Riverside west of the Tower and north of the river Hampton Wick
This post relates to sites north of the river only. South of the river is Kingston
Post to the south Hampton Court Park Rick Pond and Kingston Portsmouth Road
Post to the north Canbury Gardens and Teddington Normansfield and Trowlock
Barge Walk Cottages
Named after Timothy Bennett the cobbler of Hampton Wick. The entrance to the close from Park Road was the entrance to the Moyle Foundry. The Close itself dates from 1977 and replaced the foundry with flats and library.
38 Victor Moyle's foundry to the rear. They undertook a wide variety of machining operations, sheet-metal working, electrical work, tool and pattern making, foundry work, and rubber and plastic moulding,
Hampton Wick Library. Designed by M. J. Landolt, Borough Architect for London Borough of Richmond.
Queen Victoria Jubilee Memorial – this is a drinking fountain with a lamp on top. It was Built with public donations in 1897 and stood on the High Street. With in the early 20th it was relocated to the junction of Church Grove and Hampton Court Road and was neglected. It has now been restored and is outside the library
Bullen Hall. This is a modern hall
Hampton Wick Royal Cricket Club. This was founded in 1863 and its grounds are in Bushy Park.
The King’s Fields. Playing Fields, King George V donated the site to the National Playing Fields Association in 1927 for use by local children. A skateboard park opened in 1998.
Kingston Bridge House. This is a Kingston University Hall of Residence. There was a house here with this name which was demolished in 1959 and the current building erected. In 1963 this was Vickers Sperry Rand, manufactures of marine hydraulic power plant. It was converted to student accommodation in 1995.
4 Ecclesia House built 1829 and later called Fairlight
St. John the Baptist. This was originally a chapel of ease to the parish church of St Mary at Hampton. It was paid for by the Church Commissioners and it was completed by 1830. Edward Lapidge was the architect and he also donated the land for it – he had been born in Hampton Wick. It is a plain Gothic Revival s church in yellow Suffolk brick and Bath stone. It was intended for it to seat 800 people and half the sears were not subject to pew rent. It was enlarged in 1887 and restored in 1880 and 1911. It was however closed in 2005 and re-opened in 2010.
The Warehouse. This is the community hall of St John's Hampton Wick. It has four rooms for hire. It is also part of Fairlight Mews which were the stables and amenity buildings for Fairlight the house in Church Grove next to the church.
Asquith Bushy Park Day Nursery. This was originally the hall for St. John’s Church, sold off in the past.
This is a footpath going across the parks from Sandy Lane to Hampton High Street.
Timothy Bennet, the Shoemaker of Hampton Wick took exception to the local lord enclosing the park and forcing lengthy detours on the locals so he fund raised to go to court on the issue. Eventually a public right of way was established across Bushy Park and this is known as 'Cobblers Walk'. Timothy later wrote a play about the whole episode.
Hampton Court Road
For most of the length of this road in this square it runs between old brick walls and a wide grass verges. Behind the walls are Hampton Court Park to the south and Bushy Park to the north.
Old King’s Head. Mid 19th pub in a prominent position. It is not clear if there is any relationship on the site with a Kings Head present in the 17th.
Hampton Wick Gate Lodge. Built around 1800
Gate posts for the Kingston Gate into Hampton Court Park
Hampton Court Park
Old ice house. This is 12-sided brick structure in plum brick. Used for storing ice collected in winter for food preservation. It is said to date from 1625 – although other sources say it is 18th.
Hampton Wick Pond. The pond dates from the 1650s
1 White Hart Hotel. Possibly on this site since the 17th, the present building dares from 1930
22 The Swan Pub. This is mentioned in a document of 1610 by the date 1535 is painted on the front which suggests that this is its original earliest date. It was rebuilt in 1931.
29 Thames Valley Plating Works. This was taken over by the French brothers in 1924 and set up as Electrical Manufacturing and Plating Co. They made loudspeakers. In time this became Celestion – albeit eventually located elsewhere,
45 Foresters Hotel. This is first documented in 1861 and it Dutch gables came later. It was however The Hope Beershop in 1851, and then called the Man of Kent from 1863 and The Foresters Arms from 1881
45a Local Board offices which later became the Urban District Council. This was built in 1884 by Richard T Elsam, Surveyor to the Hampton Wick Local Board - which date is shown on the building. A terracotta roundel shows the stag and crown emblem of Hampton Wick. The building later became the public library and in the 1960s the upper floors were converted to flats. There is a council chamber on the ground floor and above were offices and caretaker’s flat.
Hampton Wick Junior School and Infants School, These were adjacent the council offices but have since been demolished. They were National Schools which implies they had an origin in a local Church of England. It was still on site here in the 1950s as Hampton Wick County Primary school which moved from here in 1965 to its present site
Boys School. This is shown next to the Primary School. It may be a later version of the Hampton Free School’s Annexe at Hampton Wick set up in 1839. Hampton School was that time a state grammar school
59-61 this was the Rose and Crown pub. It closed in 2004 and is now a noodle bar. It is first mentioned as a pub in 1788,
60 Navigator House/ This was the Grove Inn noted in 1853. It closed around 1920 and became a petrol station and garage, Grove Motors. In the 1980s it was converted to offices and is now called Navigator House.
91 Railway Tavern. This closed in 2009 but is first documented in 1859. It was originally called the New Inn.
Hampton Wick Station. This lies between Kingston and Teddington stations on South Western Trains. It was opened in 1863 by the London and South Western Railway on the insistence of the Parliamentary Commissioners when the line opened to Kingston. It was rebuilt in 1968 with a CLASP system building.
Lower Teddington Road
Beckett's Wharf. C.W.Beckett family had a lighterage business here to the 1950s. It dated back to at least the 1920s. They owned a variety of tugs and other vessels. The wharf subsequently became used for office accommodation. It is now housing.
Burgoynes Boat Yard. C. & A.Burgoyne (or Burgoine) had opened in 1860s and built canoes launches and yachts in the 1880s- describing themselves as ‘Boat Builders to Her Majesty” - as they had built the state barge. They became bankrupt in 1910 but the boatyard was bought by son in law Harry Offer and they continued in business but a younger generation appear to have diversified and moved from the area although the Offer Group continues in construction work. The site is now housing.
18 Old Castle Wharf. Blighty Electric washing machine manufacturers were here in 1928 – in fact they made a range of household appliances, mostly gas powered. By 1929 P. & H. Metal predicts had a works making press tools.
18 Old Malt House. This is a house – but maltings were a major industry on the riverside here
26 this is a late 18th house known as Skinners Hall, and later Springfield and now Moiravale. It had been used as an old people's home in the 20th
This is a small park at the south side of the approach to Kingston Bridge near the entrance to Hampton Court Home Park
Hampton Wick War Memorial. This commemorates the casualties of both World Wars. It was unveiled on 3 May 1921 with the Church Lads Brigade and a bugler from the East Surrey Regimental Depot. In 1933 it was floodlit using gas from the Hampton Wick Gas Co. It consists of a cross on a shaft and plinth with stones of remembrance and a small tablet. It says “Parish of Hampton Wick 1914-1918. To the glory of God and in memory of those brave men of this Parish who gave their lives for their country.
Old Bridge Street
Marks the site of the pre-1828 bridge. Medieval remains were found here in 1972 as well as substantial relics of the previous bridge.
Harcos Timber Yard. This was previously a timber yard owned by Gridly Miskin. Metal-framed storage buildings here are thought to be early 20th in origin
White Horse Pub. Demolished
Victory Industries Ltd . This began in a boat house alongside Kingston Bridge during the Second World War. It was founded by, Captain William John Warren and Gerald Fenner Burgoyne to manufacture electrical components for the Ministry of Supply. In 1946 they moved to Guildford and developed further.
Hart Harden & Co., boat builders. These were present in the 1920s near Kingston Bridge. Mr Harden ‘naval architect’ worked on motor vessels in the early 20th, selling them as far afield as India and the Far East. ‘One of the busiest firms on the river’. Some of their boats are now noted in national collection
38 This house fronted Victor Moyle foundry.
Ingram House. Site of Vicarage. Demolished and flats built 1934
10 Chase Lodge Hotel. This was Mayfield built in 1883 and said to be the home of a magistrate
12 Kelly’s Dance Studio. This was the Assembly rooms opened in 1889. It contained one large room, seating 250, and smaller rooms. In 1890 the Baptist Mission moved here from the High Street. Here, as well as the Sunday School, evening services were added, plus summer open-air meetings. From 1914 it was used as a furniture depository and later, from 1928, the Hepworth School of Dancing.
Timothy Bennett Memorial. Terracotta monument to the shoemaker who preserved the right of way across Bushy Park. This is by the gate on the junction of Park Road and Sandy Lane.
This is named for the National School which stood on the corner with the High Street.
Assembly Rooms. Large sign on the wall at the junction of Park Road.
25 St. Johns Vicarage. The house is also known as ‘The Old Vicarage’. A St.John’s Vicarage is also found in Park Road – demolished and now the site of flats. Fairlight, next to St. John’s Church, also seems to have reverend occupants. St.John’s Vicarage, whichever, is described, by Pevsner, as being designed by famous architect, S.S.Teulon.
St Johns Road
St. John’s Mews – was Fairlight Mews. Described as a coach house with use as a wartime fire station
12 Alfred Bullen brass foundry. Now Visual Impact in buildings at the rear of the house
1 The Sidings. House built in modern style 2011 on the railway sidings.
Upper Teddington Road
Hampton Wick Baptist Church. The church had started in 1879 and used various buildings in the area. In 1902 William Hart bought the current site, which was empty fields and fund raising events were organised. The building was completed in 1905. In 1934 a Sunday School Hall at the back of the church was opened. The Mission closed in 1940 and the buildings were requisitioned as an emergency Rest Centre and two brick air raid shelters were built. The Mission reopened in 1946. The church has remained active ever since and has had various extensions over the years
7-9 currently a car wash this was the Agean Works of Lazgill, precision engineers, after 1940. They are now in Vicarage Road.
11 Calnet Laboratory Services. This dates from 1991 and offers full calibration service. They are a division of Lazgill which were once adjacent to their building.
Snercold Engineering. This was the Safety Non-Explosive Reservoir Co Ltd. They made a number of such safety systems in the early 20th.
Precision Works. Lazgill Ltd. Calibration and precision engineers.
Calnet. Web site
Chase Lodge Hotel. Web site
Faded London. Blog site
Field. London Place Names
Friends of Hampton Wick Library. Web site
Grace’s Guide. Web site
Greater London Council. Thames Guidelines
Hampton School. Web site
Hampton Wick Baptists. Web site
Hampton Wick History. Web site
Hampton Wick Royal Cricket Club. Web site
Historic England. Web site
Imperial War Museum. Web site
Kingston Trails. Web site
London Borough of Kingston. Web site
Lost Pubs. Web site
Panorama of the Thames. Web site
Parks and Gardens. Web site
Pastscape. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. South London
Port of London Magazine
Return to the Victory. Web site
Salter’s Guide to the Thames
St. John’s Church. Web site
Thames Tugs. Web site
Twickenham Museum. Web site
Walford. Village London
Wheatley and Meulencamp. Follies
Wikipedia. Hampton Wick Station. Web site