Thames Tributary Ravensbourne - The Kid Brooks - Kidbrooke
The Mid Kidbrooke flows south west crossing Rochester Way by Brook Lane, continuing south west to cross Kidbrooke Park Road and intersecting the playing fields.
The Upper Kidbrook flows south west towards the Quaggy.
Post to the west Blackheath Village
Post to the east Kidbrooke
Post to the south Blackheath Park
Brian Annesley bought land here in 1571.
This was the east end of Hervey Road until Rochester Way was turned into trunk road and cut it in half.
1 the Kidbrook Parish Boundary comes here from Minnie Bennett House in Shooters Hill Road and then crosses Hervey Road sports field
The Kidbrook boundary ran east along Blackheath Park.
Boundary stone visible in the verge opposite the Morden Road junction.
On the line of old Kidbrook Lane. There is a dip at the end. The lane carried on past Upper Farm and the old village church was on the right.
The Kidbrook Parish boundary ran from Hunts Close and Kidbrook Grove. It then went behind where the site of the old library to Brook Lane. It then took a sharp turn south down Brook Lane towards the site of Middle Farm, turning east again roughly at Dursley Road following the line of the brook.
111-114 are built on the site of a church known as St.Nicholas in 1358, but may also have been called St.Blaise. It was later the site of a farmhouse for Upper Farm.
Probably on the site of Anglo Saxon graveyard for the medieval church,
Originally called Kidbrook Park Place
26 on the Kidbrook Parish Boundary. This has come across the Hervey Road sports field to cross the road here then goes on to Wricklemarsh Road.
The easternmost part of this road was developed from 1868, as a continuation of the development of Shooters Hill Road. The north side is Edwardian, and the south side interwar.
The Mid Kidbrook flows along here from Morden Road to Kidbrook Grove
The Kidbrooke Parish boundary goes down here from Morden Road and then across Kidbrooke Grove.
First mentioned from c.1115 – it is not in Domesday. The name is not found until 1608 but it is an ancient manor. Land falls away to the Quaggy, which could well have been boggy. The area was a source of timber for builders in the early 19th.
Parish of Kidbrooke - a piece of Charlton parish separated Kidbrooke into two parts, narrowing to a thin corridor between St James's Church and Morden College, but later including all the land between Blackheath village and the Mid Kid Brook. This was the area of part of the Wricklemarsh Estate. The narrowed section runs roughly along the boundary between the Blackheath Pebble beds and southern heavy clays.
A lime tree at the eastern end of the road marks is the southern end of a drain coming from Shooters Hill Road.
Regents Place. New houses built in 1982. This is the possible site of the Long Meadow over which a road was built for access to Morden College in the 1680s. It is partly in Kidbrook and partly in Charlton parishes and bisected by the Upper Kid Brook stream
Upper Kidbrook - Sir John Morden built a bridge over this but the Stream was piped underground when the railway tunnel was built.
Development by Lewis Glenton the earliest houses dating from 1871. It is a cul de sac at both ends, with road access from the middle.
Brick wall at the southern end beyond which is the eastern end of Blackheath Park.
The Kidbrook Parish boundary crosses the road from Hunt’s Close and then goes to Brook Lane.
2 -12 originally the coach houses for the larger houses.
11 1873 with a Victorian rail letterbox in the wall
36-38 are the ground floor, plus extensions, of a mansion, built in 1888 Morden Grange by John Belcher. For Richard Winch manager of the London Stock Exchange by John Belcher. Upper floors sliced off and became no 26. This was accessed by a driveway from Westbrook Road. In 1921 the upper floors were sliced off. Central loggia on the garden side.
Service cottage roughcast and brick
40 was converted from the stables of Morden Grange
56 boundary stones in the garden for the Kidbrooke Parish Boundary.
58 a mansion of 1877, with a turret and a conservatory, and lots of detailing. Now a residential home, with extensions, it was originally called Stonefield. In 1920, Dr C. V. Pink and Dr William White established a private maternity home here following Dr Truby King's ideas on child care, the Bircher-Benner dietary theories – they were vegetarian, against vaccination and believed in reincarnation. In 1954 it was sold to the Port of London Authority as a hostel, and bought by the Borough Council in 1965 and became a children's home.
Kidbrook Park Road
Follows the line of Kidbrook Lane and developed as a suburban road from 1866. Kidbrook Lane followed the downward slope of as far as the church
Kidbrook parish boundary goes across the road from a line of Hunts Close and then to the grounds behind the ex-library in Brook Lane. From Bournbrook road it follows the stream as it runs through the south-eastern block of the Ferrier Estate, across into the Delta sports ground, turning south to join the Quaggy River in the Roan School playing fields,
The Mid-Kidbrook forms the southern boundary of the Sports ground of Blackheath High School and then goes in a straight line to the railway. It filled a pond at the railway and a larger pond in Wricklemarsh grounds
Quaggy is the parish boundary, very old. Hedge count done showing 450-500 years divides manors
Upper Farm stood roughly on the site of the church. Also Hither Farm or Lower Farm
1a 1853, converted from the original stables of 56 Shooters Hill Road
26 marks the point where the old Kidbrook Lane ran from Shooters Hill Road, large chestnut tree at that point. A line of old trees go on to no.48 which marks the line of the hedge
44 tiny dip on the road for the line of the brook
48 line of trees on the line of Kidbrook Lane from here
56 boundary stone in the garden
Medieval church - the remains of the walls were still present and were only pulled down after a serious fire had burned the barns and ricks on Upper Farm in August 1864. In 1908 that fragments of the holy water stoup could be seen "on the spot where the shed now stands" until as late as 1886.
St James's Church. The site was provided in 1866 by the earl of St. Germans plus a rectory. The church was built by Newman & Billing, and consecrated in July 1867 by the bishop of Rochester. By 1881 serious subsidence was evident in the chancel, and it had to be rebuilt and additional space was created. The church was bombed in October 1940 and in 1944 by a V2 rocket. The church was rebuilt with a new green roof and spire, which was not as tall as the original. The rededication service was held in September 1955. It is a Victorian Gothic ragstone church. Inside is stained glass, multicolored, by Edwards & Powell. 1866-7. The church is sited at the point at which the line of Kidbrook Lane turned into what is now Brook Lane
Kidbrooke Park Estate. 1930s
Thomas Tallis School. A basic modernist school built 1971. On the east front, is Time and Space, an extraordinary multiplan sculpture by Margaret Higginson 1991, comprising the sun, the moon, a comet, the zodiac signs, a Ptolemaic revolving instrument, and, on a chimney, three sundials. Demolished and to be rebuilt.
Wireless Station. Opened In March 1922 this was the largest W/T Station in the R.A.F. on the site of Thomas Tallis School. Two 250 ft. high radio masts, with latticework uprights, were dismantled in 1934.
Morden College. The original almshouse, forming a square around a central quadrangle. It was built in 1695 to a design attributed to Sir Christopher Wren, The mason was Edward Strong. There are many later extensions and annexes. It is set in large grounds with landscaped gardens. Founded in 1695 by Sir John Morden, a Turkey merchant, on part of an estate which he had bought in 1669, as an almshouse for 'decayed Turkey merchants', each having a bedroom, a sitting room, and a half-share in a bathroom and kitchen. Sir John Morden was on the Greenwich Hospital Commission with Wren, he was probably influenced by Bromley College of which he was the treasurer. Projecting wings containing the treasurer's and the chaplain's quarters. It is built of brick with hard plaster quoins.
Alexander Court 1957 to the east, facing Kidbrook Grove
Boundary Stone - 100 yards from the lodge gates on the left of the southern roadway. It is an unmarked stone to indicate corner of field in front of college and it is Inside the Kidbrook boundary which goes round it. The boundary goes along the line of the Upper Kidbrook along the northern boundary of Morden College to the ‘tombstone’ boundary marker on the path to the west of the college. It then runs across the lawn in the front of the college and on to St.German’s Place.
Burial ground to the south of the 1933 extension. This was in use till 1865, with gravestones forming the footways, and some old walling. To the west of this is the enclosed chaplain's garden, the walls probably early 18th century
Chapel. On an axis with the entrance it is a simple rectangle reached by two wood-carved doorways and containing carved original furnishings, a 17th three-decker pulpit, pews, gallery, and communion rails. In the window small stained glass figures of c. 1600. The carving is said to be by Gibbons. Sir John Morden is buried there. Vestry behind was added in 1846. Outside the rear of the chapel is the Edwardstone Bell made c 1712 for the church at Edwardstone, where Lady Morden lived before marriage. It came to the College in 1986.
Cullum Welch Court 1971, the medical centre to the southeast, in a more modem style
Dining room with a portrait of Queen Anne by an unknown artist flanked by portraits of Lord and of Lady Morden by Lely. Tapestry, probably Flemish.
Infirmary wing by Banister Fletcher, 1932-3. , linked to the main building by a colonnade
Montague Graham Court 1976, on the other side of the public footpath,
Muniment room, under the dining room, with documents, prints, maps etc., a manual fire engine of 1751.
Pond in 1846. The Brook flowed across this to the northwest corner. Possible that it was a gravel pit. It is the source of the spring which goes down the railway line and into the Quaggy at the High Pavement
Sundial on the south wall of the quad on a chimney. 1695
Wells Court 1966 to the northeast, with colonnades; 1838 boundary marker on the corner
Morden College Walk
The Kidbrooke Parish boundary followed the path from Kidbrooke Park Road, although it cuts corners slightly.
Under the laurel bushes to the south of the path as it turns north round the grounds of Morden College. It follows the Upper Kid Brook stream along the northern side of the College estate, and ran to the tombstone boundary mark on the path to the west of the college, across the lawn in front of the college, and from the lodge gates it passed north along the garden walls of the houses in St Germans Place.
Boundary markers on the Northern perimeter of Morden College south of the path leading to path from Blackheath, at the point where the Upper Kidbrook crossed. In north east corner of grounds in right angle of wall to north of path,
Upper Kidbrook crosses it and there is a boundary stone with k/c for Kidbrook Charlton boundary here.
Boundary markers under laurel bush south of the path where it changes direction
The Kidbrook Parish boundary went along Morden Road from Blackheath Park to no.17 then east along the path to Hunt's Close
Post box depicting the rare V.R. (Victoria Regina) insignia
17 Kidbrook boundary from Blackheath Park turns east here and along Hunts Close.
A real mews, with houses converted from old coach houses of Shooters Hill Road.
Shooters Hill Road
The road from Blackheath and via the motorway roundabout to Hervey Road, with impressive houses, built between 1825 and 1869.
The Kidbrook Parish boundary. From the corner of St Germans Place and Shooters Hill Road it followed the line of the front garden walls of 2-20 Shooters Hill Road. It then ran east; inside the garden walls of the houses as far as Eastbrook Road, and to the north-east corner of Minnie Bennett House. It then turned sharply south-west to 1 Begbie Road,
2-20 Tea Caddy Houses - group of detached brick villas built 1826-32, with some added porches and linking extensions. Unknown developer. They faced onto the Heath Field of Kidbrook Farm. 1826. The Kidbrook Parish boundary followed the line of the front garden walls.
22 boundary marker outside very worn
78 nursing home from 1905 to 1918. In 1920, it was taken over as a Maternity Home by Greenwich Borough Council. In 1946 it became a public library and eventually the Kidbrooke House Community Centre which, in 1967, moved to Mycenae Road. Demolished for the motorway
86 Oakland House. Preparatory school in 1902. The advertisements were for "Girls to Thirteen and Boys to Nine Years of Age,” in the 1920s, the school had about 100 pupils, but the school did not survive the war in 1939.
Milestone 18th on a triangular green, with replica 19th iron plates reading 'London 6 miles' and 'Dartford 9 miles'.
St German's Place
The field which is now St Germans Place was referred to in 1552 as ‘Cadebrook Ground’. It is the. Earliest bit of development in Kidbrook by Alexander Doull. The Landowners were the Earls of St.Germans. The first bit, Kidbrooke Lodge, has been demolished
Kidbrooke Parish boundary. From Morden College lodge gates this passed north along the garden walls of the houses in St Germans Place. It then turned into Shooters Hill Road.
4 Christ’s College. The first two headmasters were brothers William and Richard Greenlaw. The Blackheath Military Academy was open to boys 8-15. In 1858 the building passed was residential but reverted to a prep school under the Rev G. M. Jones in 1863. The name Christ's College dates from the 1890s under the headship of the Rev F. W. Availing when there were 65 pupils. In World War II the school moved to Cornwall, and it reopened in September 1945 with 45 students but quickly there were 250. A chapel built to commemorate the death of the wife of one of the headmasters.
St German’s chapel completed by 1823 and known as St German's, or St Germain's Chapel built by the Rev. William Greenlaw at the same time as Christ's College. It was owned by Mr Greenlaw and was initially unconsecrated, although licensed for the divine service of the Church of England. Leases on it passed through various hands and it was consecrated in 1914, given the nominal district of St Germans Place. In 1940, it was bombed and then hit by a flying bomb, in 1944. It was never rebuilt.
5-8 damaged by bombing and demolished. Replaced by Lynher Lodge for the Metropolitan Police Authority.
Boundary markers for Kidbrook Parish. The Boundary of Kidbrook parish was on the west.
Paragon Cricket Club
1958 like The Hall an early, quite large group of tile-hung houses
Under this wide pedestrian way is the shallow railway tunnel between Blackheath and Charlton
Upper Kidbrook to the south of it