Seven Kings Water - Seven Kings

Thames Tributary Seven Kings Water

Seven Kings Water flows south through this area towards the Rover Roding. It is underground and unseen and emerges as Loxford Water

Post to the north Seven Kings
Post to the south Longbridge Road
Post to the east Goodmayes Park
Post to the west Ilford

Green Lane
Ash Grove Pub and Indian restaurant. Post war building

High Road
Ilford Swimming Pool. Built 1929-31 by L.E.J. Reynolds, the Borough Engineer to a design of 1914 by his predecessor Herbert. It is thus Edwardian. Closed 2008 with structural problems.
Cricklefield Stadium behind the baths. Built in 1923 and used by Ilford Football Club and an athletics club.
Cauliflower brick works north of the road in the 19th.
Water tower - the water tower for the Great Eastern Railway’s Eastern Depot can be seen behind the shops. It stands roughly on the site of the Seven Kings Curve on the Great Eastern Railway's Woodford Branch, which opened in 1903 and left the main line here to run north. It was removed when the Ilford Depot was expanded in the late 1950s
533 Cauliflower Pub. Big pub, very tall on a granite plinth with brick above. Lots of stucco decoration.  Engraved glass  inside and at the back an original billiard hall.19th pub used for music events. Said to be haunted.


South Park
South Park. Seven Kings Water remerges here as Loxford Water flowing through it. The Borough acquired the land, which was part of the Loxford Hall Estate for South Park in 1899 and it opened in 1902. It has a long lake with several islands created by diverting water from the stream. There are mature specimen trees including oak, beech, lime and horse chestnut. The site of a bandstand can be seen in the hedging. In 1923 the Clock tower from Ilford Broadway was re-erected here, but destroyed by Second World War bombing.

Seven Kings Road
Methodist Church. Built in 1904-5 by George Bairns & Son and enlarged since. It has a Tower with a shingled spire. It began in 1903 as part of the United Methodist Free Church, a leading member of which was A. E. Williams, secretary and biographer of Dr. Barnardo. Outside is an avenue of specimen trees

Water Lane
South Park Chapel. Evangelical church
South Park Junior and Infants Schools. South Park council school was opened in 1907 as Ilford Urban Elementary School and a plaque commemorating this is displayed. Between 1927 and 1930 it was used for a temporary selective central school but reverted to elementary status in 1931.


Popular posts from this blog

Bromley by Bow

South Norwood

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town