The London/Essex border - Buckhurst Hill

The London/Waltham Forest/Essex boundary comes south east down Monkhams Lane to Farm Way.
TQ 41761 94283

Post to the west Buckhurst Hill
Post to the east Chigwell
Post to the south Roding Valley

Residential area to the south of Loughton.

Sites on the Essex side of the border

Albert Road
Prince of Wales
St.Stephen’s Church. Mission church built as a chapel of ease to St. John's in 1876

Alfred Road
Mission. Built as a Baptist Mission in 1863. Stock brick building used by the Salvation Army

Buckhurst Hill
Bocherst 1135 means 'wooded hill growing with beeches', from Old English and it lies in Essex just to the north of Woodford.

Farm Close
Monkhams Farm in 1839 included 178 acres and was let by James Mills to William Death. It farm survived until 1936, when it was broken up for building. The house was demolished but it stood at the south-west corner of Lords Bushes.

Lords Bushes
Isolated part of Epping Forest secured for the public in 1878. 90 acres.
Steam tram trial held 1873.

Monkham's. names preserving the old name ‘Munckombe’ 1630, ‘Monkham’ 1805, ‘Monkhams’ 1843, earlier ‘Monekenebukhurst’ 1286,’ Monnekenhyll alias Monkhyll 1547’, that is "part of Buckhurst belonging to the monks' and 'hill of the monks', from Middle English, with reference to its early possession by the monks of Stratford Langthome Abbey. Thus, ‘Munckombe’ and ‘Monkham’ represent simply an alteration of the first part of the original names
Monkhams estate, owned by Henry Ford Barclay from 1864-91, was built up with cosy half-timbered houses from 1903; the house was demolished in 1930. The manor of Monkhams was a small estate extending into Chigwell By 1640 the name 'Monkham' was used for some of the woodland between Sakes Lane and the parish boundary, but the original estate probably included land in Buckhurst Hill Monkham Farm was bought by George Brown and Monkham House, leased since 1795 to Mrs. Pearse. Brice Pearse continued to build up the estate and. In 1814 he acquired Monkham Farm various fields near Snakes Lane. About 1820 he bought from John Hall a large mansion and other property which to enabled him to consolidate estate which by 1838 comprised the mansion, renamed Monkham House, Monkham farm-house, the 'old farm-house', and pasture. He died in 1842, (fn. 105) and in 1864 it was sold to Henry Ford Barclay. In 1892, Arnold F. Hills purchased the estate for £36,350, when it consisted of woodland, divided into Knighton wood, Bristow's wood, and Pea Field wood. James Robert Twentyman bought the estate in 1903, and began to sell building plots. Before 1914 the southern part of the estate had been laid out and, after Twentyman's death in 1928, his trustees disposed of the remainder for development. The name Monkhams has been given to an avenue, a drive, and a lane in the area.

Palmerston Road
Langton House
King’s Place Congregational Church

Prince’s Road
54 Three Colts. Carriage way called King’s Place. Old building with gnarled beams, an eccentric layout and plenty of character
9 the former bailiff's house, c. 1845, stock brick in Regency style, with broad sash windows, a canted bay, and a wide door with arched fanlight.
British Queen

Queens Road
Buckhurst Hill Library

Stradbroke Grove,
4 Secluded garden, on a sloping site. . Steps to a pergola, and a rose-screened vegetable and fruit garden. Central gravelled area with grasses, shells, pots and succulents.

Station Way
Buckhurst Hill station. 22nd August 1856. Between Woodford and Loughton on the Central Line. 1856 Opened by the Eastern Counties Railway. The Station house survives. In 1865 it was resited in 1892 the entrance was moved and most of the station dates from this period when it was moved north of Queens Road. In 1940 a new station was opened. In 1948 it became part of the electrified Central Line
Goods Yard closed 1964.

Westbury Lane
Pre 19th lane leading from the 'Bald Faced Stag' to Langford’s
6 cottage-type garden with roses, and perennials. There is a pond, a lawn, winding paths, borders, fruit trees and roses, geraniums and lilies. .

British History. Online Web site
Day. London Underground
St.Stephen's. Web site


Anonymous said…
Westbury Lane - Langford's should be in blue. The (very old)house was demolished at least 50 years ago, but (confusingly) has since been replaced by a development of the same name.
Anonymous said…
Westbury Lane - Langford's should be in blue. The (very old) house was demolished about 50 years ago. It was replaced by a new development which (confusingly) has the same name.
Unknown said…
Fascinating history of the estate.

Popular posts from this blog

Bromley by Bow

South Norwood

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town