Thames Tributary Loxford Water - Longbridge Road

Thames Tributary Loxford Water

Loxford Water flows south towards the River Roding.

Post to the north Seven Kings
Post to the west Loxford
Post to the east Mayesbrook Park

Cavendish Gardens
Upney Baptist Church. Built in 1934 on a donated site which had been designated for housing. It was progressively expanded with a Sunday school and other buildings.

Longbridge Road,
Line of old road- in part called Smallwell Lane. The Longbridge itself was the crossing of the Mayesbrook.
Barking bus garage built in the 1920s and later enlarged. It is Neo-Georgian with an extension of 1958 by M. Maybury, Borough Architect, and spanned by 70-ft wide pre-cast concrete bowstring trusses. It operated the last RTs up to 1979. Now owned by Stagecoach
219 Drill Hall, used by an air cadet corps
Barking Abbey School. This was founded in 1922 as the first co-educational grammar school in England. In 1970, it merged with Park Modern School to form the present school. It is on 2 sites and years 7 and 8 are at Longbridge Road.
Royal Oak. 19th pub
Fair Cross. Probably means 'beautiful cross’. Perhaps a reference to a wayside crucifix at the early crossroads here though it could refer to a fair.

South Park Drive
Loxford Social Club
Knox Playing Field


Popular posts from this blog

Bromley by Bow

South Norwood

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town