The London/Essex border - Roding Valley
The London/Waltham Forest/Essex boundary comes south east and crosses Farm Way, going between Farm Way and Beresford Drive. It crosses Kings Avenue, and the Railway where it turns north and follows the railway northwards
The London/Waltham Forest/Essex boundary comes south down the Roding and then, south of the sewage works, turns east
These boundaries have been subject to change
The river Roding continues to flow south
Post to the north Buckhurst Hill
Post to the east Woodford Bridge
Post to the south Woodford Bridge
Sites on the Essex side of the border
159 Little Monkhams. Burnt down the day before it went to Planning Committee
Loughton Junction. Line built to Loughton in 1856. Fairlop Loop joined to it in 1903 from Ilford.
From here on the line to Chigwell a double track curves east on a high embankment across the Roding Valley,
Roding Valley Station. 3rd February 1936. Between Chigwell and Woodford on the Central Line. Built by the London North East Railway and opened following agitation from local people. Only very simple shelters and an iron footbridge In Station Way and Cherry Tree Rise. Originally named ‘Roding Valley Halt’. In 1948 became part of the Central Line, LT. least used station on the underground.
James Wright . site of his artificial stone manufactory which he learnt about in Venice.
Monkham’s Inn. Huge, pub tries to offer something for everyone and, by and large, succeeds.
Sites on the London, Redbridge, side of the border
Rayhouse. Was never a manor, and until the 19th it was a copyhold tenement. At the beginning of the 18th the Cleland family owned it and by 1770 it was owned by Sir James Wright, British minister at Venice, who lived in the two-storey five-bay brick mansion. In 1793 he started to build Ray Lodge, near Ray House, for his son George, employing as architect John Papworth, and then aged only 18. George Wright. Ray House was rebuilt after a fire at the turn of the century and was sold in 1924 to Bryant & May Ltd. as a country club and sports ground. In 1958 it was sold to the borough council and became a public park. The estate was originally by the river and a 16th reference shows that it covered both banks by 'Reyhouse-brygge'. Ray Lodge has disappeared and all that survives of the 18th-century Ray House is its octagonal walled garden at the north end of Ray Park, still used as a plant nursery. The name of Ray Lodge is preserved in Ray Lodge Road and Ray Lodge Close. Ray Park, the gas works, and the Ashton playing fields now cover most of the rest of the area. It is close to the noisy M11.
Ray House nearby, now pathetic and disused, was much rebuilt in the early c20 after a fire, burnt in 1876, and used from 1924-58 as Bryant & May's sports club sold to Borough in 1958,. The three-bay front looks early c19: castellated, faced in Roman cement, with canted bay windows; another projecting bay. Plain parts behind, with stables and service wing.
Ray Lodge Within the grounds, now demolished. Built 1796-7,