Thames Tributary Ravensbourne- Quaggy - Hither Green
The Quaggy flows south and then loops back north towards the Ravensbourne. It is joined by a stream from the north.
Post to the west Hither Green
Burnt Ash Road
116 Northbrook. Pub at one time called ’JJs’. Converted into a modern cocktail bar type pub. Listed.
Lee Station. 1866 Between Mottingham and Hither Green on South Eastern Trains built on the Dartford Loop. Station Master's house.
Coal depot closed 1968
Goods yard closed 1968
Laundry south west of the station.
Lee Green Congregational Church. Built 1955 following destruction by bombing of the previous church,
New houses built near the station in the 1880s and down towards Grove Park.
Fire hydrant corner of Newstead Road. Gone.
169 Fire hydrant iron pavement cover. Made by James Simpson & Co.
Pond was on the east side
8 Edith Nesbit lived there for a while
St Winifred’s Roman Catholic School, Listed
2 Lee Health Centre
13 home Sir Stanley Unwin 1884-1968. Publisher who, in 1960, wrote his autobiography "The Truth about a Publisher. Plaque erected 1984.
Church of the Good Shepherd. The original church was consecrated in 1881 and destroyed by firebombs in 1941. It was completely rebuilt in 1957. The old foundations and some of the old walls remain. Listed
Vicarage 1897 Listed
The old centre of Lee and developed with suburban houses from 1809.
Windmill to the east.
Quaggy was seven foot deep in 1830.
Lee High Road
394 Duke of Edinburgh. Closed
351 Old Tiger’s Head. Built in 1766 and famous for a bowling green and said to be the haunt of smugglers.
422 Prince Arthur. Small, clean, quiet pub next to Police Station.
Manor Lane was an access lane running from the farmhouse to fields on the site of what is now Taunton and Micheldever Roads. It ran along a stream, which was one of the boundaries of the old parish of Lee. The route was established after the building of the present Manor House. – It did not then continue out into Old Road and it now peters out at that point. In 1911 a road ran north from the entrance to the Manor House gardens which were originally called Redruth Road. In 1913. Manor Lane Terrace became a separate road and Redruth Road became part of Manor Lane.
1-13 Farmhouse site. Manor House was built on the site of an earlier farmhouse so the replacement farmhouse was built here. It was itself replaced by a house for Admiral and Lady Palliser. It later became boys’ school and by 1841 the old farm buildings had been pulled down.
1-45 this was originally part of Redruth Road.
42 A wall from the Manor House Farm ran to here and still exists under the garden.
46-54 first called as Boswell Terrace
67-73 houses built in the 1890s as the earliest in the area, the whole of this site had been intended for used by the Roman Catholic Church and school,.
73 - 75 site of houses demolished because of bomb damage during the Second World War. After the war they remained undeveloped for some years, as too small for Council housing. Clark & Partners Ltd. developed them in the 1950s.
77 partly rebuilt following First World War damage
79-83 houses built on the land not required by the Roman Catholic Church and school, and were occupied by 1914.
91 originally 13 Manor Lane built in 1906, and used as an estate office by the builder, W. J. Scudamore. His name and address appears on various drain inspection covers in the roads on the estate.
108 site of Rainbird's nursery which was replaced with garages,
116 Access point to the nursery and no house built on it until 1954/5.
132-138 built in 1932. The site was reserved by the Church of Good Shepherd for a church hall but eventually sold for building for £252 during the Jubilee Year of the church 1931, and the money paid into the Jubilee Memorial Fund.
150-152 bomb damaged, and were replaced, about 1954/6, by two houses of different design.
162-178 A date stone with the date of building as 1904,
Bridge over the Quaggy. The original bridge was made for the farmer and built of from second-hand ship's timbers. It is also the boundary between the postal districts of SE12 and SE13.
Chiltonian biscuit factory moved into Manor Lane shortly after the First World War, from their previous factory at Staplehurst Road. It closed in August 1980. Before the First War it was a cricket ground.
Lochaber Hall, a simple former church hall by Ernest Newton, 1910. Built as the Holy Trinity Church parish hall. On the site of the farm buildings of the second farmhouse- of which some walls associated remain.
Manor Lane School. In the Second World War AFS was in the Infant’s Department and also the London Meals Service. Warden’s Training Centre in the laundry.
St.Winifred's schools and the little church (now the school hall), part of the same site as 67-73
Former Roman Catholic Church of St Winifred, Listed
Flood prevention measures include a large watercourse which runs from Burnt Ash Road along Taunton Road and enters the Quaggy close to the Manor Lane Bridge.
Water main was laid down crossing Manor Lane from Southbrook Road to Fernbrook Road 1977.
Manor Lane Terrace
Manor Lane in the 1890s the road continued along what i8s now Manor Lane Terrace. To the rear was a farm which in 1830 was growing melons here.
1, 3 & 5 dated as Diamond Jubilee Year, 1897, in a cartouche.
Fire hydrant, large round base with grooves
The Stream turned at junction and went down the line of the road to join the Quaggy at the bridge. Gardens reach down to the bank and each house owns a bit of bank. Just before the bridge water joins the stream from a flow at Hither Green.
Manor House Gardens. Pond built in the 18th to provide ice for the ice house. Quaggy flows along the side of it with earth banks, New stretch of river channel 1994 plus storm drain and places for birds to nest. Two footbridges over the Quaggy in the gardens,
Ice House. It is now in the garden of one of the private houses backing onto the Manor House Gardens. It is the entrance to an 18th icehouse and ice well associated with the Manor House in Sir Francis Barings’ day.
A stream, used as a boundary marker. It now runs from Verdant Lane under the railway, and once emerged in the gardens at the rear of the road. It is now underground in a brick culvert which is very close to the surface.Boundary stones in the allotment gardens here before the Crescent was built.
Parish boundary stone on the side of a building facing the railway.
Spur between Hither Green and Lee built mainly to allow freight trains round to the Hither Green yards. Opened 1899.
1-7 Southbrook Mews, c1870s.listed
Globe Cinema 1913. Promoted by the Green Man on Blackheath. It was for sale within a year and closed a year later. Became a biscuit factory, soda works, and engineering. Still standing in the 1980s
Entrance to Hither Green station
Blackheath New Proprietary School
Fire Hydrant in front of the church of the Good Shepherd. Gone
Farmhouse resited here when Lee Manor Farm House was remodeled. The last remaining farm buildings were pulled down some 15 years or so ago, when the close was built.
Board of Works Depot