Thames Tributary Ravensbourne
The Ravensbourne is joined by a stream form the west and then continues to flow north to the Thames.
Post to the north Deptford Creek
Post to the west New Cross
Post to the east Blackheath
Post to the south Lewisham
Was Seymour Street, Deptford New Town, 1840s
Was Ormead, later Garden Road and St John's Road, then Albyn. The first bit of Deptford New Town to be built was north of here.
90/134 groups of two, four and six houses, all with cornices; the end houses with full-height shallow bows, the middle ones bracketed hoods and paired doorways.
88 is a modern rebuild
44 Prince Alfred. Small, genuine back street locals’ pub suitable for non-mathematical darts players as it has a scoring machine. Impressive collection of darts trophies. Closed
Deptford New Town 1840s, rest built by 1900
Deal’s Gateway. Named after a mid Victorian coal merchant. Redeveloped and includes a bus turning area.
Merritt and Hatcher. Printed The Mercury from 1833 plus trade journals .demolished
2 George and Dragon 1890.busy local. Late-Victorian Public House design. Dated 1890, building in red brick with windows in Dutch gabled dormers. Forms pair with the "Coach and Horses" opposite
Penn’s home. The Penns occupied the large corner house opposite the George and Dragon with a garden alongside back to John Penn Street.
13 Amari and White Swan, was previously just the White Swan, Victorian pub
31, Catherine House c. 1776 by Michael Searles. Grade II listed.
27-29 33-35 groups of 1848 with wooden trellised verandas, which are the remains of earlier c19 terraces. Notice advertising a plumber. Built on Morden College land.
45 signboard about artificial teeth.
72 With two greyhounds on the top parapet
77-79 Darwin Press in houses c.1820. Was previously Barbers Leathergoods makers.
75a coach house in what was Seagar Sele Road
78 Embassy Restaurant – was the Royal Albert pub. Now a Nigerian restaurant. Previously an Oddfellows Lodge and since a fire in 1990s has had many names.
86 Berryman Printer Steam Press since 1846, Edward Berryman. Same family from the 1970s. In the 1850s it was a Brass and Zinc manufacturer and then the Eagle Press. In the late 1990s done up to become flats and offices.
89-87 Brant Houses 1902 with a plaque. Charitable housing.
Wickes on site of Broomfield’s Bakery. Demolished. Previously site of Penns Engineering Works. The last original building of the Engine Works was the Pattern Shop of c.1863; which lay alongside Ditch Alley which bisected the enlarged works. Before it could be listed, it was demolished. It was on the Broomfield Bakery site which occupied the Penn site east of Ditch Alley; the bakery closed in 1992 The site of the Pattern Shop is now part of the car park for Wickes DIY and the Petsmart superstore. The main entrance to Penns was in Coldbath Street.
Somerset House Laundry and White Line Laundry. Gone
7-9 Magistrates Court, 1909 by Dixon Butler. Dignified stone front with semicircular domed Ionic porch. Butler built 51 police stations.
Central School for Boys Handicraft Centre. Used by the magistrates court as offices, and as the divisional offices of the education welfare service by ILEA. Probably by Robson
Blackheath Road Schools. Built on the site of Catherine Place. Plain, tall, and gabled, 1874, a good example of E.R.Robson's early school buildings. The style was extremely progressive for the time. Originally an infrant5 school it was enlarged from 1876. And became a girls' school. Became SELTEC and an adult education college in the 1980s. Now housing
107 The Graduate – was previously the Coach and Horses. The pub was here from at least the 18th. Victorian building.
Deptford New Town 1840s
16 a house of the 1870s, Lewisham plaque for Thankfull Sturdee 1852-1934, local historian and photographer, 1900-1903. The father of Fleet Street photography, who produced 'Reminiscences of Old Deptford' (1895).
Breakspears Building. Part of Lewisham College. Looks like a multi-storey car park. Greater London Council 1973 - 1960s, with bands of windows and light grey panels, by Thomas and. Buckrell
Was called Mill Lane and used to end at the water works gates
39 Stephen Lawrence Centre. Education centre. Angled façade and aluminium cladding.
Site of water mill - Brook mill. Owned by Brooke and then Evelyn, water from Ravensbourne.
Deptford Water Works: the oldest surviving industrial installation in Deptford. Ravensbourne Water Company was founded here in 1701; water was taken direct from the Ravensbourne. It became Kent Waterworks in 1809; three wells - known as Coldbath, Garden, and The Twins - were sunk about 30 metres into the chalk between 1849 and 1876, and water was not taken from the river after 1862. The Metropolitan Water Board took over in 1903, and sunk a new main well 40 metres deep in 1930, connected by adits or underground passages to the older wells. All these wells are still in use, and supply water to a large area of South East London. The capped tops of the Coldbath and Garden wells are visible. They had Boulton and Watt engines of 1811. They had 8 pumping engines of 858 hp. three engines for lifting water from the wells. In 1921 they were removed and some are at Kempton Park. Scrapped. The site is now bisected by the Docklands Light Railway.
Kent Waterworks head office and manager's house. Used as the regional office.
Cornish Engine House the only 19th engine house remaining. The central two sections are from c1850; the extension one to the left was altered c1922 and the one to the right c1936. It is now used for storage.
Main Engine House. The dominant building on the site. 1932, in red brick. It contains the main well, connected by adits to the other three wells, as well as three well pumps of 1995.
Pump House and modern installations of 1995
Lodging houses - Lamberts Buildings, St Mary's Building and Gutter Buildings 1990
Sterling Brewery, became Deptford Brewery, 1823
Bakery for the Royal Dockyard 1835
Mereton Mansions was Carrington House doss house. Built 1903, on the Rowton model by London County Council. Lord Carrington was the Chairman. Originally a hostel for 803 single men. In 1995 converted to flats. It is a concave building, of red brick and white stone, following the curve in the road.
Sylva Cottages, corner Mill Lane and Friendly Street continue the curve in the road; they were also built in 1903 as part of the same project by London County Council.
Church destroyed by bombs in the war.
Brookmill Nature Reserve. Abandoned railway embankment on both sides of Brookmill Road - the Greenwich Park Line between the former Blackheath Hill and Lewisham Road Stations. The line crossed the road on an embankment, but the bridge and abutments were demolished. It crossed the river on a brick viaduct.
River Ravensbourne, flows through a concrete channel. Before the 18th it divided into two arms here, one which followed the natural meanders and followed the boundary lines, and one which provided the head of water for the mill, and later the water works.Public conveniences. Brick-built ,
Brookmill Park, formerly called Ravensbourne Park. Opened 1953 by the Met. Borough of Deptford. Part of the former grounds of Deptford Pumping Station. With a lake which formed part of a large reservoir, once twice the size of them. Originally there was a fish pond at the south pond, and another pond with an island. Following work for the DLR only one pond remains. A new garden has been laid out with a pond in the old water works gardens. The river was in a concrete channel but this has now been widened.
Garden Well. Within a stone enclosure in the southern part of the park is the capped top of the well of 1863. It is connected by an adit to the main well in the Pumping Station.
A pedestrian bridge over the river leads to the Coldbath Estate
Was called originally Wellington Grove and called in honour of the Duke who had been President of the Royal Kent Dispensary. Name changed in 1896 to that of the Duke’s only defeat.
Tollgate here in 18th
2 18th, with a flat detailed doorway with pilasters and pediment. Called Wellington House, 1700, was originally called Lawn House and buildings round about are built on what was its grounds. In the garden is an artesian well, a tunnel and a lot of bricks.
4 – 24 1840 built on what was Lawn House garden.
On the site of the grounds of Catherine House – could have been named for Catherine of Braganza who owned the manor at one time. Searles leased the area from Morden College 1777 when it was called Gravel Pit Close. Built by coal merchant called Pritchard.
10-14, 1850, designed by George Smith for Morden College
23 pottery in the late 19th.
44 J. Russell Deptford Ltd. Engineers supplies and tools.
Greenwich Central School 1904 later Greenwich Park Secondary. For boys with a manual training centre. Has become Charter Building – housing
15 Dartmouth House. 1930s Nurses’ Home for the Miller Hospital, now flats.
Maurice Drummond House, this was a section house for the police.
Pocket Park – bomb site cleared in 2006 as a small park.
Built Early 1870s
Was Swinbourne Road, in the 1840s.
Servite House. - Top of deep Coldbath well in the garden
57 Ravensbourne Arms closed.
Previously Victory Street.
65 Cranbrook early 1870s. Function room upstairs to cater for small weddings, 21st parties, clubs + darts matches. Very handy for St Johns Station. Large but catering mainly for the locality. Closed.
Previously Brunswick Street.
Was called Meretun but changed to Deptford because of the river crossing, Deptford was called West Greenwich
The Medieval Bridge was of wood and renewed often. From 1628 it was stone built and administered by the Kent Justices
Stream from Malpas Road area joined the Ravensbourne in this area.Battle of Deptford Bridge. 1497, where Lord Audley & the Cornish rebels were defeated
Tide mill, 1680,
John Hall Market gardens on either side Deptford Bridge
Pottery owned by Mr. Lacy who made 'Deptford ware' which became the Tyne Foundry
Abraham Dalton, potter 1795
Express patent shutter works made a revolving iron shutter.
Norfolk Brewery was on the corner of Mill Lane. Owned by Charles Norfolk, in 1907, buried at Nunhead. Deptford Bridge Brewery was taken over by the Dartford Brewery in 1904 along with its 55 public houses. The Dartford Brewery eventually became part of Courage via Style & Winch and Barclay Perkins. The Norfolk brewery buildings were demolished to make way for shops and flats known as Norfolk House
Holland’s Distillery, 1799, owned by Mr. Kirby of Fairlawn, New Cross, was Vine and Still Distillery before
14/16 Seager's, Deptford Brewery, Seagar Evans, Designed by Dinwiddy – when the distillery was rebuilt between 1868 and 1894. Seagers took over Holland & Co and moved Millbank. Site now redeveloped.
38-42 Alfred Furlong musical instrument maker, buried at Nunhead
87/88, Deptford Municipal Playing Fields and the Deptford Pink
Deptford Bridge Station. Between Greenwich and Elverson Road on the Docklands Light Railway
This triangular space at the western end of Deptford Bridge has a mixture of older and modern buildings...
Roman remains and Iron Age quern found 1993
1 Bar Sonic, was the Centurion Pub. Ceramic mural. This pub dates back at least to the mid 18th. The present building is probably of 1889, and retains etched glass and some old fittings. One-bar with emphasis on pool and darts.
2-6 were developed by City Challenge c 1993 in a sympathetic style.
4 ex-Douroff Discount Carpets once the premises of J. D. Smith, printer and stationer, where both Dews and Dunkin had their histories of Deptford printed
7 Shops on the site of Dover Castle Pub. In 1675 was called the The Castle. In the 18th ‘Dover’ was added. A pub of 1880 destroyed by an explosion in 1990 by a tenant with a grudge. Much restored in 1880, with the oval cast iron Bridge House Estates mark fixed to the wall. Gay pub with live acts or disco each night. 8 developed by City Challenge c 1993.
9-14 Antique Warehouse. Preserves the 1930s facade of a Burtons shop.
14 is late 19th, with decorative features, and once formed part of Peppercorns Stores, which dominated the northern side of the Broadway.
15-16 frontage dates from between the wars.
20 Listed Grade II, 17th terraced house.
17-21 are a group of probably late 17th; the present frontages are being mid 19th.
22 Broadway Picture Palace. Opened 1911. Closed 1930s. Replaced by Deptford Odeon.
22-25 together with 1/11 Deptford Church Street, developed by City Challenge c1995.
Deptford Odeon cinema, designed by George Coles in 1938, fine example of early 20th architecture. Embodied all the features of cinema architecture of the period. It closed its doors in 1970, demolished early 1980s.
Deptford Potteries, 1988 excavated, on the site of Odeon,
21 Lady Florence Hall. Part of the Lady Florence Institute set up in 19th for working girls in Deptford. Used as a night club, etc.
36 The Fountain. A pub dating back at least to 1700; the present building is 19th, and is now the Noodle King.
41-42 Bar in the National Westminster Bank, probably c 1880.
47 basically late 17th, altered in the 18th, restored
48 Semi Conductor Archives55-57 a pair, probably c 1840, restored
Royal George mural,
Cast iron Bridge House estates property mark. Stop for the Dover Mail
Deptford Campus of Lewisham College, formerly Deptford Skill centre. This architectural disaster was built c1980 in vivid red brick, with a jagged centre and a peculiar overhanging upper floor on stone columns. The site behind, to the north, is where Deptford Creek begins. Site of tide mill going back to 12th century, owned by Christ's Hospital, made biscuits. Became Robinson’s with ‘Blue Cross balanced rations’
The Lewisham College buildings replaced Gardiner's Store, known as the Scotch House, 1882-1950s and Noble's toy shop
Deptford New Town,
Built in the 1840s, long leases to John Ashford 1990,
Seventh Day Adventist in Holy Trinity and St.Paul built 1866 by Milford Teulon in Kentish rag. Lower part of tower with bellcote, the rest incomplete. Much rebuilt after bomb damage, although the original survives. Building never completed.
55 Guildford Arms, 1850s pub. Now a restaurant. Regency style with a curved facade and has been licensed since 1822. Named for Sir Henry Guildford a Tudor courtier who lived locally.
Roan Girls School 1878 and 1937 in Gothic style by Dinwiddy, red brick, bell cote, bardic frieze. Ran on the Prussian system, with separate classrooms, and a hall connecting them, closed 1984. Roan schools date from a legacy of 1644 and the girls’ school dates from 1814. Closed 1980 and turned into housing in the 1990s.
Baptist Church. A small, chapel, rebuilt in 1955 on old foundations in yellow stock brick, with simple windows and doorway. Wrought-iron railings to main front. Incorporates foundation stone dated 1862 but there was a Baptist church here in 1842.
2-8 housing built on part of the original Baptist Church site.
41 Peabody Buildings. On the site of nursery gardens some of which remained
Bisected the Penn works
Wall of Penn works
A good run of early c19 villas with large Ionic porches.
28 plaque to Edith Nesbit. Lewisham Council plaque: 'Edith Nesbit, 1858-1924, children's writer and poet, lived here 1882-85'. The house is probably of 1879.
Site of old Brick Field. Owner was Mr. Lee who built Ellerslie House, still there in 1910.
Old railway embankment.
Elverson Road Station. Between Deptford Bridge and Lewisham on the Docklands Light Railway Opened ahead of schedule in November 1999.
Elverson Mews. Terraced houses built since the railway came through
Was Dog Kennel Row – relating to the, Royal buck hounds. Was also called George Street, 1806. Terraces survive only on the east side and there are two terraces to the south. The terraces north of Albyn Road have smaller houses of 1844.
12/16 and 18/26 1806, and restored; the houses are double-fronted.
92 Friendly Street Gallery in premises of the Crown and Sceptre. 1847. Ornate two-bar locals' pub close to St Johns Station. Unpretentious - an ideal community pub. Garden. Features in films 'Spider’.
Vanguard Estate. A Peabody estate of the 1970s, with most of the upper floors weather boarded.
Gilbey's printing ink factory, burnt down in the war
Greenwich High Road
Royal Kent Dispensary 1855 'instituted in 1783' as is proclaimed in bold lettering on the stucco-trimmed building by Brandon & Ritchie erected in 1855 after the dispensary moved here from Deptford. The building later became part of the Miller General Hospital; after the hospital closed, it was converted in 1980-1 for a Girls Regional Assessment Centre by the Borough Architect's Department. First-floor windows in arches; Doric porch
Miller house. This was originally Greenwich Tabernacle built 1799. It was sold by the congregation in the early 20th and it became part of the Miller Hospital. In 1974 it became the Boroughs mortuary and coroner’s office and the chapel was rededicated. Part is used by the police.
Miller Hospital. The dispensary expanded and in 1884 the first circular ward was built here and it developed into a large hospital. Rev Miller was one of the promoters of this and other similar ventures elsewhere. There was alsoa brick building in quite a progressive style, by Pile & Fairweather, 1927.Out patients wing 1939. Closed and demolished in 1974 and replaced in 1980-1 by borough housing, low, of yellow brick, with some Georgian allusions.
8 Kent House used by the Sherriff of Kent but now demolished and under the car park.
40 Binnie Court was Melanie Klein house 1884 developed as a council children's home. Since turned into student housing by Beaver Housing Trust. 1994.
85 Millers Pub. Sign of a miller and his wife. Probably a boxing connection. Nothing to do with the hospital. It was previously called the White Swan and there is a swan on the front of the building. Name changed in the 1970s.
Admirals Gate housing on the Texel site.
62 The Forge. Wrought iron family business.
West Yard gated development on the site of a council depot.
Was King Street, Deptford New Town 1840s
Deptford Telephone Exchange. 1934-5 by Christopher Bristow of the Office of Works. Metal windows between plain brick bands. An early example of a modern design from the Office of Works. The effect now diluted by a later mansard roof and further large additions. Early example of modern design by Shearings.
John Penn Street.
Name changed, it was part of Coldbath Street.
Entrance to Penn Works. The firm was started in 1799 by John Penn Snr a Bristol millwright, originally to produce agricultural machinery. The first marine engines were produced in 1825 and under John Penn Jnr. In 1861 the Holwell Charity sold its Greenwich estate to Penn for £21,500 in the expansion of the works. Major expansion began only in the 1860s. John Penn retired in 1875 and died three years later. The Business was continued by his four sons Already a decline was beginning and they merged with Thames Ironworks & Shipbuilding Co, Receivers were called in December 1911 and the firm was finally wound up in 1914.
This road leads from New Cross, and after crossing the Nunhead Loop railway joins Loampit Hill on its way to the Lewisham town centre. The road has numerous groups of fine 19th century houses, as well as several individual buildings
Memorial Gardens stretch from Upper Brockley Road to Breakspears Road with Wickham Road breaking through. They were originally private enclosed gardens for the residents of Wickham Terrace. The gardens were bought by Deptford council 1924.
Wickham Terrace, a group of 25 houses built behind the gardens 1849-55. In the central part 14 houses have survived, and are flanked by pastiche postwar houses.
158, c 1968, on the site of the demolished Congregational Church.
160/6 surviving houses linked pairs of 1852;
168, detached and attractive
170/184, linked pairs of the early 1850s;
186 York House. 1849.
210/212 stucco Italianate pair, of 1853.
225/235 Victoria Cottages. A terrace of cottages of 1838
228/230 & 232/4 are pairs c1871, with Gothic influence.
236 Italianate 1858.
237 Albertine’s - was called Malt and Hops, was ‘Clarendon’. A revamp to a Whitbread Ale House with a plain boarded interior. The exterior has a lighting scheme and decorative plants.
239a/241,243a/245 and 247a/249 Brunswick Place stuccoed pairs of 1806 with shared pedimented gables covering the entire width of the building. In 1885 shops were built in the front, and the coach-houses were replaced with brick buildings.
249, altered and enlarged
249a a surviving coach-house
251/3, 1866 with ornamentation.
255/265, a terrace of tall houses 1867 decorated with wreaths,
267/279 long modern brick wall inset with blind stone doorways from demolished houses, of 1867 on the garden of Stone House. It is now the rear garden wall of postwar Ashmead School.
281 Stone house. Built for himself 1771-7 by George Gibson. In the centre of each side is a full bow, except to the west where a grand staircase leads directly up to a grand portico. The house is ragstone with stone bands. Inside is a sequence of circular rooms, some with curved doors, around the central stairwell. The entrance leads to a circular vestibule, which leads to an octagonal stairwell with busts in bas-relief of Hanoverian kings; top-lit by the cupola. In the cupola is a bell dated 1766. Ambitious and very unconventional. Typical of houses built by architects for themselves
289 Presbyterian Church of Wales. Church of 1924, dark brick.
291 probably c1887.
309, brick and terracotta with ornamented gables designed 1886 by James Edmeston for London & South Western Bank.
Tressellian building. Lewisham College of Further Education, before 1990 known as SELTEC (South East London Technical College). The main building is a long rectangular brick block with rows tall windows, built 1931. There are two coats of arms, London County Council and Metropolitan Borough of Deptford, and arts and crafts lampposts and rainwater heads. Designed by F. R. Homes for the L.C.C., 1927.
St John’s Church, a ragstone church of 1854 by Philip Charles Hardwick. Its’ tall spire is a landmark for a long way around. Entrance arch with capitals and dogtooth ornamentation, and a large west door. Inside stained glass by Ward & Hughes. A postwar hall has been erected across the upper part of the church. Allan Monument of 1868 by M. Noble.
Toilets on the corner of Breakspears Road. Lost in the shrubbery and closed
Vicarage. This was Lucas Villa built for Jonathan Lucas, the major shareholder of Deptford New Town. It was the Vicarage of St John’s from 1854 to 1924, and is now the vicarage of the Welsh Presbyterian Church.
Deptford New Town, 1840s
Lewisham Road station Opened 18th September 1871 by the London Chatham and Dover Railway. Powers to build the line from Nunhead to Greenwich had been obtained in 1863 and the line was opened to here in 1871. The street building on the north side of Loampit Hill was built of wood and reached via a small-gated courtyard. There was a canopy on the up side, nothing on the down platform and an iron footbridge. Across the line was a stationmaster's house. In 1917 it closed. The Lewisham Road platforms were demolished in 1929, when part of the line was re-opened as the Nunhead Loop Line for freight. The buildings remained in use as a scout hut and later by various commercial outlets and retains its original layout.
John Edmund Lee, brick maker and lime burner
British Telecom service tunnel under the road
11 Angel Pub.
60-68, mid Victorian villas with ornamentation, swags, masks, etc.
64/70 A group of the late 1850s, by the local architect Alfred Cross.
66/68, classical pair
62, formerly called Beaufort Lodge, built by Alfred Cross for himself in the late 1850s. Red brick with darker brick patterns; porch, and a tower with a pagoda-like roof. There are all sorts of eccentricities and extraordinary decorative patterns.
38/42 Sunninghill Terrace
44/52 terrace of the early 1880s. Doorcase capitals and much ornamentation.
Was Evelyn Street, Deptford New Town, retains two rows of cottages from the 1840s
Lucas Vale School 1885, with a two storey oriel.
Commemorates Helen Porter Armstrong (nee Mitchell), whose professional name was an adaptation of that of her native Melbourne, and as Nellie Melba was highly regarded throughout a long singing career.
New Cross Road
473 next to an entrance to stable yard with wrought iron gates,
480 Crown Cinema opened 1910. Closed 1914. Became a post office.
482-3898a Pope & Co. Ironmongers and Gas Fitters
487 Newell and Hamlyn. Estate agents
490 Star and Garter
495 Little Crown pub, 1897 has a stable entrance in a row of buildings with mansard roofs and unusual ornamentation. It 'Crown' has a new lower frontage, above it the date 1897.
496 site of Broadway Theatre. Opened 1898 with films and concerts. In 1916 became the Broadway Cinema. Demolished 1963.
Addey & Stanhope School. A red brick building 1899 by Sir Alfred Brumwell Thomas. It is L-shaped, with plane trees in the front courtyard. The school was the outcome of the amalgamation in 1899 of two older Deptford charity schools. Addey School, 1821 in Church Street, resulted from a bequest of land by John Addey, master shipwright at the Naval Dockyard, who died 1606 and Dean Stanhope’s School, built 1723 in High Street, resulted from a charity set up by George Stanhope, who died 1727. He had been vicar of St Nicholas Deptford and St Mary’s Lewisham, as well as Dean of Canterbury. A statue of a charity girl from a pair on the front of the Stanhope school of 1723 is now in the entrance hall. Tablet to commemorate the tercentenary of the death of John Addey.
Orchard estate large 1963-6. The standard L.C.C. mixture of the time. A group of point blocks, and low stepped terraces around grassy squares.
Bridge. North of Lewisham Station - connection between the old Greenwich Park line and the North Kent line crosses the main line on a 240ft double span lattice girder bridge. This was the bridge which collapsed in the train crash of December 1957. This bridge was re-erected quickly out of bits and pieces and is still there.
The line to Lewisham Road from Nunhead was abandoned by an Act in 1929 and the line taken up.
Sandstone cliff at the end. Bombed. Site of a brickfield
Was Victory Street, Deptford New Town, 1840s
Land from here to Stanstead Road to Ravensbourne was the Manor of Bankhurst 1261
An oval green with old trees and surrounded by houses, 1860 by Alfred Cross.
Terrace of seven houses with a gabled bays and recessed sections.
Six detached classical villas, each with five round-headed windows
17 a plaque to 'Cecil Hepworth, British film pioneer, born here 1874'.
The area to the east of Friendly Street is known as St. Johns and named after its church. Some of it is the remains of Deptford New Town.
St John's Road
Deptford New Town, 1840s
St John's school, 1855, church school, Seymour Street corner, LSB money, Closed because of competition and reopened as LSB Ravensbourne School and now St Stephen
Brunswick chapel, 1841
St. John's station. 1873. Between Lewisham and New Cross on South East Trains. On the North Kent line, which keeps straight on while the other line curves from it -showing, which is really the main line? It is 5 1/2 miles from London on the SER New Main Line. The extra face on the side of the up face has been blanked off. The new station provided the district with a much more direct route to central London than could be offered from Lewisham Road. For some years it has been reduced to a single island platform, although its surviving wooden buildings appear to be in good condition, and is nicely painted but it has no proper station building. In the Cutting for the station the outcrop of chalk was seen at the surface, and on the west side of the cutting there was a 4' gap in the chalk, - continuous fault filled with Thanet sand. The Bridge in St Johns Vale gives fine views on both sides of the large number of tracks - the higher level track skirting the station to the south, opened 1976. Pedestrian bridge leads down to the platforms, on which the present structures are sited.
Victorian wall letter-box set into the wall on the southern side of the bridge
Church land given by John Seymour who gave Lucas villa to the parish and paid for St John's schools
St Nicholas Street
Deptford New Town, 1840s Windmill belonging to St Nicholas
Deptford New Town, 1840s
Corrupted to ‘Thundery Mead’ was ‘Sunday’. Elliott built on Lock Mead.
Long terraces of smaller houses with similar decoration to those in Loampit Vale.
Was Butt Lane 1990. West of it in a valley a stream went through to the Creek
Tanners Hill School in 1880s by LSB on site of chapel.
Pottery accident in 1830s
13-17 fit in with the group, but were built later.
19-31 c1690. Rebuilt and most roofs have been restored, but the original appearance is largely preserved.
Cycle workshops, Witcombe Cycles, 18th gate, store room, and workshop
20 People's Hall was the Deptford Municipal Offices until 1905. It was Deptford Vestry Offices for St. Paul’s Vestry. Two storey building with offices and council chamber above a ground floor reading-room named the Peoples Hall
20a Palace Cinema. Opened 1909. Closed early 1920s
83 Royal George pub with screens to create three separate bar areas. An upstairs pool room, darts and a small patio area outside
86 Royal Standard. Victorian style back street pub
105 Crystal Palace Tavern Popular pub, particularly inthe summer with barbecues in the garden. Live music several nights of the week.
124 Kyle Held House – was Brunswick House. , 1850s. A mansion of 1789. The end bay has a Coade stone medallion of a woman and child, the building was obscured from 1850 by 126 Tanners Hill. Originally the grounds went up to Lewisham Way. Big garden In the 1870s it was an RC industrial school.
135 is the entrance to old stables
140 a small name stone 'Anchor Cottage'.
Stocker & Roberts' features like stable buildings - loft door and external gas bracket
Railway bridge. painted on the west wall of the bridge can be seen a reminder of the last war: c IRK A indicating the whereabouts of the nearest Air Raid Shelter.
Was Windmill or Hill Street
2 Talbot. Split-level saloon bar. Art deco design, sofas and stylish prints. Basic public bar with local historic prints on walls
Stone sarcophagus found in 1868, this is an inference of a Roman settlement Gill, Was Nile Street, Deptford New Town, 1840s