Thames Tributary Loxford Water
Loxford Water flows south west towards the River Roding
Post to the east Longbridge Road
Post to the west Little Ilford
Post to the south Central Barking
Post to the north Ilford
The park was opened in 1898 and contains many mature trees which include beech, ash, holly and yew, plane, lime, poplar, sycamore and false acacia. Spotted flycatchers breed here and nest in holes in trees. The Park had a bandstand
The longstanding park cafe was demolished and a roller-skating park built on the site.
Lake. The lake was formed by damming Loxford water and there are three small islands where ducks, moorhens and coots nest. It is used for boating starting with rowing boats and later motor boats and a paddle steamer called "Phoenix II" which continued to until 1967. The south bank has a vertical concrete wall, with a broad walkway but the north bank is natural in places, with willows, and nettles reaching the water edge. There are sticklebacks along with frogs and toads.
Barking Park swimming pool. Thus opened in the 1930s consisting of a large pool, sun terrace and a pair of fountains, with cubicles and service buildings. Designed by Mr R A Lay, Council Surveyor & Engineer. It closed in the 1980s but work is ongoing to reopen it as an enclosed wet play area
Muslim Ilford Community Centre in the gym of what was Loxford County Secondary School.
Loxford Council School was originally opened by the school board, in 1904. In 1931 it became a Central School for boys and later a mixed comprehensive.
St Mary & St Erconwald Roman Catholic church built in 1971-2 by Buries, Newton & Partners. A low, red brick, industrial-looking building with large brick cross built into the wall facing main road. It had originally opened in 1953 in an iron building previously used as the Emmanuel Congregational church.
The name is first recorded 1319 and probably means the 'ford of a man called Locc'. It was a medieval manor, belonging to Barking Abbey and which eventually passed to Smart Lethieullier In the 18th and farmed. The modern houses laid out in a grid pattern on the site is the Loxford Hall Estate developed from 1897 by Sir Peter Griggs, a local contractor.
Loxford Hall was a mediaeval house still standing by the stream in the 1880w. In 1830 it had been rebuilt as a bailiff's house and later the farm the tenant, Walter Mills, bought it and farmed there until the 1920s. It was demolished in 1945 and pre-fabricated council houses built on the site.
Loxford Water – this is a separate channel, parallel to the park lake and forms Redbridge Barking boundary.
Woodlands Infants School. Thus was originally a department of Loxford council school, and was opened in 1931.
Newbridge School. Loxford Lane Campus. Special school. It was previously Hyleford School
Loxford Youth Centre
Loxford Park. Made up from the grounds of the Loxford Hall Estate, bought in 1899 by Ilford Urban District Council for a public recreation ground. The park has playing fields, a cherry lined avenue, tennis courts and the bowling green surrounded by roses. There is a sunken rose garden created in 1940 and used as a sake park
Loxford School of Science and Technology. Loxford School moved to this site in 1972 and a new school has been built in 2011.
Loxford Hall. Built in 1830 in brick by Sir Charles Hulse and later enlarged. In the Second World War it was used by the War Department, and since 1949 has been an Essex County Council child guidance clinic and now used as a child centre for the North East London Mental Health Trust. .
Durga Mandir. This moved here in the mid 1990s having been set up in the 1970s