River Colne Staines Moor
The Colne flows southwards and is met by two tributaries from the west. The Bone Head Stream joins it on the east side and lies southwards
Post to the north Stanwellmoor
Post to the south Staines Moor
Post to the west M25
There is woodland along the ditch with willow and sycamore
Lined with crack willow and hawthorn
King George VI Reservoir
Yeoveney Farm - the site of the farm now lies under the Wraysbury Reservoir.. This was the site of Yeoveney manorial buildings have. In the 14th century the buildings included a hall and gatehouse as well as two granges, a byre, a cowhouse, and other farm buildings. The house was rebuilt in the first half of the 18th. In the 1950s it was described as L-shaped and had two storeys in red brick. Large timber-framed barns to the north, which were covered with corrugated iron, were thought to date from the 17th.
Staines Moor represents the largest area of alluvial meadows in Surrey and supports a rich flora while the reservoirs hold important populations of wintering wildfowl. It also has the oldest known anthills of Lasius flavus in Britain; some of which are thought to be 180 years old. The Moor is a small remaining part of the old Manor of Staines. Originally a clearing in the forest it had not been ploughed for over 1,000 years and has been common land since 1065. Commoners, must live in the old parish of Staines, and can graze a horse or two cattle here. The grazing is managed by Moormasters, elected by the commoners.
Butts – remains of a rifle range opened in 1862 and closed in the 1890s following representations from the railway.
British History Online. Staines
Colne Valley Regional Park. Web site
Natural England. Web site