River Colne, Duke of Northumberland's River. Harmondsworth
The Duke of Northumberland’s River and the River Colne flow southwards
Post to the north West Drayton
Post to the west Harmondsworth
Post to the south Longford
Built in the gardens of Acacia House
The Lane now meets and becomes Tarmac Way. The old course of the road, Old Accommodation Lane, is a footpath to the west.
London Hong Kong Restaurant. This is a former four storey office building. The restaurant chain originated in central London.
Cambridge House stood in this area until after the Second World War
Opened in 1929.
British Telecom Computer Centre. Four storey data centre building plus workshop for BT vehicles. Dates from 1984
Harmondsworth Immigration Removal Centre. Opened in 2004. It is modelled on a high security, Category B criminal prison with wings running into a central area.
Sheraton Heathrow. American hotel chain.
Road Research Laboratory. Opened here in 1930 as Road Experimental Station. In 1933 it was taken over by the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research. It was here that a scale model of the Moehne Dam was built to test the bouncing bomb theory. In 1965 it returned to the Ministry of Transport and in 1966 the laboratory moved to Crowthorne
Footpath from High Street to West Drayton
This track going north to West Drayton crossing the M4 motorway is an ancient route alongside which have been found evidence of Saxon huts.
The village is recorded as ‘Hennondesyeord’ in a 14th copy of an Anglo-Saxon charter - that is ‘the fenced settlement of a man called Heremund’. The Domesday Book records Vineyards here. In 1069 William the Conqueror gave the Manor to the Benedictine Abbey of the Holy Trinity in Rouen. They established a cell here in 1211 which was perhaps two priests living in an ordinary house. There was thus a history of unpopular absentee Lords of the Manor and in 1281 some of their buildings were burnt down. In 1391 the manor passed to Winchester College who commissioned a manor house
Manor farm house. Early 19th building. The rear part seems older.
Stables. Converted to offices. They remain as they were but a new block has been added
Granary. Moved here from elsewhere. Weather boarded and on steddle stones.
St Mary's Church. The church was rebuilt by the Benedictines and the oldest parts date from the 12th. It has flint walls with stone dressings. There is evidence of Norman work and a Saxon sundial on the wall. The Chancel re-built by Winchester College in 1396-8. There is a 15th hammer beam roof over chapel. The upper stories and battlements of the tower are 16th topped by an open 18th cupola. Old box pews and a font of circa 1200. It was not ‘restored’ in the 19th and thus retains authenticity.
Churchyard. In the churchyard is the tomb of Richard Cox who perfected the first Cox's Orange Pippin.
Burial ground. This lies beyond the churchyard. The modest Victorian tombs of the churchyard have been annexed to a field of rows of marble slabs
Barn. This was commissioned by Winchester College for the manor farm and its date confirmed by dendrochronology. it was completed in 1427 as the last of a series of barns built on the site and it is the second longest such barn in England it is of 12 bays and is some 190 feet long by 36 feet wide by 36 feet high It is thus probably on older foundations. It is built of tree trunk pillars using no iron nails. In 1975 it was attacked by fire. Inside, the main posts are carried on square Reigate stone blocks linked by low sleeper walls and the end walls rest on stone foundations consisting of large blocks of the local pebbly ferricrete – puddingstone. The roof construction is unusual in that it is double framed, with purlins to provide lateral strength. Following a fire and near dereliction it has been saved by English Heritage.
Baptist Chapel. Built 1884 replacing a building which was burnt down.
Five Bells. Timber framed building of about 1600 but which looks later. It faces the Church
Crown. This Pub has been much renovated and is older than it looks. It was originally a row of cottages converted Public House. It is 18th or even 17th
K6 Telephone Box
Radleys Garage Now gone.
Pillar-box 19th. This is outside The Gables Store.
Sun House. 16th building which was once a pub. It is timber framed with a colour washed brick facade.
Vicarage and Tower House. Built in 1845.
Stables. Next to Howcroft.
New Vicarage. House which fits in with the older village.
Mintstead. Brick house with tile hanging.
Village Stores. 1930s brick and an oversized sign jars.
The Forge. Single storey building with a 19th house.
The Gable Stores. 19th building with painted brick walls
Gate posts and railings which belonged to Cambridge House
Acacia Lodge. The main house is dated at 1725. Modern housing in the grounds.
Greenwoods. On the site of the Baptist Church Hall
Howcroft. Part of the building timber framed, possibly 16th
Home farm. 19th barns and other farm buildings
Old School House. Converted into housing. This was Harmondsworth National School built in 1846 by public subscription. With the formation of a School Board a year later it became Harmondsworth Board School. It closed when the new school was built in 1907 and went into commercial use.
Garden walls of Harmondsworth Hall
Scotchlake Farm. Various trading units and scrap
Bridge over the Duke of Northumberland’s River with fancy stone coping
Home Farm. ‘Pig City’
Harmondsworth Primary School. The present school was completed in 1975 in the grounds of the previous school building
Harmondsworth and Longford Community Centre. This was a school built in in 1907 and is now used as a village Community Centre. Harmondsworth National School was built in 1846. The school, stood slightly south of Moor Lane. By the end of the 19th century this was known as Harmondsworth Board School. New buildings were erected here in 1906-7 by the local authority, when it was called a mixed county primary school.
Saxon Way Trading Centre
Heathrow Summit Centre. This consisted of six units around a courtyard with a common loading area at the centre. An access road runs through the middle
Trading and industrial units
British Airways HQ. Waterside. British Airways originally intended to build "Prospect Park" on Harmondsworth Moor but a later plan promised that green space would be conserved. Work began on a derelict site in 1995. The building was opened from late 1997 and May 1998 and the public park opened in 1998. The architects were Niels Torp with Engineers Cundall, and Buro Happold. The building has six sections backing onto a glazed atrium each section representing a continent served by British Airways with appropriately themed trees. There is a health centre, hairdressing and beauty salon, travel centre, supermarket, bank, restaurants and cafés and a 400-seater auditorium. In the offices it is all hot desking. British Airways consolidated several offices here and there are about 4000 employees
Swan Lake. Landscaped lake at the back of the British Airways complex
1 Depot. Brick building with white painted doors.
Harmondsworth Hall. 17th house with 18th chimney and front. In the 20th became a hotel. It also has impressive gardens walls.
The Grange now called Harvard House. It is dignified and late 17rth. Inside there is restored staircase with symmetrical balusters a conservatory at the back.
Field. London place names,
London Borough of Hillingdon. Web site
London Government. Web site
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex
McKean and Jestico. Architecture
National Archive. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. London North West,
Sherwood. Harlington and Harmondsworth
The Kingston Zodiac
Walford .Village London
Waterside. Wikipedia web site