The London/Essex boundary - Havering Park
The London/Havering/Essex boundary continues due east and dips slightly southwards, to return north eastwards crossing a path, Witch Hill Plantation, and another patch of trees.
Post to the north Bournebrook Bridge
Sites on the London, Havering, side of the boundary
Bower Farm Road
Bower Farm. Part of Havering Park. The original 18th Bower Farm was built on the site of the royal house But David McIntosh demolished it and built Havering Park. The name Bower Farm was transferred to a new house, built about the same time.
Cottage, cattle sheds now converted to stables. Coloured brick trim to the windows.
Gas house with chimney.
Havering Park. The dock contractor Hugh McIntosh acquired the estate in 1828. His son David McIntosh, built a substantial house c. 1850-70, Italianate which was demolished in 1925.
Havering Country Park. The extensive grounds, heavily planted by the Macintoshes, were sold off in one-acre plot lands in 1925. In 196l Essex County Council decided to implement a green policy for the area. The small plotland houses were cleared in the 1970s, by the GLC, to local protest, and the land opened as a park in 1976. Large areas of native woodland and natural acid grassland. A significant historic landscape having been royal hunting ground. Areas of native hedge and running water
Stables and estate cottage. A riding school occupies the stables a substantial U-shaped building; both with polychrome brick trim to windows.
Was the drive to Havering Park. 100 sequoia. Still runs along the high ground, with later 19th planting, now somewhat overwhelmed by later development.
Plotland plots were laid out along Wellingtonia Avenue
Park Office. A single surviving plot land bungalow
Witch Hill Plantation