Thames Tributary Mayesbrook - Chadwell Heath

Thames Tributary Mayesbrook
The Mayesbrook picks up small tributaries and flows south, largely hidden and unseen

TQ 47717 88602

Suburban area with a large park, some industry - but sites being turned to housing.

Post to the north Marks Gate
Post to the west Goodmayes Hospital
Post to the south Chadwell Heath

Bishop’s Avenue
St Bede RC church. Built1963 by Purcell & Johnson. A Hexagonal, brick church,
Church hall – was opened as the church in 1935

Chadwell Heath Lane
West view cottages, late 19th
Aenon chapel built in 1860
Grove Primary School
OES House. Office furniture factory

Gresham Drive
Chadwell Heath School – extended into day centre
Chadwell Centre – day centre now closed. It is said the old hospital pumping station was used as a club and presumably this was it

Grove Road
Marjorie Collins Centre. Multiple Sclerosis Society day care centre
New housing on of site of Wiggins Teape factory. some factory buildings remain
New Housing on the site of the Morganite Special Carbons factory. This had originally been the Ship Carbon Company

Japan Road
Infants’ school 1882 enlarged 1897 and 1907. Opened in 1883 as the Chadwell Heath infants’ board school. It became the St. Chad's county infants' school. Closed and went into other use

St. Chad’s Park
Mayes Brook on the northern boundary is culverted.
Incorporates some heathland from Chadwell Heath. It is the oldest park in the Borough and dates from 1831 when the Crown gave 4 acres of heath to the poor for allotments. The rest was enclosed in 1866 and farmland added in 1928. It is Very formal with an avenue of London planes.

SourcesBrennand. Ilford to Shenfield
Bygone Dagenham and Rainham
Essex Journal, Web site
London Borough of Havering. Web site
London Borough of Redbridge. Web site
Nature Conservation in Barking and Dagenam
Victoria County History. Essex
Nature Conservation in Redbridge


Popular posts from this blog

Bromley by Bow

South Norwood

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town