River Pinn Pinner Cuckoo Hill
The Pinn flows north and southwestwards
Post to the south Eastcote
Post to the east Pinner
Post to the west Eastcote Joel Street
Site of Camden Cottage, later a house called Northwold
Ash Hill Drive
Grim’s Ditch is said to go through the site of Tesco although this has since been discounted.
Site of Cuckoo Hill Football Ground used by Pinner Football Club until 1957 and acquired for redevelopment by the local authority shortly after that.
This is a walk route down the River Pinn from Pinner Station to the Grand Union Canal.
This was once called Bakers Lane, but Chapel Lane from the mid-19th and the building of the Methodist Chapel.
Methodist Chapel. In the early 19th two wooden cottages were used for services and in 1844 a new chapel was built. The building of the Metropolitan railway caused damage to the building and the chimney crashed onto the chapel so it became unusable. In 1918 a new school chapel was built using material salvaged from the old chapel which was finally demolished in 1939.
Baptist – and Iron Chapel was established here in 1859. This was demolished for the railway in the 1880s
Workhouse. This was built in 1785 and may have been a conversion of some almshouses. It was on the bank of the Pinn and at the back of the George in Marsh Lane. In 1834 Pinner became part of the Hendon Union and the workhouse was converted to housing. It was demolished in the 1880s for the railway
Chapel Lane Chambers. Conversion of cottages built in the 1840s and the only survivors of a group.
Entrance to the memorial park has a plaque erected in 1995 to commemorate the 'donation of the park by the people of Pinner in memory of those who gave their lives in war'.
Long Meadow open space where cows used to graze. Poplar trees called Hinman Copse named after Margaret Hinman who was a benefactor to Eastcote during the 1940 and 1950s.
This formed the boundary of Ruislip Common. It is said that this was once called Mistletoe Hill – and indicated a route to a mill at Pinner Green. In 1827 the top of the hill was flattened to allow an easier climb.
Woodman’s Nursery was on the area now covered by Nursery Road. They had started as a corn chandler business and grown to have several shops and a reputation beyond Pinner itself.
Cuckoo Farm. 17th. distinctly grand. This is first noted in 1565 and part of the Eastcote House Estate. Sold to Standard Estates for building in 1930
Little Mead and The Penthouse – this was originally Eastcote Point. Red brick house built 1898 for Cllr Edmund Bluhm, then living at Horn End Farm.
The Glen. British Institute of Sathya Sai Education in Human Values Trust
Mistletoe Farmhouse. 16th farmhouse and once the focus of a small hamlet built up in 1847 called Popes End. There are said to be some millstones in the path to the house.
The Cottage and Spindle Cottage. 1920s houses in an Arts and Crafts style.
Popes End is the crossroads with High Road and Cheney Street
Cuckoo Hill Road
Part of the Metropolitan Railway development as the Cuckoo Hill Estate. Built by W.Telling 1931, with streets planted with flowering trees
This was an area with 19th cottages demolished in the 1950s. The Dickson family were 19th owners of West House. The land here belongs to the Pinner War Memorial Fund
Elm Park Road
Earlier this was known as Wood Lane and Common Road.
Dear’s Farm. It had previously been Henry’s house and may have been used by 17th Quakers. Demolished for road widening in 1935 and replaced by the Langham Cinema.
Langham Cinema. This opened in 1936, by the Pinner Cinema Co. Ltd, but immediately sold to Associated British Cinemas (ABC). It was designed by T.C. Ovenston of Emden & Egan Co. The front had white terra-cotta tiles, with a green tiled roof. In 1963 it was re-named ABC and modernised by C.J. Foster in 1967. In 1977 it was re-named Mayfair Cinema but closed in 1979. It was then taken over by the Shipman and King Circuit re-named Langham Cinema. It closed again in 1981. The building was demolished in 1982, and replaced with a supermarket with a gym on the first floor.
13 Tudor Cottage. Built in 1921 by Ernest Trowridge, a twin-gabled house with his unmistakable eccentric details. It is clad in rough sawn elm boards and tile hanging, with brown brick to lower walls and stacks. One side of the front is clad in untrimmed elm boarding,
Elm Park Court. Built in 1936 by H.F. Webb, a lavish layout of flats, with green-tiled roofs, white walls, approached through a large semicircular archway of apartment blocks - with modern equipment and tennis courts. Three blocks of flats linked by arched openings, of different shapes and sizes. Entrance arch which gives a colonial character of the development, whilst mirroring the openings between each block. A style of building in the mid-1930s deemed appropriate for private flats intended for a middle-class community aping a Hollywood lifestyle.
Christian Science Church. A Sunday school and reading room were erected here in 1926 and was recognized as a branch of the First Church of Christ, Scientist, in 1929. The church was built and registered in 1937
Red Cottage. This has an Arts and Crafts style and is said to be a model of the famous Morris’s Red House
6 Bethesda Chapel
1 & 22-24 are by R. J. Lindsay, 1937.
This public park was developed in the 1960s and is a remnant of the common that used to stretch across the area. There is a semi-circular entranceway from Elm Park Road with ornamental gates
Covers the area of Woodman’s Nursery in Cuckoo Hill
Pinner Memorial Gardens
The public park was formed from the grounds of West House. In 1934 the grounds were acquired by Harrow UDC for public open space. It was first called Bennett's Park after Councillor Bennett, who had left it to the Council. Another piece of land was added in 1949 after a campaign for a memorial to local war dead. The park opened in 1950. From the earlier landscape are belts of Corsican pine north and south plus the lake and the walled garden. The lake was there by 1864 and a fountain was installed in 1985. The walled garden is now a Peace Garden with heathers, rose beds and clematis.
Aviary of budgerigars.
Community centre and village hall dating from the 1980s/90s are the east part of the park.
Dog cemetery dating from the 19th
2 Oddfellows Pub. Named after Thomas Ellement, who founded the Pinner branch of the Oddfellows Society in 1848 and this development was partly funded by them.
3 Orchard Cottage 17th Plastered and timbered building with first floor overhung and 18th brick building on the north.
4-13 Unity Place built in 1853 on a plot created by the Harrow Enclosure Act.
18- 20a house added to a timber framed farm behind and then let separately from the farm
18a Manor House. 16th timber framed cottage but burnt in 19th and rebuilt. No Manor is associated with this and the name must be fanciful. The fact that it does not front onto Waxwell Lane suggests that it was built before road frontages were defined.
18a Manor Cottage, 16th timber framed cottage
Waxwell Cottage, 16th timber framed cottage
27 Oak Cottage. A development of Thomas Ellment
31 included an Oddfellows Lodge room. Converted into a house in the early 1990s after a second storey had been added. The house had also previously been used as a school. A plaque on the wall gives some of the background.
33-35 these were investments for the local Oddfellows Society, as 1-2 Manchester Villas, to provide future funds. . A development of Thomas Ellment
36-40 buildings from the 1950s on part of the garden area of the Manor house group bought by William Goldsmith in the 19th subdivided and sold
Fire Station. Demolished. This was originally in an old coach house next to 3 Orchard Cottage but seems to have been rebuilt on the same site.
Westbury Lodge Close
Built on the site of Westbury Lodge which was on the corner of Chapel Lane and West End Lane. It had show place garden
West End Lane
90 Sweetman`s Hall. The best local house - an attractive, long c17 storeyed range with a lower wing at the end. Smoke bay. Timber frame is intact on the upper storey and roof. Restored 2008 with sustainable features.
West House. What remains is the 19th yellow brick service wings of the former manor house. The memorial park was formed from the grounds of the house. This had been Aldryches in the middle ages and that remained as its ‘proper’ name. The original house was built in 1747 – Thomas Bowler who owned it in 1812 was hanged and it was later altered by John Taniere, owner from 1814 who turned it into a gentleman’s residence. When the railway line was built in 1885 a tree screen was planted to hide it. From 1873-1883 Nelson’s grandson Nelson Ward lived here. The last resident owners left in 1933 and in 1934 some of the grounds were acquired by Harrow Urban District Council for public open space. West House was requisitioned in the Second World War and blast walls etc erected. It was then unoccupied until it was bought by public subscription by the people of Pinner. It was given to the Council in 1949 to commemorate the war dead, with one room used for an illuminated Book of Remembrance. In 1950 the older part of the house was demolished but the rest is in community use,
West Lodge Primary School on the site of West Lodge
West End Lodge. In the 1860s Lord Nelson's daughter Horatia lived there for a while. Also called Hazeldene
Rose Cottage with its rose decoration on the front. This cottage was built when West End was part of a hamlet
British Listed Buildings Web site
Celandine Walks. Web site
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Eastcote History. Web site
Edwards. Eastcote from Village to Suburb
Edwards. London’s Underground Suburbs
Highways and Byways. Walks around Ruislip, Northwood and Eastcote.
London Borough of Harrow. Web site
London Borough of Hillingdon. Web site
London Garden Online. Web site
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex
Pevsner and Cherry. North West London
Pinner Methodist Church. Web site
West Middlesex CAMRA. Web site