The London/Essex Boundary - Cranham

The London, Havering/ Essex, Brentwood border goes down the M25
TQ 5877088914

Rural area merging into suburbs along the M25

Post to the north Parker's Shaw
Post to the south Cranham

Sites on the London, Havering, side of the border

Bird Lane
Runs east west from Great Warley Street to Codham Hall.

Sites on the Essex side of the border

Codham Hall Lane
In the Middle Ages a north south road, called the Pilgrims Way passed by here.
Codham Hall Cottages
Codham Hall. First mentioned in 1276 belonged to the Warley Franks estate and was rebuilt in the 19th by Richard Benyon. It is a large building of yellow brick, typical of his work and it would have had a uniform trim of dark red paint. Belongs to the County Council and let into units. In the 1950s hop growing was introduced here, the only Essex site for this.
Hazle Ceramics Workshop
Latchet’s Shaw
Codham Hall Wood
The wood has a snaking boundary bank and a medieval ditch. There are five boundary pollarded trees, and another bank of unknown use.

Folkes Lane
Woodcroft Farm
Woodlands. This was previously arable fields grouped around a steep hill. From its top are vistas south over the River Thames to the North Downs
Folkes Farm the largest farmhouse in Cranham. It was in the manor of Bishop's Ockendon, and called Ffawkys Farm in 1510 after a tenant of c.1463, named Thomas Ffakys or Ffawkys. The roof-line shows how this farmhouse has been extended in several stages, mostly since 1900.
Codham Hall Wood West. The wood contains hornbeam coppice with oak. The ground flora has bramble and bluebell whole wild service-tree can be found on the bank forming the western boundary of the wood
V2 November 1944

Hobbs Hole
Ancient woodland owned by Essex County Council
This includes a massive L-shaped dam, consisting of an earthen bank 200 yards long and 55 ft wide. This was to form a lake of about 2.5 acres just below the junction of the main stream with a small side valley from the east. The valley is asymmetric and the east end of the dam rests against its steeply rising side. It was L-shaped to allow the stream to bypass the lake, when full. The dam has long been breached and it may have been built for a medieval mill or a fish-pond of Great Warley manor-house.

Essex County Council Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex
Victoria History of Essex


Popular posts from this blog

Bromley by Bow

South Norwood

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town