Wraysbury River - M25
Wraysbury RiverThe Wraysbury River flows southwards
The County Ditch passes southwestwards (obviously) on the County boundary
Post to the east Staines Moor
Post to the south Yeoveney
Post to the west Wraysbury Lakes
Post to the north Wraysbury Reservoir
In this section the M25 runs partly on the line of the West Drayton to Staines railway.
Yeoveney Station. This lay to the east of Moor Lane and accessed by a footpath. It was opened in 1892 for the rifle range. It had a simple timber platform with a seat, a lamp and a back fence. At the rifle company’s request it was later called ‘Runneymede Range’ and then in 1934 changed to ‘Runneymede’ and then in 1935 to ‘Yeoveney’ . Trains only stopped when people asked, and not always then. Closed 1962.
The Metropolitan Rifle Range Company. They built ranges for volunteers who did not want to go to Bisley and the ranges on Wimbledon Common had been closed. They came to Staines Moor with the connivance of the railway company. The ranges lay to the west of what is now the M25 and south and probably partly under the Wraysbury Reservoir.
Rifle Range Cottage. Built 1890. with Arts and Crafts influence.
The reservoir was opened in 1970 and is owned by Thames Water
Disused Stations Web site
Industrial Archaeology of Surrey
Spelthorne Council. Web site