Riverside west of the Tower and north bank Ankerwycke
This post covers sites north of the river only. South of the river is Runneymede Pleasure Grounds
Post to the west Runneymede Magna Carta
Post to the east Runneymede Bell Weir and Ankerwycke
Ankerwycke Estate.This is parkland lying on the banks of the Thames. It is owned by the National Trust. Until 1998 is was owned by Berkshire County Council and previously Buckinghamshire County Council. Until the 1920s it was owned by Guy Harcourt. A distinctive feature of is a substantial number of mature trees disposed singly or in small clumps. There are also remnants of enclosure features including iron railings and a ha-ha. Much of the southern part of the estate was imparked in the early years of the 19th. fields were known as Lower Warren, Long Mead, Grove, Little Day Meadow, Great Day Meadow, Reddings Meadow and Ankerwycke Island. There are possible crop-marks in Lower Warren and indications of what may be former ridge-and-furrow and there are other features seen on aerial photographs. The ornamental planting of specimen trees is a feature of the landscape. Streams exist which form the boundary of the park or pass through it.
Great Ankerwycke. This house is said to have been to the south of the site of THE medieval priory, which dissolved in 1540. It was demolished in 1803- 1805,
Ankerwyke House. After the dissolution in the mid 16th the lands of the dissolved Priory were given to Sir Thomas Smyth. He built Ankerwycke House, which in 17324 was inherited by the Harcourt family in 1725, and remained here until the 1920s. Ankerwycke House had s stables, a lodge and some cottages.
Ankerwyke Priory. This was a priory for Benedictine nuns founded around 1160 and dissolved 1536. It was founded by Gilbert de Muntfichet, Lord of yrardisbury; and dedicated to St Mary Magdalene. There are ruins of a 13th building with 15th additions. There is some wall about 10' high with some more at right angles. This is 1.2m thick of chalk random rubble with dressings of chalk and sandstone. There are five windows.
Two fishponds, water filled and in fair condition south east of the ruins.
Depression. This is south of the ruins and runs north-south 110.0m. At the it turns through two right-angled bends and ends 60.0m later west of the nunnery
The Ankerwycke Yew. This is an ancient tree close to the ruins of the Priory. It is a male tree with a girth of 8 metres. It is at least 1,400 years old and could be as much as 2500 years old.
Colne Valley. Web site
National Trust. Web site
Pastscape. Web site