Duke of Northumberland’s River flows north eastwards
Post to the north Hatton
Post to the west Hatton Road
Post to the east Baber Bridge
Post to the south Feltham
Dukes Green Avenue
2-3 Courts for the Asylum and Immigration Service Tribunals.
Harlington Road West
Feltham Lodge. In use by Age Concern. This is a replacement for the original Lodge which was built between 1754 and 1800 for John Cole Steele. That building was demolished and the present lodge built in the late 1880s.
The Calen Centre. Disabled Living Centre in what was the Coach House. The building dates from around 1800.
Hatton Urban Farm. Created in 1990 on the site of the old Borough parks’ nursery. London’s largest community farm with an approved rare breeds farm.
Hatton Nursery. The Lodge remains in use by the Urban Farm. This was a local authority site.
101 Fire Station. This was built in 1961 to a Middlesex County Council design. The site is shared with training provider, Babcock
Ambulance Station. On the same site as the fire station
Transmitter – accessed by a footpath. This provided VHF services to Heathrow Airport.
National Maritime Institute. In 1966 the Ministry of Technology took acquired responsibility for the shipbuilding function from the Board of Trade. When the Department of Trade and Industry was established in 1970, it moved there plus the National Physical Laboratory research establishment at Teddington. In July 1976, NPL's maritime responsibilities were transferred to the newly created National Maritime Institute at Feltham. The ship model testing section functions were moved here. These included No. 3 tank 400 metres long with a wave maker and No. 7 tank out of doors, and used for shallow water experiments. There were two water tunnels and a circulating water channel. The Institute was privatised by Thatcher in 1983 and in 1985 became BMT formed from the merger with the UK's British Ship Research Association. The Feltham site was subsequently sold and buildings and newish tanks demolished. There is now a Tesco on much of the site.
Faggs Bridge. over the Duke of Northumberland’s River
Art deco installation on the north east corner of the junction with Staines Road is the preserved entrance to the Minimax factory which stood here. This firm started in England in 1903 in Leadenhall Street London became known their conical extinguisher, ‘The Minimax’. In 1911 they built a factory which was demolished sometime in the 1980′s. they were taken over by Pyrene and then by Chubb & Sons in 1967. Low walls around the site also remain.
Spelthorne Sanatorium. Opened 1878 as a refuge for women “who have fallen into habits of intemperance." It took about twenty "patients,” who undertook laundry and needlework. It appears to have taken over the buildings of the industrial school in due course.
Industrial School. This appears to be the original of the Middlesex County Industrial School in 1854 and which eventually became a Borstal in 1910 on a site in Bedfont Road.
North Feltham Trading EstateThe estate is part of SEGRO (used to be Slough Estates) and is their largest estate in the Heathrow area. The site was at one time a sand and gravel works. Bedfont powder mills lay to the south on the Duke of Northumberland’s River but some old maps show works lying between the end of Green Man Lane (to the north of this square) and the works site to the south. To the south of the site and adjacent to the Duke of Northumberland’s River a large oblong reservoir is shown which appears to be associated with works to the east of this square. The Trading Estate is now dominated by industries supporting Heathrow Airport.
Merton Engineering. They made tractor shovels and excavators. In 1921 they were Merton Sand and Gravel Pits Ltd and changed tehir name to Merton Engineering and then to North Feltham Engineering (Merton) Ltd. They closed in 1985
Space Waye is Hounslow’s re-use and recycling centre for the disposal of public and trade waste.
At the eastern end of the stretch of this road some houses in the terrace appear to match those which were on site in the 19th and were associated with the Spelthorne Sanitorium and Industrial School.
Garage on the site of the Old Black Dog Pub which dated from at least the mid-18th. It could have been known as The Talbot previously. The old pub was replaced by a modern building in 1968. This replacement pub was demolished in the 1990s and the garage built. This was a Watney house.
Griffin Centre. Trading estate
Holmwood early 19th house, now a unit in the trading estate.
Crown and Sceptre Pub. A pub on this site dates back to at least the 19th. Closed by the police in 2006. The site is now a supermarket.
BMT Ltd. Web site
Hatton Urban Farm. Web site
Gunpowder Mills Study Group Newsletter (which discusses the existence of detailed plans for the gunpowder works on these sites but gives no site plans by which the northern sites on this square can be identified)
London Fire Brigade. Web site
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex
National Archives. Web site.
Pevsner and Cherry. London North West
Postcards then and now. Web site
SEGRO. web site.