Thames Tributaries Earl Sluice and Effra
Earl Sluice is said to rise in this area and to have flowed down Denmark Hill.
Springs that feed the Effra, rise in this area.
TQ 32941 75510
Interesting area south of Brixton. Area where important industrialists lived and influential housing was built.
Post to the west Brixton
Post to the north Camberwell
Post to the south Herne Hill
Named after Sir Hanley Acland, friend of John Ruskin
Kings College residences
Boundary wall of Ruskin Park House
Redholm. Designed for John Belcher designed a house for himself called Redholm which was built in 1885. This is next to The Fox on the Hill. John Belcher was an Angel, the name given to a priest of the Catholic Apostolic Church. He died at Redholm on 8 November 1913.
Built as part of the Sunray Estate, Homes for Heroes area. 1949 association with Ruskin.
Leading southwards from Camberwell Green to Herne Hill and Brockwell Park. It gets its name from Prince George of Denmark, the Consort of Queen Anne, who kept a shooting box here. Development at the southern end was dictated by Dulwich College.
106-108 an early c 19 pair of villas
Bessemer Estate. When he died in 1898, it covered forty acres and included two imposing houses, a model farm, underground caverns, and an observatory housing the second largest telescope in the world. His house was designed by Charles Barry, son of the architect of the Houses of Parliament. The farm terminated at the railway cutting. There was also a big conservatory, a model farm, shrubbery, trees, lawns, wildfowl sanctuary, and cascade. There was an observatory with the world's second largest telescope. Pulhamite caves.
Bessemer grange - Adjacent to Bessemer’s house built for his daughter. Turned into a hotel
George Livesey lived on Lambeth side of road east of The Cedars.
149 The Fox on the Hill. Built on the site of the Denmark Hill Tea Gardens opened in the 18th by Thomas Lightfoot who claimed to have been the first to use the name ‘Denmark’ here. The Public Bar is a listed building off Champion Hill, quite separate from the main establishment. The northernmost boundary of the Manor of Dulwich. Typical Wetherspoon's decor, but on a grand scale. The bar boasts a total of 18 hand pumps.
Plaque Pit - Bit of space in front of the pub with a covenant of 1794 not to dig. Old watchman's hut was there for years, Old Charley.
93-99 Camberwell Borough council flats.
163 Ruskin Manor. In 1823 Ruskin’s father leased a house at Herne Hill.
Ruskin Park. Opened in 1907. The park gets its name from John Ruskin, the writer who lived nearby from 1823 to 1871. At the start of the 20th local residents campaigned for a new park on 24 acres of land in Denmark Hill. It was purchased at a cost of £70,000. Portico and sundial porch to 18th house preserved as a shelter, the parks designer J.J. Sexby laid out the site for the LCC. It was opened to the public on 2 February 1907, and enlarged in 1910 by adding a further 12 acres of land to the south, now used for football. There is a memorial sundial to Mendelssohn - who visited the Beneke family home here. Ornamental lake, bowling greens, tennis courts, paddling pool, playground, one o'clock club, tennis courts and football pitch, the park contains a pond, wildlife habitats and formal bedding along with heritage features like the Portico and a splendid collection of ornamental and native trees. There is a wooden bandstand in the centre of the park, which was restored in 2006.
Named for a friend of Browning
Named for another friend of Browning
Bessemer Grange School standing on what was the lake within the grounds of Sir Henry Bessemer’s estate. The School aims to create a centre of excellence for the promotion of design and technology on the site of Sir Henry's Denmark Hill estate
River, named for the first Earl of Gloucester, and illegitimate son of King Henry I, who was Lord of the Manor of Camberwell and Peckham. The stream rises on Denmark Hill
Herne Hill Road
St Saviour's Parish Hall, 1915 by Beresford Pite for the demolished St Saviour's Church. An unusual design of red and yellow brick, triple-arched recessed entrance, slate-covered cupola
Carnegie Library, 1904 by Wakeford & Son. With plenty of terracotta and Georgian motifs.
31 Lord Stanley pub with motoring memorabilia
40 Cambria Pub. Comfortable old Wenlock house with singalong organist Large multi-roomed with classy wood-panelled lounge bar.
Housing built in late 19th century by the Suburban Village and General Dwellings Co. in terraces.
Ruskin Park House
The land on which Ruskin Park House now stands was once part of the Champion de Crespigny Estate, prior to the Second World War there was a large house and gardens on the site. The land was sold in 1939 to developers with plans to build large luxury flats. The foundations and steel girders were put up on what is now Block A but abandoned because of the war years. In the late 1940s the London County Council started building Block A, with tenants moving in in 1951. Block B was completed section by section and was finished in the early 50s and Block C in the late 50s. This estate was let by the Council on a non-subsidised higher rental basis. Only people with settled occupations and high salaries were eligible. In the late 60s/early 70s a group of tenants approached the Greater London Council with a view to buying the Head Lease and selling the flats to the resident occupiers. In 1972, Ruskin Park Housing Association was founded.
Clockwork Studios was site of Fred Karno’s Fun Factory before 1914.
Spring Hill Close
36- 86 an enclave of houses offset from the main network of streets. Carefully landscaped and protected by the use of posts and chains that separate them from the narrow one-way lane. Part of the basic design of the area
Springs from this area feed the Effra
Sunray Estate. Built and designed 1920s the result of a combination of direct labour and Building Guild principles, by the Office of Works under its director, Sir Frank Baines, who had trained with C.R.Ashbee. An example of a small garden suburb influenced by Ebenezer Howard as well as Barry Parker and Raymond Unwin.
Lambeth disinfecting station.
Barton. Lost Rivers of London
Bessemer Grange School. Web site
Britsh History on Line. Lambeth
Cambria. Web site
Field. London Place Names
Fox on the Hill. Web site
GLC. Home Sweet Home
Herne Hill Society. Bessemer
London Borough of Lambeth. Web site
Lord Stanley. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. South London
Pub History. Web site