River Pinn Harrow Weald
The Pinn flows south westwards
Post to the north Grimsdyke
Post to the west Hatch End
Bannister Playing Fields
Named for runner Roger Bannister and owned by Harrow Council
Bannister Stadium. The track was originally cinder and opened in 1967 and was subsequently improved. The track is commonly known as Bannister Stadium. Leisure Connection took it over from the council in 2002 and upgrading it to 8 lanes
Harrow Weald Recreation Ground. The land for this was donated to the parish in 1895 by Thomas Blackwell JP and was extended in 1937 when Harrow Council purchased the lodge and garden of Belmont, following the death of Charles James Ward. Blackwell's donation of 15 acres for the recreation ground in 1895 was made in recognition of the loss of common rights by local people through the Enclosure Act. Charles James Ward, lived at Belmont in Boxtree Lane, and bequeathed his house and garden for a convalescent home for sick children, which proved impractical. Near Blackwell Close and Boxtree Lane entrances are raised beds with seating and formal planting.
Cedars Youth and Community Centre
Harrow Weald Park
William Windale bought a piece of Harrow Weald Common from the Enclosure Commissioners in 1805 and built Harrow Weald Park. It later became the home of Henry Crockford, of the St James Street gambling club. A subsequent owner enlarged the house, planted trees and built a lake. A large number of specimen trees remain. In the 1932 it passed to the British Israel World Federation and used as a college. It subsequently passed to Harrow Council and the site is used for sheltered housing.
Here and in surrounding roads are BISG houses. These are British steel framed houses, designed and produced by the British Iron and Steel Federation, and erected around the country from 1945. It sponsored a solution for a permanent steel framed housing to a MoW conforming design by architect Sir Frederick Gibberd
The Cedars. Park.
The Cedars. The Cedars was known s as Clock House and stood in the north west corner of the current public park until at the 1950. It was inherited by the wife of local land owner Thomas Blackwell, who started the preserved food business, Crosse and Blackwell. The Blackwells improved the estate and planted woodland with exotic trees and shrubs including maples, pines, Portugal and cherry laurels, rhododendron, Chinese privet and bamboo. there was a sundial that commemorated a visit by Sir Walter Scott in 1806. It was used as an Air Force Group HQ in the Second World war and later demolished
Entrance with stone gate piers, wrought iron gates and curved flanking railings
Milestone 18th opposite The Cedars park.
The former mid 19th stables of Harrow Weald Park are now private housing
Bannister Stadium. Web site
Harrow Council. Web site
London Gardens Online. Web site
Walford. Village London