Thames Tributary Ravensbourne
The Ravensbourne continues to flow north.
Post to the north St.John's
Post to the east Lewisham
Post to the south Ladywell
Sunflower motif on the front of houses
37-43 V 2 on 14th September 1945 eleven terraced houses were destroyed by the blast in gardens at the rear and 14 died. The site was the corner of Eastern Avenue
Road built 1882. There are long ranges of decorated houses from the 1880-90s.
Bibleway Tabernacle. Originally built in 1882 by James Brooks as the church of the Transfiguration it became St Barnabas Church for the Deaf and Dumb in 1940. It is a red brick church which had a new floor inserted in 1953 for the Institute for the Deaf. The Bibleway Tabernacle took it over in 1978. listed Grade C, this was the (Anglican) Church of the Transfiguration until about 1940, although it was always a daughter church to St Stephen's, without its own parish. Since 2003 it has been the Bibleway Tabernacle
66b Crown and Anchor
218 site of Vicar’s Hill Dairy
Long decorated terraces from the 1880s. Developed by a local builder, Samuel J. Jerrard
57 Home of Walter de la Mare after 1887
Fire hydrant, gone.
Italianate terraces facing each other, built 1857. Built by Harvey in 1857.
Original wooden street board
Watergate Special School. Closed
Darling was MP for Deptford
21 plaque to Henry Williamson
Prendergast Hilyfields School. The school was built in 1884-5 by Charles Evans as the West Kent Grammar School and became the Brockley County Secondary School 1914- 1921. The Assembly Hall has murals painted 1933 by Charles Mahoney, Evelyn Dunbar, Mildred Eldridge and Violet Martin.
Post box - a slim one with high aperture. Have the maker’s name: 'A Handyside and Co Ltd, Derby and London'.
brickfields late 19th
Lewisham Bridge Primary School
Terraces with decoration, 1880s, 1890s.
Terraces with fanciful decoration, 1890s.
Paired gabled houses built 1890s, decorative features
1 prominent corner house
Fire hydrant octagonal pillar
Hilly Fields Crescent
Named in 1894, large houses.
Francis Drake Bowling Club
Used to be called ‘Vicars Hill’. There was a monastery land there somewhere. North of Hilly Fields was the area of Deptford Common. The northern part of the site had been used by brick makers, the area later levelled as a cricket pitch. Bridge House estates nearly built on the site - contract had been signed. It was eventually bought in 1896 for £44,877 by Greenwich, Lewisham and Lewisham Parish and London County Councils after a campaign, which included Octavia Hill. It then had to be levelled, and a bandstand installed. Opened on 16.May 1896 by Arthur Arnold chairman of London County Council. The summit is 175 feet above sea level and there are views over Lewisham and the City. There is a children's playground, picnic area, three tennis courts and a converted basketball court. To mark the millennium, a stone circle of twelve large granite stones and two tall shadow-casting stones were erected in the park. There is also a small nature reserve
Jerrard's timber yard.
Was Ivy Lane, very old back lane.
Line of old lane from Lott Meadow to Loampit Vale. Entirely modern industrial units
120 Rising Sun
Post box with the maker’s name: 'A Handyside and Co Ltd, Derby and London'.
Built 1857. This area was the Ladywell Village, with a cluster of small cottages and the well.
Old stable block, now used as garages and stores. Note the hay lofts and roof vents.
Wavy Line Food Store which had a faded, advertisement for Eno's Fruit Salts, a New Cross company.
This road runs across the top of what would have been the sandstone quarry
Ladywell Loop opened about 1865.
At the south west end is the sheer wall of the sandstone quarry. Road name clearly refers to this.
Built on the site of chalk pits. The houses date from c 1900 and are decorative.
6 plaque to Edgar Wallace 1875-1932 says 'writer lived here' Plaque erected 1960.
Neatly arranged villas in leafy streets
Woodlands Charles Gandon, b. 1837, asst engineer to Great Northern Railway and then engineer to Ottoman Gas Co., Smyrna, then Brazil and Crystal Palace Gas Co.
Named after Tyrwhitt-Drake family landowners
85 Alfred Furlong, musical instrument maker, buried at Nunhead
The road runs down through the area of the quarry
2 Loampit Gospel Hall. Gothic arches on the ground floor and a battlemented roof. It was built 1901 for the Welsh Presbyterian Church; but they moved in 1924
Lewisham Christian Centre
Bombing - 9.December 1940 a mine hit Whitbread stables and killed three horses.
The name refers to the vicars' glebe. The south end has long terraces with decoration from the 1880s and 1890s. The most decorative highest up the hill. The northern end has houses from the turn of the 20th in contrast to the late 19th houses in the quarry site to the north.
Wearside Service Centre. Council depot
Corner, shops built in 1901 on the site of villas. Built On the site of Brookfields House gardens.