Thames Tributary Ravensbourne
Kyd Brook/Quaggy flows north west towards the Ravensbourne,
Post to the south Petts Wood
41 de Gaulle lived here after he fled from France in 1940.. half timbered houses
Botany Bay Lane
Tong Farm. part of the Hawkwood Estate. A possible ancient site.
Tong Farm timber framed buildings, listed
Hawkwood Farm. part of the Hawkwood Estate. Red brick building
Hawkwood Estate. Owned by Col. Edlemann after his death it was bought by Mr. & Ms. Hall and given to the National Trust.
Edlemann Memorial Wood. Memorial stone unveiled 1957.
The Kydbrook flows north west from the southern edge of the Hawkwood Estate
Before development this was an area of watercress beds
The Kyd Brook runs parallel to the road to the east
Great Thrift Wood
The Kyd Brook crosses the road flowing north west
Petts Wood. Managed by the National Trust, it was purchased by public subscription and opened in memory of William Willett. It has been associated with the Pett Elizabethan shipbuilding family. The Master shipwright is said to have leased the wood in 1587. It is ancient woodland which becomes damper towards the boundary ditch near Petts Wood with sedges and buckthorn replacing the meadow grass. There is an area of alder wood which covers the banks of four feeder streams of the Kyd Brook which flows South of Petts Wood. There is lady and male fern as well as broad-buckler fern.
St.Mary Cray junction
A residents’ campaign was started to buy this land, to save it from being sold to developers, and in 1927 Willet Recreation Ground was opened. William Willet, is well known for introducing Daylight Saving in 1916.