Riverside west of the Tower and north of the river. Sunbury riverside
This post has sites north of the river only. South of the river is Walton at Sunbury Lock
Post to the south Wheatley's Ait and Walton Waterside
Post to the east Apps Court and Sunbury Rivermead
This was previously called Cemetery Road. Anvil Road appears to have been laid out in the 1970s on land used as a caravan site and associated areas. Housing is planned for the site.
Sunbury Old Cemetery. This was apparently opened in 1855 by public subscription and was followed by the closure of the Churchyard as a burial ground.
Old Vicarage. 18th house – of which some part might date from the reconstruction of the building in the late 17th. This building was sold in the 1920s and a new vicarage built elsewhere,
St.Mary’s Church. The parish church was built in 1752 to replace a medieval church on the same site which was demolished partly because it was too small for the population. The new brick building was funded by subscriptions from parishioners and was designed by Stephen Wright, as a plain brick building With a square tower, the upper part of which remains, the roof surmounted by a large octagonal cupola. In 1857 when the church again was thought to be too small S. S. Teulon added a new chancel was built, with a south chapel, plus Extensions and staircases to new galleries. A great deal of decoration with multicoloured brick and filled stone tracery was added. The Gothic porch was added which has since been removed and there were other changes in 1972 following a period of disuse. The bells originate with three bells cast in 1755 at the Whitechapel Foundry. They have been renovated and added to since.
Churchyard. This was in use until 1876 when the Old Cemetery was opened. A yew tree is believed to have been planted in 1752.
Brewery – in the late 19th this stood between Church Villa and the Church.
Holly Close, This appears to be on the site of Church Villas. Sunbury Urban District Council was formed in 1894 and by 1895 had leased Church Villa and used it as offices until 1930.havimg bought it outright in 1929. It was then used as a fire station until the 1960s.
Fire station. This was built before 1934 and there was a new larger station at rear of same plot by 1958. This was built before the Greater London Council took over from Middlesex Fire Brigade in 1965
The Hazelwood Centre is built on the site of the demolished Hazelwood Golf Club. It is now the administration and training base of the London Irish Professional Club and is also the base of the London Irish Amateur Club. It is four times the size of the clubs previous training facility with 17 pitches, five full-size pitches, one of which is an artificial 4G surface, and 12 junior pitches. There is a clubhouse which includes elite equipment required for a professional rugby team.
Hazelwood Golf Centre. This was a 9 hole, private, parkland golf course designed by J. Gaunt. There was also a floodlit driving range with full clubhouse facilities including bar/restaurant and a function room for hire and a shop.
Sunbury House. This faced the river from the north side of the road. It is thought to have been built in 1712 for Sir Roger Hudson and designed by Thomas Fort. It was of three stories connected by curved passages to pavilions at each end. It was demolished before 1912.
Once called Cemetery Lane
Page Aerospace Works. This was part of UTC Aerospace Systems, a suppliers of aerospace and defence products. This site appears to have closed in early 2015
Sunbury Gas Works. This works had no rail or water connection. It opened around 1861 as Sunbury Gas Consumers Co. Which eventually became a statutory company in 1887. It was taken over by the Brentford Gas Co. in 1915 when it has an annual output of 36 million cubic feet of gas. There were two gasholders on site which were latterly filled from the district mains at night. They were still extant in the 1960s, although one may have been replaced in this period, by which time the works was part of North Thames Gas.
80 Hawke House, This is an 18th house commissioned by Lord Admiral Hawke , First Lord Commissioner of the Admiralty and Rear Admiral of Great Britain." ,and where he lived in retirement. Its wings have been converted into Berwick House and Portland House. The block was built in 1703 and probably replaced an earlier house. During the Second World War it was used as the local food office and then became the local headquarters of the Women's Voluntary Service, and later a guest house. In the 1970s it became offices a new northern wing was built. In 2006 it was converted into three houses.
Conservative Club. This dates from the early 20th. It has a low-rise single-storey club budding fir snooker tournaments, separate meeting areas as well as a large bar. It has no links to the Conservative party
81 Admiral Hawke pub. This was set up in 1862 as the Railway Arms. It was renamed the Admiral Hawke Tavern in 1965.
35 Three Fishes. This pub was established by 1665. It is a Timber framed building with a weatherboard gable end.
Parish Hall. This has over the door “1892 In Memoriam 1899”. It is not clear what this refers to but records for maintenance of ‘Parish Rooms’ start in 1899.
Was Gravel Pit lane
Sunbury Cemetery. This is Sunbury New Cemetery which dates from 1900. There are 36 war graves noted.
School. At some time before 1700 where had been donations for the education of poor children of the parish. In 1818 the Free or Charity School appears to have been financed from this fund. From 1815 it was a National School and in 1826 a new National school was built on glebe land in School Walk taking both boys and girls. By 1847 there was also an infants' school. It became known as St. Mary's or Lower Sunbury School and was transferred to the county council in 1919 and closed in 1924. Before the 1950s the buildings were sold the Scouts and Guide Associations.
Scouts hall – used by 1st Sunbury Scouts Group
School House. This is now a care home.
Sunbury Park house. A Tudor Manor House was built here for am Elizabethan courtier and there is an illustration of this from 1714. In 1851 the Arden family built a large house, which was demolished in 1946. Some of the house can be seen in the wild garden to the west of the car park. In 1975 Surrey County Council bought the site and it was later leased to Spelthorne Council.
The Walled Garden. This was built in the early 18th and has recently been restored by Spelthorne Council.
The Lendy Memorial is in the centre of the walled garden. It is a re-creation of structure - the original lion on a new plinth - which stood on the riverside here but which was destroyed during the Second World War. It commemorates the lives of the two sons of the French-born Major Auguste Frederic Lendy a royalist who settled here and ran a "Practical Military College"
Sunbury Millennium Embroidery Gallery, this houses the Millennium Embroidery which was completed in 2000. There is a cafe n the gallery building, which is designed to look like a boat
This was once called Sunbury Street.
69 The White Horse. 19th brick corner pub with emphasis given to the corner chimney feature. The pub is first mentioned in 1729 and claimed to be the oldest established alehouse in Sunbury - if you exclude inns like the Three Fishes. There is a Courage gold cockerel mounted above the hanging sign
The Phoenix. Pub established by 1846. Stoner Cottage is to the right. There are four first floor windows two of which are fake with painted bars. It is suggested that an earlier alehouse here, the pub Incorporated Stoner Cottage by 1935 and you can see the two premises visible in the cellars and steps from the cellar of Stoner Cottage emerge in the bar.
64 Magpie Hotel. This pub was established before 1729 and was rebuilt in 1880
Flower Pot Hotel. 19th pub with a porch. Inside is a parliamentary clock. The building is said to date from before 1714..
Lendy Place. New gated development built on the site of the Metropolitan Police Cadet Training Centre. This was on the site of Montford House.
Sunbury Nursing Home, this was opened by Marian Blarney in 1932 as West Lodge Nursing Home and also included Weir Lodge and Montford House. The home was later run by her grandsons and they built Marian House in 1962. Hayward Hall was also built in 1991 as staff accommodation and names after one of the employees. It continues to be run by Marian’s great grandchildren.
Weir House. This is part of Sunbury Nursing Homes. It has been modernised for the needs of a nursing home but many original features have been retained – rooms have been used for filming and are available to hire. The Nursing Home was opened by Marian Blarney in 1932 as West Lodge Nursing Home. Weir House was bought in 1941
This runs along an old track which was the boundary between Sunbury and Kempton.
British History Online. Sunbury. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Commonwealth War Graves Commission. Web site
Firestations. Web site
London Irish Rugby Club. Web site
London Metropolitan Archive. Web site.
Pub History. Web site
Spelthorne Council. Web site
Stewart. Gas works of the North Thames Area
St.Mary’s Church. Web site
Sunbury Conservative Club. Web site
UTC Web site