TQ 389 759
Thames Tributary Ravensbourne
The Ravensbourne continues northwards to the Thames. It is joined by the Quaggy which itself has been joined by the Upper Kidbrooke and a stream from the High Street
Post to the west Lewisham
Post to the north Blackheath
Post to the east Lee
Post to the south Hither Green
Part of College Park Estate developed from 1868
The old name was Lewisham Lane or Lee Lane or Butt Lane. Part of St.German's Estate and after that Morden College. The road was repositioned several times, and part of an earlier road can be seen inside the convent grounds, as part of the drive to the house.
22 home of architect Arthur Newman
House on the corner of Belmont Grove built by the Surveyor of Dockyard in 1830,
Belle Mount demolished in 1907.
Dowson Court. Plaque to novelist Dowson
Sacred Heart Convent. The Cedars. There was a house on the site before 1640 which was once known as Lee Lodge and later as The Cedars. There are cedar trees from which the house took its name. In 1733 it was the home of Will Pate, friend of Oliver Goldsmith. It was later the home of the Brandram family, whose tombs can be seen in the churchyard. Miss Brandram planted the Cedars and In 1790 Brandram built the lakes. Later it was the home of the Penn family whose engineering works was in Blackheath Hill. They remained there until 1910. It has a belvedere tower, and is possibly an old house much disguised. Remains of a stable block, now a garage.
24, The Priory, Gothic.Rectory
Part of College Park Estate developed from 1868
Part of College Park Estate, developed from 1868
College Park Baptist Church. A small building. 1874. With Gothic doors and windows.
St Marks Church. Built 1870. Demolished 1969
36 Vicarage designed by Greenaway & Newberry in 1914. Arts & crafts style,
Church Hall, now used by a printing firm, a Gothic building with a large east window. Designed by Greenaway & Newberry in 1914
Gilmore Estate, housing from 1979, with plum-brick houses and a lot of open space.
Branch bridge over the Quaggy made of cast iron.
Horse trough which was outside the Mid-Kent Tavern. Notice to say that water must only be used for drinking.
Story that it is called after the watercress beds
Disused railway bridge over the garages. This was part of scheme to divert traffic from Central Lewisham and give access to Belmont Hill. Never finished
St.Stephen's Vicarage, 1874.
Eastdown Parade corner.
Lee Baptist Church 1854 Ince Place built in 1872 by Lee of Loampit Hill with the College farmhouse behind them.
Developed in the 1860s, when there were still fields all around; many attractive houses survive.
15/17, opposite the old telephone exchange, c1860,
45, an detached stuccoed house, c1865
57/59, a stuccoed pair, c1860.
Was John Street
Quaggy at the back
Part of Mercer’s Company College Park Estate, developed from 1868
Telephone Exchange At the junction of Gilmore Road with Eastdown Park. A building of the 1900s by Leonard Stokes, plain early c 20 Georgian. Later top storey.
K6 red cast-iron telephone kiosk, designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott in 1935. It is distinguishable from the K2 type in that it incorporates some narrow rectangular panes of glass. This is the only K6 kiosk remaining in the Deptford/ Lewisham area.
9 plaque to James Elroy Flecker. House 1871. GLC blue plaque. 1884-1915, poet, and dramatist were born here. Plaque erected 1986.
Colfe School was on the corner of Walerond Road. Founded in 1598 by Vicar of Lewisham then re-founded by Colfe in 1613. He got the Leathersellers Company to be trustees. New building built in 1890. But in 1944 destroyed by flying bomb.
Upper Kidbrook joining Ravensbourne
River Ravensbourne flows underneath before being joined by the River Quaggy on the north side of the site. The Quaggy joins the Ravensbourne under the station. The Railway from Blackheath to Lewisham is on line of the Upper Kid Brook which joined the Quaggy just south of St Stephen's Church only a few yards before that river runs into the Ravensbourne.
Upper Kidbrook is on the Line of Parish boundary. It crosses the Railway on first bridge east of Lewisham Station
Stream from the High Street joined the Ravensbourne in this area.Toddeslesmill or silk mill
Site of Sundermead common field. 17 acres was still gardens in 1910.
Bridge over the Ravensbourne; it was last rebuilt in 1993, and it is at least the fourth bridge on site. There was and is a ford on the north side. The first stone bridge here was medieval. Shield shaped plaque no 12. In the nineteenth century it was red brick with arches high enough to allow boats under it. Iron Bridge built in 1872/3. Sketched by Henry Wood. Modern Lewisham Bridge, which could scarcely be less like the old one
High Pavement east of the Quaggy. Built in 1840 as shops. Parish boundary round the back.
Lewisham Station. Originally opened 30th July 1849. Terminus of Docklands Light Railway from Elverson Road. Between St.John’s and also Nunhead and Blackheath and also Hither Green and also Ladywell on South Eastern Railway. The first Lewisham Station was opened on the North Kent Line, to Strood via Blackheath. It was located over the tracks just east of the High Street. In 1857 the Line was built to Beckenham by the Mid Kent Railway who rebuilt and reordered the station. Providing a new junction and new platforms at the country end for the North and Mid Kent Lines. The station was thus moved to its present site as the junction station for the North Kent Line and the Mid Kent Line, to Beckenham via Ladywell, and was called ‘Lewisham Junction’ Nice offices at angles, canopy and columns. Note the finely carved iron columns under the front canopy and on the up platform of the line from Blackheath. Single-storey round-arched booking office, neatly in the angle of two lines. In 1929 the name was changed to ‘Lewisham’. In 1983 it was restored. In 1999 the Docklands Light Railway was added. .
Lewisham Bus Station, opened 1994,
4 Mid Kent Tavern. DLR and bus station on the site. Pub of c1862 with ornamental features. Name of one of the lines going through the station. Demolished for the DLR.
Metropolitan Cattle Trough
Built 1792 and rebuilt.
55 bombed January 1944
102-146 89-93 bombed, 8 died, 25 shops destroyed.
Lee High Road
Nearly two kilometers long, the road runs from the Lewisham Town Centre to Lee Green.
Quaggy Bridge, footbridge, boundary between Lewisham and Lee
1 One was the White Horse an early 19th pub, rebuilt, probably in the 1860s. Old coaching inn.
14 The Sultan, an early 19th pub, rebuilt probably in 1885. Demolished
18/54, a long one-storey balustraded parade of shops, built c 1914. Demolished
54 Lee Chapel demolished
66/78, part of an early 19th terrace, there before 1814. Demolished
82-90 The Sycamores with design of trees over the doorcase
102, 1813, a surviving part of a terrace.
121-137 previous buildings on site designed by Dinwiddy
138 Grove Cottage, a small building of 1835 with doorcase, a strange survival in a stretch of the road largely devoted to car showrooms and workshops.
162 Rose of Lee. Now called Dirty South, previously Hobgoblin, pub rebuilt c1897 with a clock in the central gable. On the site of a house called 'Rose Cottage' – which was pictured on the inn sign. The field opposite on the High Road had been called Rose Field from at least 1493. Perhaps there was a mediaeval shrine her dedicated to the Virgin Mary - the 'Rose without a Thorn’.
Cobbled path at the end of the row of shops, which used to lead to a smithy at the rear.
Car repair garage on the corner of Eastdown Park, occupies the old Baptist Chapel site.
House with two dated ownership stones marked WS — for William Sidery, father and son, known local builders, who lived in the end house with cast iron railings.
‘Levesham‘1086 in the Domesday Book, ‘that is "homestead or village of a man called 'Leofsa', from an Old English personal name. An earlier reference in an Anglo-Saxon charter of 862 describes the boundary with Bromley as ‘Liofshemo mearc’, - 'boundary of the people of Lewisham'. It is an Ancient manor granted to Alfred’s niece, Elfrida, and passed to the Abbey of Ghent. Lying in the Ravensbourne Valley, Lewisham dominated by this river and its tributaries, the Quaggy and Pool. The largely rural atmosphere was only lost in the 20th.
Lewisham High Street
The old village was a long ribbon of buildings along the High Street, running, parallel to the Ravensbourne. The largest shops were drapers. Features in films ‘Nil by Mouth’.
2 Plough rebuilt 1850. Since called Pitchers, an impressive pub. Ten pin bowling alley at the back.
15 King's Hall Cinema, opened 1912 became the Rex Cinema and later Studio I and II. Closed 1986. .
15 Kings Hall Mews leads to the head office of Beaver Housing Association built. Built 1994, it has a post-modernist circular glazed entrance hall.
17/31 a terrace c1864, with stuccoed ground floors.
32 Duke of Cambridge. Demolished for road widening.
34-38 once stood on a bowling green, used to be a big chestnut tree in the garden which was burnt, 1683
45 Police Station on the site of the Army and Navy which was Chiesmans and before that Bon Marche. Police stable there.
62 Horse trough outside site of Lion and Lamb late 19th. The pub dated from 1700, demolished 1895
66 Dylans was the Joiners Arms, 1910 listed
67-71 Yates Wine Lodge in the Co-op - RACS building. 'Best commercial building', 1933. Yates's vast and jolly bar lounge opened 1995 on the ground floor of the Co-op store, which was known as Tower House. It had been opened by Royal Arsenal Co-operative Society in 1933; the other date on the front, 1868, was when the RACS was founded. The store closed c1983. The curved facade has a central tower, art deco detail, and stone reliefs of trains, ships, and a lorry marked RACS. The shop was originally the site of Stroud’s drapers/
85/93 Barclays Bank and shops between the High Street and Lewis Grove are, on what was Watch House Green. Bank buildings c1880, plus an extension from the 1930s with columns
Watch House Green. The village green of Lewisham.Enclosed in 1890. Previously used for a Yeomanry camp. Site of the Cage – the last occupant was burnt alive.
112-114 Brooke House 1620 demolished.
116 Horse trough outside site of White Hart late 19th
139-141 Marlowe’s Bar was the Market Tavern
161-167, 1894, old houses went.
162 White Hart now a food store
168-170 rebuilt cottages
169 built on the site of The Limes, an early 18th house in large grounds, which was demolished 1894. John Wesley, stayed there for long periods in the mid 18th as did George Whitefield. It had had a Summerhouse in Limes Grove and a, small green in front.
St Saviour and St John the Baptist and Evangelist. Founded from Blackheath 1894 with Mass held School chapel opened 1898. Present church opened 1909. A red brick Roman Catholic Church. Doorcase with a mosaic fanlight. A tall campanile topped by a figure of Christ the King was added in 1929. Stands ecumenically on the site of John Wesley's favourite haunt, the Limes. By Kelly & Dickie, red brick, Italianate, with presbytery. Quite a landmark. Italian interior
171 a house of 1900, to commemorate The Limes.
174-6 Victorian cottages
187-197 Prudential Buildings. A red brick block c1905, with classical motifs in terracotta. Opened up Limes Grove for building.
192-204 The Watch House, Wetherspoons Pub
194 a surviving 18th cottage.
199-201 Lewisham Library. Modern building opened in 1994 converted from a telephone exchange of c 1968. On the ground floor wall is a plaque of 1901 to Alfred the Great, 'Lord of the Manor of Lewisham' , The building has an external lighting system was designed by Ron Haselden to create an ever-changing sculptural effect.
203, 207 upper floors of c 1850, much altered
208 Bath House villa
209/211 c, 1850
210 Lewisham Electric Palace. Opened 1909 very grand but prone to flooding. Demolished 1922;
210 Car park on the site of the Prince of Wales Cinema. Built on the site of the Electric Palace, opened in October 1922 and designed by John Stanley Beard. Some walls of the old Electric Palace cinema were kept. The facade was in white glazed tiles, manufactured by the Hathern Station Brick and Terra Cotta Company. There was a tea lounge in the balcony foyer. It was featured in live broadcasts by the BBC with community sing-a-longs which were also recorded by a gramophone company. It was the first cinema in Lewisham to install talking pictures. Taken over by Associated British Cinemas July 1933. Closed on 13th June 1959. The building was demolished and shops were built
222 house, 1820
226/230 Camden Place. Three large villas of c 1821. Restored for mainly residential use, with a restaurant at no 228. They remain from a group of four; the other was demolished c1993 for the traffic roundabout. Early 18th looked urban, top storey was newer.
228 Restaurant in restored villa
236 House, demolished 1878
237 Rileys built 1911 as a temperance billiard room and restaurant called Gild Hall. Faced in roughcast and painted blue, it displays a domed centre, bowed windows, festoons, corner turrets, and columns.
240-242 Maypole House, eighteenth century
246 Camden House. A victim of the roundabout. Demolished
262-266 Brookfields House stables. Demolished
270/272 was once Brooklands House, a mansion c1782; the ground floor is now a furniture shop, but the upper floors are relatively unaltered, though not in good condition. The rear has twin bow windows to the ground floor. Corner of Whitburn Road. Rare survival of a large house from the village's most prosperous period. On the site of an old tan yard, when Lewisham's industry was in decline. Land at the roads to the rear was formerly part of the Brooklands estate Demolished
286 The Castle. Pub rebuilt c 1890, with a castle in the gable. Renamed as ‘Kelly’s Bar’ in the 1990s.
297-301 old private house 19th cottages
Burton's - upper floors of the 1930s. .
Citibank Tower integrated with the Lewisham Centre. A tall slab block with a blue glass entrance. 1975.
Clock Tower. Built 1897. English renaissance. The carved panels, which were omitted through expense. Erected by public subscription for the diamond jubilee of Queen Victoria 1897. Square tower of Portland stone, topped by a short spire and gilt crown. It was moved here in 1995 from a traffic island slightly to the east. A Vl blew up in front of it heaps of rubble, market stalls blown away, Post Office and Albion destroyed, Marks and Spencer gone, Halfords, all destroyed, 40 other premises damaged, 5l killed and some never found.
Conservative Club clock house, 18th gone.
Drovers Court, more traditional, part of the same project as Kings Hall Mews.
Fire hydrant south east side of the station bridge
Horse trough outside St.Stephen’s 1878
Lewisham Market - a fruit and vegetable market, operates daily except Sundays. Lewisham Model Market. A narrow market of lock-up stalls, with the atmosphere and intimacy lacking in the main market.
Library, 1900. Symmetrical front with terracotta trim.
Midland Bank c1898. Also on Watch House Green site. Corner Caulfield Street
Odeon. Colossal brick former Gaumont, by W. C. Trent. Survived the extensive war damage 12 December 1932 Compton organ installed. Demolished.
Plough Green. The land between Plough Inn and Lewisham Bridge. A fair was held there every 21st September. It was enclosed in 1810 by the Duke of Cambridge, and a pub built
Presbytery, 1929, part of an impressive integrated group with the church. In arts & crafts style with intriguing brickwork
Quaggy runs in a channel designed in 1974/5. Outside the church it is met by a stream, which has come down alongside the railway line from Morden College. Outflow at start of High Pavement. Boundary stone marks the start of it.
Riverdale Centre/Lewisham Centre. Covered shopping centre on the site once occupied by Grove House. 1972-7 by B.E.P. Partnership for Grosvenor Estates. This has an internal mall with bright tiled walls. Red brick entrances, multi-storey car park. A smoked glass tube supported within a tubular girder box. The pedestrianised precinct parallels the central shopping area of the High Street, to which it is linked by two walkways by Lewisham Architect's Department, 1980-1, 7. M. Szarowcz. Refurbished 1991. The gaping maws of animals are used for refuse. The Centre takes its name from the early 19th Riverdale Mill, one of several mills once situated along the River Ravensbourne.
Bridge House Mill. Semmanesmill belonged to the Bridge House. It was also called Briggesmill. On Roque it is a leather mill. In 1908 Penn owned the house
St. Stephen's Church. Victorian Gothic ragstone church of 1865 by Sir George Gilbert Scott. The tower and spire intended over the north transept was not built, as the ground was found to be too marshy. Dominant features are the dramatic rood screen by Frank Harding 1916, and at the west end, the great organ gallery of 1941 by Sir Charles Nicholson. Bright stained glass windows in the chancel and the Lady Chapel are by J. E. Nuttgens 1954; a number of intriguing stained glass medallions by Clayton & Bell survived war damage.
Starting from the corner of High Road where a Clock Tower commemorating the Diamond Jubilee is just receiving its finishing touches. (Booth)
Times Furnishing Company.
Woolworth’s - the cream-coloured art deco on the upper floors
Yew tree House, was on the site of the railway
Laid out in 1849
32/38, a terrace, probably c1860.
Limes Hall, a building with interesting decorative features, probably c 1910. The original entrance was in the mews; the present entrance is from Limes Grove. In 1983 it became Lewisham Labour Club; during the interwar period it was Lewisham Spiritualist Church.
8 Lewisham Council Plaque to Leland Duncan local historian
Area known as the Obelisk. A drinking fountain and two cattle troughs was provided by Joseph Head of Wickham Road but only fountain was put here with a gas lamp. In 1900 a triangular island was built with underground toilets and a sewer vent with three gas lamps on top. Removed by the LCC for road improvements in 1964.
11 The Angel, an Italianate pub c1853.
12 Obelisk Cinema. Built as Ravensbourne Hall and licensed from 1912. In 1923 became a dance hall, was bombed and demoilished.
Horse trough outside the Angel 1860s with a pump
13/15, c 1853
Fire hydrant gone,
Gloucester Brewery 1823-1914 owned by the Lamberts;
Service tunnel built under the Vale in 1989/90 for British Telecom cables replacing an earlier tunnel running under the road. The shaft is 8.5m. Deep and beneath the carriageway at the junction Loampit Vale and Lewisham High Street.
Fire hydrant near Lee High Road junction. It has a short iron base with grooves and screw top. Made by Stones of Deptford. The base was removed for the car park entrance – a newer version was installed but marks of the old one remain.
4-14 destroyed 7-15 by bombs 23-6.44 10 died
A close with terraces of the early 1850s on both sides
Laid out in the late 1850s, but now a dual carriageway opened in 1994 as the town centre by-pass.
Central reservation. Consisting of wavy patterns of Portland stone, designed by John Maine. On the roundabout at the south end is Ridgeway, a sculpture by John Maine 1995, the abstract shape of which aligns with the angle of the sun as it varies between winter and summer
Riverdale Mill. The survivor of the thirteen mills on the Ravensbourne mentioned in Domesday Book. The building dates from about 1830. It has had many names and used, in the 17th it was a leather mill, later it became a corn mill and the Penn family owned it in 1908. It is a plain four-storey watermill with projecting weather boarded hoist and an undershot wooden water wheel, and a pond, liberally stocked with fish An office block with curved staircase towers was added in 1980-1 by F. Gibberd Partners. As part of the Citibank complex
Riverdale House, a long and tall brick office block, by Frederick Gibberd & Partners 1981. It has an irregular, jagged exterior with curved staircase towers.
Column In the grassed area to the south is a white geometrical sculpture by John Maine
Footbridge over the River Ravensbourne, which here is in a concrete channel
Toll Gate Corner
40-46, Start point for ceremonial walk of the Manor of Bankers
24 Roebuck, Modern pub which was once very picturesque
Horse trough outside the pub 19th
Courthill Loop. Leaves Mid Kent Line 450 yards from the country end of Lewisham station and joins the Tonbridge Line near Parks Bridge junction.
Now canalised and deepened, the Ravensbourne retains very little water edge habitat
16/22 a group of houses of c1900 with much decoration
22 with a corner tower.
2/14 large detached houses of c 1870.
St.Matthew Academy. Catholic School for 3-16. Innovative contemporary design.
8 on kerb is a Lee and Lewisham boundary mark.