Perfect Detail – family firm established in the 1950s for Car Detailing Products.
Bridge over the Bourne
Bois Hall Road
This is part of the Bois Hall Estate
Bois Hall. This ‘big’ house appears to have been built in the 1880s or early 1890s. It had ten bedrooms, and an associated small farm. It appears to have been demolished around 1936 and the current estate of houses built on the site.
This road runs from near the Bourne to the banks of the Mill Pond and eventually to Coxes Lock Mill (which is in the square to the east)
A318. A short stretch of main road running parallel to the M25
Duke’s Head Pub. This was built at the new crossroads at what is now Station Road and Brighton Road after enclosure of Chertsey Beomonds manor. It was built in 1815 by John Drewett, Inn keeper of Chertsey and named for the Duke of York – the first licensee had been a groom to Frederick, Duke of York. It included a billiard room which opened onto a bowling green. It became the main residential hotel in the town. It has now been demolished and replaced by flats.
Crouch Oak Lane
This road was once longer and extended to join Chertsey Road.
The Crouch Oak. This is one of Britain's oldest trees and may have been an indication of the Windsor Forest boundarys. It is a gnarled and hollow tree more than 24 ft round, to which various ages have been given. It was once called Wycliffe's Oak - after the medieval scholar reputed to have preached here – and Spurgeon preached here in 1872. Analysis of a branch indicated a formation date for the branch as 1670. It is said that the bark boiled down was a love potion.
Millennium Oak. In 2000 a young oak was planted near the Crouch Oak.
Princess Mary’s Village Homes for Little Girls. These were on the east side of the road. Only the iron gates cast by Herring & Son of Chertsey are left as a reminder of this "refuge for daughters of convict mothers, girls from destitute families or otherwise in need of protection". It was named after Queen Mary's mother, the Duchess of Teck. It was founded by two philanthropists - Susanna Meredith and Caroline Cavendish, They were first concerned with the welfare of female prisoners, but decided to offer care for the children of prisoners. These were some of the first cottage homes to be set up- a small village of cottages each looked after by a house mother. There were at first six cottages and later a schoolhouse, the Shaftesbury Wing, the infants' schoolroom, an infirmary, a chapel and staff accommodation. Training was provided for girls being sent out into service and they also worked in the laundry. There was also a holiday home for girls who wanted to return after they had left. It was initially an industrial school but in 1933, became an approved school. It closed in 1980.
Baptist Church. The first Baptist church was built here in 1840 to replace an earlier one in Prairie Road from 1812. This building dates from 1872 with a foundation stone laid by Spurgeon.
Old Fire station. Red brick building with a plaque dated to 1890. It was apparently for Surrey Fire Brigade and said to be open until 1962. It is said to have had a chimney and a bell tower but these are not now apparent, and it is in office use..
Trading estate – there is a small trading estate behind the Old Fire Station building.
BRIMIC Engineering., This is a father and son team, established in 1973 undertaking a range of metal fabrications, largely architectural ironwork.
P & J Metal Works. Sheet metal contractors.
Dashwood Lang Road
Dashwood Lang. Arthur Dashwood Lang developed propellers which were made locally in Weybridge.
Bourne Business Park. New trading area on site of earlier industry. There are new large buildings on site plus parking landscaping. This includes Ocean House.
Addlestone Linoleum Company. They made linoleum of various sorts but seem to be mainly famous for the legal precedents engendered when they closed.
Sunbury Leather Company. They used buildings erected by the Addlestone Linoleum Company in the late 1870s. In 1904, they made fancy leather goods and are listed as ‘manufacturers of hides, Moroccos, roans, pigskins, skivers etc’. They closed in 1946. They may have made parts for Vickers during the Second World War.
Darts factory – described as a shed that had mass-produced darts for the N.A.A.F.I.
Taylor and Penton, This is a subsidiary of the John Lewis Partnership. They took over the site in 1946 and began to make bedding; one man and two boys were employed in making wooden divan frames. This expanded to other sites and specially designed modern workshops were erected making Jonelle furniture for John Lewis, in the 1960s more factories were built which were part of the complex of works erected by Taylor and Penton for John Lewis Partnership making Jonelle furniture.
Addlestone Community Centre. The Addlestone Community Association was formed in 1948 and the Community Centre in Station Road was opened in 1968, it was replaced by the current Centre in Garfield Road in 2005.
Police Divisional HQ by the County Architects. This has now been demolished and replaced with housing.
Darley Dene Primary Schools . This was a County School opened in 1966. It was an infant school but has recently become a primary school. There is a nursery class, a reception class and an infant Specialist Centre for children with speech and communication difficulties.
Darley Dene Court. Care home, built 1987
Darley Dene House. The house was on site before the school
Surrey Towers. Built 1962-8 for Chertsey Urban District Council. 17 stories, likely to be demolished.
New Haw Road
Crockford Bridge. This bridge crosses The Bourne, and was renewed in 1925 by Surrey County Council.. This involved demolition of the older bridge and straightening the approaches. The current bridge is in reinforced concrete with brick facing and brick parapet walls.
Crockford Bridge Farm. the farm includes 400-year-old buildings and the Granary. A 17th Dutch gable here was demolished during the Second World War II. There is an 18th granary in red brick. Until 1900 it was known as Pyle's Farm. Big farm shop and garden centre now on site.
86 Black Horse. This pub closed in 2015.
21 Churchill House. This now stands on the site of The Railway Arms pub which opened in the 1850's , It was locally called The Magnet by 1870. the pub sign was a horseshoe shaped magnet which was replaced by a picture of Billy Bunter from The Magnet comic. In the 1990's the name changed to The Station House, with a sign which showed a steam train. This closed and the building was demolished. The site is now flats.
54 Railway Inn Pub. This has now been demolished..
63 Pandrol. This is the head office of the multi-national dealing with railway track systems.
111 Woburn Park Hotel. This pub was demolished in 1993 and replaced by flats.
The Eileen Tozer Day Centre. For older people.
138 Crouch Oak pub. This is actually a hotel with bedrooms and restaurant.
Village Hall. This was built in 1887 by the Village Hall Company. Films were shown here from 1910. It closed in 1918.
Plaza Cinema. This opened as the Cinema Royal in 191 7 apparently on the site of the Village Hall. In the mid-1920’s it was re-named Arcadia Cinema. Later, doperated by Southern Cinemas Ltd. it was re-named Plaza in 1933. It closed in the mid-1950s.
Addlestone Methodists Church. The current church was opened in 1899 by Rev C H Keely, and replaced one built in 1885 in Simplemarsh Road.By 1906 a corrugated iron building was built for the Sunday School but which remained as the Church Hall until 1982. In the early 1970s the pipe organ was removed and replaced by an electronic one amd other internal arrangements were changed.
Rose Coffee Tavern. This dated from around 1882 and was also called Addlestone Coffee Tavern and the Temperance Hotel.
Gleeson Mews. This is the site of the Addlestone Bus Station. In 1930, London Transport Green Line coaches had parked at Weymann's coachworks in and in 1932 moved to a shed in Hamm Lane. Addlestone was the centre of a number of routes which had been taken over from the Woking and District Co, in 1931 A new Country Bus garage was erected in 1936 to ~Wallis Gilbert designs with single storey office blocks on each side of the road to the running shed which was set back from the road. Facing the road the wall had a curved and glazed elevation surmounted by the bullseye motif on poles above them, . The shed could house 43 vehicles. The garage operated until 1997. The Cobham Bus Museum collected the LONDON COUNTRY lettering from the side of the building. Part of the boundary wall by the Crouch Oak Pub car park.
Civic Centre. The offices of what was then Chertsey Council were built in 1962. The back part was on stilts and there was a landscaped garden. This has been replaced with a building which combunbes a range of services under one roof - the local council, police and a public library.
Community Centre 1967. This has now been replaced by the centre in Garfield Street
Tesco – the site was previously used by the Co-op. A large bakery shown to the rear may perhaps have been theirs.l
Level Crossing, Public Highway Manned Barriers CCTV Monitored
Addlestone Station. This was built in 1848 and lies between Weybridge and also Byfleet and New Haw and Chertsey on South Western Trains. There was once a number of sidings on the down side with cattle pens, coal yards and so on
Also called Windle Brook and Hale Bourne. It partly defines the area in which Woking lies. It runs north south through this area to the east of the main part of the town.
Addlestone Community Association. Web site.
Addlestone Historical Society. Web site
Chertsey Museum. Web site
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Crouch Oak Pub. Web site
Exploring Surrey’s Past. Web site.
Glazier. London Transport Garages
Orphanages, Web site
Pandrol. Web site
Parker. North Surrey
Perfect Detail. Web site
Pub History. Web site
Runneymede Council. Web site
SABRE. Web site
Surrey’s Industrial Archaeology