County Ditch - Lammas Lands
County Ditch flows southwards and into the Thames
This posting covers sites to the north of the river only. South of the river is Egham Hythe
Post to the north Yeoveney
Post to the east Staines and Egham/Staines The Hythe
Post to the west Egham
The island is also known as Church Eyot. It has houses on it and is connected by a privately owned footbridge to Church Street. It is near to St.Mary’s parish church, hence the name. There was until the 1950s a chain ferry to the island from the riverside path allegedly used by the Ashby Brewery.
Queensmead Lake is owned by the water supplier (currently Affinity) and is used for fishing by their staff. The area has been flooded since the 1970s.
Ashby Recreation Ground or Lammas Recreation Ground. The park is named after the wealthy 18th family of brewers and bankers. They enclosed this area of common - Lammas land – in 1885. It was later given back to the people of Staines to be used for recreation. It is popularly known by its more ancient name of the 'Lammas' Anglo-Saxon 'loaf- mass’. On these fields grain was once harvested, to be baked into a loaf to be dedicated at the church on August 1st. Its current facilities include: mini golf, mini train, playground, skate park, spray ground and tennis. There are also sports facilities used by local clubs
Swimming pool- this was sited near the river
London Stone. The stone on display is a replica and the original is now in Staines library. The stone marks the most westerly point on the River Thames over which the City of London had jurisdiction and had had since the 12th. It was originally sited behind the Town Hall where a replica now stands. An inscription on the stone reads: 'God preserve ye citty of London AD 1285' . The ceremony of visits by the Lord Mayor visits ended in 1857 when the city lost control of the river to the Thames Conservancy.
British History. On line. Web site
Butterfield. They Walked this way
Church Island. Wikipedia. Web site
Spelthorne Council. Web site