Cobbins Brook - Shingle Hall

Cobbins Brook

Cobbins Brook flows eastwards to the River Lee

Post to the east Marles Farm
Post to the south Epping Upland

Site of Shingle Hall. The Hall was part of the Waltham Abbey estate. The manor extended into Great Parndon and the name came from the roof of shingles on the medieval house. It is first mentioned in 1253.  In 1303 it had a windmill. It subsequently became part of the Copped Hall estate until the 16th. At the dissolution of Waltham Abbey it passed to the Crown and was granted to Lord Morley. Manor courts were still held here in the 19th century. The manor house was demolished in 1899 and cottages built on site although the moat remains.


Popular posts from this blog

Bromley by Bow

South Norwood

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town