Small River Lee/Lee Navigation Cheshunt
The Small River Lee and the Lee Navigation flow southwards to the River Lee and the Thames
TL 36482 02375
Suburban area alongside the Lea, its Navigation and the main road. Much industry here and market gardening giving an impetus to big supermarkets starting here. Riverside leisure activities
Post to the east Hooks Marsh
Post to the north Cheshunt
Post to the south Cheshunt
Lee Valley. This is another old gravel pit now used by Herts Young Mariners.
RMC house. St Albans Sand & Gravel Co Ltd, who undertook most of the gravel workings in the area, were taken over by ReadyMix Concrete from the 1960s.
New Tesco House - HQ of mega mega grocery chain.
Lotus Cars had factory unit here 1959-1962. Moved because of difficulties with planning permission for expansion following complaints about noise. It is said that a special ramp for moving the cars remained on site.
Terraces of 20th housing once called Windmill Terrace
176-184 18th cottages
Trading estate and light manufacturing
This was the grounds of a house called Elm Arches, and given to the borough by the Grundy Brothers in 1911 and opened as a park.
Grundy Park Leisure Centre. Opened 1985.
Cheshunt Grammar School. Thus was opened in built 1935. From 1988 it took pupils from neighbouring closed schools. And in 1992 moved to a new site. The old School was demolished and the site used for housing, using street names associated with the school. The site of the school’s outdoor pool, built in 1959, was used for flats in 2005
River Lee Navigation
Jolly Bargemen. House of 1840. Closed a long time ago and demolished
Bofors anti-aircraft gun panel on the east bank. For guarding Waltham Abbey and Enfield Government works. Adapted as a shelter for bats
Cheshunt Winding Hole
Small River Lee
Cheshunt Station. The first station stood north of the crossing and was part of the Northern and Eastern Line between Stratford and Broxbourne opened in 1840 and leased to Eastern Counties Railway. It has originally been planned in 1836 as a line to Cambridge. In 1891 the Great Eastern Railway opened a line from Lower Edmonton to Cheshunt. Trains ran to White Hart Lane where passengers had to change. However there were few passengers and it was closed in 1909 but reopened 1915-1919 for munitions. It was then used only by a daily freight train until 1961 when, following electrification, half-hourly trains ran to Bishops Stortford. The remains of the older station stood there until the 1970s when the newer station was modernised.
1-3 Over the Line. 1843
Cheshunt Sawmills, including a siding to it. Now demolished.
Wolsey Hall. Built in 1961 with money which the council made from letting out gravel sites on the marshes. It includes meeting rooms, and many other facilities.
177 The Maltsters. Rebuilt in the 1970s and originally stood to the west. It was at one time called the Railway Tavern and converted into a pub in 1840 from two cottages
198 Red Cow. Licensed from 1854 in 18th buildings.
210 The Windmill. Built in 1891 replacing an earlier pub with the same name.
Windmill – this stood to the north west of the Maltsters and belonged to them from the mid 19th. 1822-1861
191-195 XTD House.. Offices on the site of a dye works and then Mr. Rose’s livery stables.
61-63 17th or earlier timber-frame hall house
Pinders Cottage. Modern building
Herts Young Mariners Base. Opened in 1957 and managed by East Herts College. In a building part of which was called Toy Hall because it was a toy factory. It was originally part of a government scheme to train young people for the merchant navy. It used a lake, on the site of Cheshunt Wharf known then as Toyhall Lagoon and this was later merged with another a cut between them, the cut being used for canoes. A replacement building was opened in 1998
Wharf used by Young Mariners. This has been cited as the point at which Palmer’s overhead, or Suspension, railway reached the Navigation. This is thought to be the first monorail and opened in 1825 having been designed by Henry Robinson Palmer. It came from Rowland’s Brick Works, which lay to the west of Turners Hill, and was built in order to carry their bricks to barges on the Navigation, having crossed the Small River Lee.
Swimming Pool. Built by Cheshunt Swimming club from a cut in the Lea navigation set up for a wharf in the 19th. Taken over by the local authority. Cut removed by gravel workings but a concrete wall north of where the the footpath joins the bank of the navigation can still be seen
Network Rail Cheshunt Maintenance Depot
British History online. Cheshunt
Defence of Britain. Web site
Hertfordshire County Council. Web site
Herts Young Mariners. Web site
Lewis. Lea Valley Industry (5 vols)
Lewis. London's Best Kept Secret
Pub History. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Hertfordshire