished in the 1970s.
179 plaque to Robert Browning. Poet, born and brought up locally.
The Apple Tree pub.
Christ Apostolic Church of Mount Zion
What better inner city view could there be than church, canal, ornate bridge, trees, and boats.
Public baths. Built 1902 by Maurice Adams. A picturesque group with Baroque porch, Gothic gable, Tudor window and a Queen Anne bay-window. Typical of 1900. The Camberwell Beauty butterfly made from coloured tiles is on the side of the old wash-house. It came from the top of the Samuel Jones factory in Peckham Grove.
Library. Funded by Passmore Edwards and designed by Maurice Adams in 1902 along with the baths and wash house
Coal wharf area was alongside the church
Camberwell Library grounds. Open space maintained by the Vestry of Camberwell
Canal Bridge, pretty cast iron railings - also baths, well, lively, 1902 picturesque and typical of 1900. Demolished in 1973. No here bridge originally and road built for the crossing. Underpass for the canal walkway with trees for the Jubilee in 1977 1822
St.George's Church. This is the oldest Anglican church in Camberwell. Built in 1822/4 as a replica of St.John's Waterloo Road. It was closed at the end of 1972, but kept as a focal point for the park. It was built in 1822-4 by Francis Bedford, It originally stood alongside the Surrey Canal close to a bridge. The church was converted in 1993 into thirty one-bedroom flats, built around a central courtyard.
A windmill stood close to the church when it was built among
St.George’s Churchyard. Managed by Vestry of Camberwell
War memorial bronze of 1918 is by Arild Rosenkrantz.
The Well Community Church
Willowbrook Bridge. Was called Taylor’s Bridge. - Ornamental wrought-iron 1870
Milepost - the only survivor is north of the bridge on the old towpath.
48 on canal bank 1826. 1985 restored as Urban Studies Centre. Garden part of public open space
Willowbrook Wharf on both sides of the canal. Mr. Highland with firewood and sewer construction
Hectors. Closed pub