Thames Tributary Earl Sluice - Camberwell Road
Earl Sluice is said to flow north down Camberwell Road until Albany Road, when it turns north east.
TQ 32590 77545
Essentially a residential area on the borders of Walworth and Camberwell. The area includes the remains of the Surrey Canal and its industrial hinteland, now largely turned into a park. Schools, pubs and brutalist estates, often now replaced.
Post to the west Kennington
Post to the north Walworth
Post to the east North Peckham
Post to the south Camberwell
First built 1810 with a formal centre. It was named after, Prime Minister, Henry Addington.
Burgess Park Entrance. Gate pillars inscribed 1910-1936, at the entrance to what was in 1936 a small recreation ground called King George’s Field. The site had previously been a wharf, baths, and vestry depot.
The path into the park from this entrance goes between what would have been the site of the baths and a small basin, which were part of Clarence Wharf. The way ahead would have been blocked by the Grand Surrey Canal.
Vestry Depot. Shown on earlier plans as a Stone Yard with a crane.
Basin - On the north side of the canal opposite the Vestry. This was larger and surrounded by wharves.
Surrey Stone Wharf. Would have been to the west of the gates.
Camberwell Wharf, later called Goodyear Place, would have been adjacent to the gates to the west
Addington Wharf, also to the west was a narrow strip at the end of the Grand Surrey Canal fronting onto the main road. It was built in order to allow the canal to be continued westwards in the future.
The road marks the southern border of Walworth Common. The Earl sluice divided Camberwell and Rotherhithe and it is the county boundary. The Road was laid out through fields soon after the Grand Surrey Canal was opened in 1801-10.
Grand Surrey Canal – wharves on this stretch, were Stone Wharf. Memel Firewood Wharf, this was a timber yard if only for firewood. Albany Wharf. Baltic Wharf for timber on the north bank of canal for the whole of the first section.
V2 18 December 1945. 17 killed, 60 injured. 6.54pm
339 William IV. The last pub on a road that once had many. Now all covered with white guk and flower paintings.
401 Prince Alfred - gone
Dining Hall for Brunswick Park School, by Stirling & Gowan, 1961-2, white brick with three huge windows, rearing up out of a green lawn, like a waterworks gone berserk – says Ian Nairn.
Benhill Road Nature Garden. On the site of a bomb site later used for post war prefabs. There is grassland and pond. Local people and school staff cleared it. There was a ceremonial peppercorn presentation. Roughland. Flowers.
It was previously Avenue Road
1 warehouse conversion to flats
5 Lord Clyde. Gone, site is now flats
One entrance into the park was from Addington Square. Plans for a new park had been proposed in the Forshaw and Abercrombie plan of 1943. This was the first area to be cleared for the park in the 1960s - between Addington Square and Albany Road Areas were cleared or added to be called North Camberwell Open Space, The Grand Surrey Canal closed in 1971. -renamed Burgess Park in 1974 after a local civic family.
Lime kiln. Built of brick left in the park. There had been a lime works here in the earliest years of the canal. The works which used this kiln closed in 1916 and the name of Burt, the kiln operator, remained as that of a small turning, since gone.
Shopping parades of 1906-8 plus 20th rebuilding
Addington Terrace. Called after Henry Addington PM 1801.
Addington Wharf - at the West end of the Grand Surrey Canal fronting on to the road
Earl Sluice crossed the road at the Albany Road junction which was called Walworth Bridge
Clubland church. Built on the site of Walworth Wesleyan chapel by Michael Searles opened in 1813. Clubland church was due to Revd James Butterworth who started a boys club here in 1922. The chapel was opened in 1929 and later a gym, theatre, studio and workshops were added. It was bombed flat in 1941.It was eventually rebuilt and opened again in 1964. Walworth Methodist Church
47 Bar in 30s block. Was previously the Fountain a Traditional large two-bar pub.
86 three Coade stone medallions from Dr. Lettsom's House. . A former stonemason's premises, with stuccoed front, pilasters,
134 Churchmead, Bishopsmead, some of Neylan & Ungless's plain but ingenious low-rise housing for Southwark, 1967-71, makes the best of a bad site. Two parallel three-and four-storey ranges facing some grass, with well hidden upper private patios
181 Carib bar was the Duke of Clarence
188 Castle.Modern two-bar pub built into a block of flats.
242 Nag's Head Grand Met with classic Truman tiled exterior.
Calvary Temple United Pentecostal Church. Dated 1891. Arcaded porch and tower with open belfry in front of a brick church
part of Horsman Street, late Chatham Street.
78 St.Michael's Eritrean Orthodox church. Was previously the Rose pub.
Flats and development and the miscellaneous results of slum clearance: taller series of slabs developed 1956 by the Greater London Council.
Pied Piper – brick and stone patterns on the wall of the caretaker’s house. Will Soukop 1969
Late Princes Street.
Previously Olney Street
Late Brunswick terrace
189 Grosvenor Arms. Closed
John Ruskin Street
Walworth Road Station 1st May 1863 London Chatham and Dover Railway. Opened as Camberwell Gate Station. On the north side of John Ruskin Street – then called Beresford Street. Line from Herne Hill was called the Metropolitan Extension and was intended to continue on to Farringdon. There had been a big campaign in the local press to get this station opened. In 1865 it was renamed Walworth Road. In 1916 it closed using the war as an excuse – but the real reason was lack of revenue and competition from more convenient trams.
18 Station Tavern. Gone
John Ruskin Primary School
49 Prince of Wales
Was previously George Street
Peabody housing 1974
99-103 Bizspace in a converted bakery (which I think must be the brewery)
Salvation Army – small church but there was a barracks here.
New Church Road
28 Admiral Codrington. Gone
83 Anchor and Hope. Gone
Evelina Mansions. “Four Per Cent Industrial Dwellings Company Ltd”, Established by a Jewish philanthropic organisation,
St Joseph's Primary School, plain Queen Anne, by Leonard Stokes, 1909
Brunswick Park Primary School built 1915
The British Queen
Late Smith Street.
54b Brewers Pub
Linking Walworth and Old Kent roads thoroughfares flanked by borough council and ex-L.C.C. housing estates
33 Bricklayers Arms
Between the two main roads. G.L.C. estate covers the area of what was one of Camberwell's worst 19th slums. The tower blocks of 1962-4 mark the shift to the brutalist style in the L.C.C.'s Architect's Department.
98 Windmill Pub. Gone.
Archbishop Michael Ramsey C of E Secondary School, 1971-5 by T. Ford & Partners. includes the rebuilt parish church of St Michael as part of the school buildings and it is near the road, with a spire filled with coloured glass. In the entrance hall a Coade stone Charity Boy of 1785, originally from Lambeth Ragged Schools.
Archbishop Michael Ramsay School. Web site
Boast. The Story of Camberwell
Clunn. The Face of London
Dearden. John Ruskin’s Camberwell
Disused Stations. Web site
Field. London Place Names
Nairn. Nairn's London
Nature Conservation in Southwark
Pevsner and Cherry. South London
Retracing Canals Croydon to Camberwell
St, Joseph's School. Web site
Walworth Methodist Church. Web site