North London Railway - Shoreditch
(For reasons of space – these very intensive inner city squares will be divided into quarters – meaning two quarters for the line of the North London Railway for this square. The two eastern quarters can wait for the future)
The Walbrook rises in this area and flows southwards
North London Railway
The North London Railway emerged from what was Broad Street Station and travelled north
The street was once reportedly called Plum Pudding Row. In the 1980s this was the home of Equinox Computer Systems, in the 1920s of a radio parts importer and manufacturer, and in the 19th by a manufacturer of iron staircases.
14 Jerram Faulkus. Construction contractor dating from 1884, site includes a joinery workshop. Their building here dates from 1976
In the 19th there was a timber yard here supplying to the local furniture trade, and later industrial premises, some servicing the motor trade or dealing in office supplies. In the 21st industrial premises have become design studios and the like, and the road has been the site of a number of prominent and important pieces of graffiti and wall art, including the odd Banksy.
21 site of Gravel & Jones chair frame specialists in the 19th – typical of the trade of this area at that date.
7-10 creative warehouse space.
24 London studio. Theis and Khan Architects home and studio built in 2007. This is a married couple with an architectural practice. In 2000 they bought an industrial building and the first floor was used for their offices. They rebuilt on the site as a mixed-use with commercial space, with four flats.
28 Magneto Works in 1929
1948 ‘Nike’s destination retail space and pop-up store in the railway arches. There is an exterior courtyard, with an illuminated running track, set into a Nike Grind floor, rising up the wall to meet neon typography.,
37 Shoreditch Studios
Narrow street with lots of expensive looking graffiti some of which seems to be appearing in artistic publications.
The name of Bowl Court is at least 18th and it became an area of overcrowded housing of the impoverished working classes and the site of a ragged school. Old industrial buildings here in the 21st became an Autonomous Social Centre, but have since been demolished.
This is an ex- industrial street with four-storey workshops giving it a canyon-like feel. Most are now art galleries, artists’ workshops or suppliers of sundries to the arts world.
27-31 workshops probably of the 1890s.
29 workshops from the 1890s
32 occupied by Messrs Coals, Lovell & Richards, specialists in over mantles and sideboards in 1895
33 Workshops described as ‘extraordinary’ with the shape of the site determined by the cutting of Great Eastern Street through the area. It has loading bays and carriage doors and a crane on the top gable. Furniture showroom-warehouses built in 1876 for John King Farlow continued to be used in this way until the 1960s. Edward Rowland & Brothers, bedroom furniture makers, were here in late 19th. It is now occupied by suppliers to the art galleries which infest the area.
35-39 warehouse and workshops built for Hewlett and Sons, wholesale druggists who were next door
35-47 Merchants Tavern. Warehouse conversion to a restaurant/ bar. Previously a bar called Cantaloupe,
40-42 Hewlett and Sons, wholesale druggists, here in the 1880s.
43 1880s-1930s occupied by Edward Bagshaw, spring manufacturers. They were set up in the 1850s claiming to be the oldest maker of coppered steel springs, webs, tack and nails. From 1935 used as a warehouse
43-49 originally furniture workshops developed in 1877-1881, for John King Farlow who had bought up housing here. They look like one building but behind the facade is a dividing wall, splitting it into seven workshop units with independent front access. There are decorative gables, coloured brickwork and a floral brick band along the row with two surviving cranes.
44 in 1881 leased to Ebenezer Envil, French polisher, who sublet to the furniture trade. In 1955 this was used by B & N Upholstery along with Mr Billigheimer, a feather dealer. In 1986 it was refurbished by Jeremy Cooper who filled it with 19th art furniture. A plaque marks occupation by art dealer Joshua Compston
45 In 1892 leased by William Lamb, wholesale looking glass and cabinet maker. Later W. A. Hudson, furnishing ironmongers, installed a rolling mill at the back.
46 in 1870 leased to Pintsche's Patent Lighting Company Ltd,
49 In 1878 leased to Jacob Emil Zoers, manufacturer of umbrella and parasol sticks.
This was previously called Motley Street and site of furniture trade workshops, as well as housing where there were deaths from cholera. Now also the site of much reproduced graffiti/murals
10a Cosmopolitan House. Theatrical agents and others.
A Ragged School was sited here
Clifton Street was one of the earliest sites to have 5 hour parking meters installed in 1961.
73-81 this was the site of a grocers’ warehouse originally the Home and Colonial tea warehouse built in the 1900s. Now demolished. A remaining wall has now also gone.
96-100 The Gestalt Centre. Training rooms, consultation rooms, offices, library and common area. Gestalt is an existential/ humanistic approach to understanding what it is to be human.
Parking area off Curtain Road, contains the odd Banksy.
Recorded as The Curtain Road in 1682 and said to be called from the Elizabethan theatre known, The Curtain here in 1577. Curtain Road was named after the curtain wall in the Priory. However the field on which the theatre was built was called Curtain Close in 1544. By the late 19th this area was the hub of the furniture trade with small furniture making firms, warehouses, showrooms and suppliers' stores.
The eastern arm of the Walbrook rises in this area and flows parallel with the street
Priory. The south eastern part of Curtain Road was dominated in the middle ages by the Augustinian Priory of St. John the Baptist in Haliwell. It was said to have been near the Holy Well. The Church was south of New Inn Yard. The institution was founded before 1158, and was said to be the richest Augustinian nunnery in the country. It was inside the area enclosed by Shoreditch High Street, Holywell Lane, Curtain Road and Batemans Row. At the reformation the site was split up but much of it can be traced in the local roads and plots of buildings.
Gas Light and Coke Company. Curtain Road Gas Works. This was on the corner of Worship Street and Hearn Street. This was the Company’s second works of the Gas Light and Coke Company and thus second in the world, was set up in 1812 by Frederick Accum, and finished by Samuel Clegg. It was built to supply gas to the Liberty of Norton Folgate. It had no water access so coal had to be carted across the City from Westminster. In 1865 the new North London Railway lines passed down the east side of the works and an agreement was entered into with the railway for delivery of coal from Poplar Dock, and use of GLCC gas in NLR stations. Within six years the gas company closed the works and it is clear that this was to allow for a widening of the lines into Broad Street Station. A large gasholder stood at the eastern end of the site but there was no apparent sign of this within the at least in the 1980s. It is always possible however that some walls in Hearn Street remain from the gas works.
Coal Yard. By the late 1870s the gas works site had returned to its previous use as a coal yard. Remains of a coal delivery system from the railway could be seen on the viaduct walls in the 1980s. The site is now laid out with sports pitches.
1-5 The Queen of Hoxton. Bar.
2-6 Papermill Bar
Iron bollard in the form of a cannon on the corner of Hearn Street.
7 Curtain Court. Arcading which seemed once to go back to an area of stables
8 Globe House. Built as offices in the doorway is a sculpted plaque in modernist style which appears to show a man sheltering from the glare of the sun.
12 described as a steam factory in 1879 for church clock maker, Henry Sainsbury. The firm, founded in 1734, is said to have installed almost a 1000 church and turret clocks. This is now under modern offices
24 possibly the workshop of an early 19th clock maker
28 Horse and Groom 1890s. This is now a small, pub-style venue on Opened in 2007, as a club and an electronic music destination. Before that it was in fact a pub, and had been since at least the mid 19th
13-19 Cohen wholesale cabinet works plus warehouse and showrooms. Probably built in the 1890s.
21 St James Church. In 1841 a new parish of "St James, Curtain Road" was created and a church built to the designs of George Vulliamy. In 1937 the parish of Saint James, Shoreditch, was merged with the parish of Saint Michael, Mark Street, Shoreditch, and the church was demolished. It is said to have been built on the site of the Curtain Theatre but other sites have since been identified by archaeologists.
42 Weston House. National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children
49-51 built as workshops. There is still signage on the building, partly readable, about past use as a factory.
73-75 workshops purpose built in 1877 for furniture manufacturer Henry Vaughan. The Basement was for packing, the ground, first and second floors were offices and there were speaking tubes throughout. Henry Vaughan’s farther was a small cabinet maker in Hoxton and set Henry up in business. This warehouse was designed for Henry when he was 28 years old.
83-85 Burbage house. This was the offices of manufacturing chemist Hewlitt, with works in adjacent Charlotte Street. They were here from before the Great War until at least the 1960s
85-87 Curtain Road Warehouse nightclub and bar
86-90 A. Oakden and Sons, Hardware Factors. Thus was built around 1900 for A Oakden & Sons, hardware factors and became the second biggest supplier of locks and keys in the UK. In the 1980s the firm still supplied the furniture trade with a vast range of handles, hinges and fitting but closed in 2000. The building is now used by an estate agent and the blue enamel advertising signs around the building seem to have gone,
94 in 1908 J Crispin and Sons took over the building and operated there until 2001.
96 rebuilt in 1851 as a furniture workshop. There was a rear steam works and saw mill built in the 1870s. It was occupied by a succession of tenants. Scale maker, John Barton, rebuilt it in 1912 veneer merchant Crispin bought out Barnett. In 2003-4 the rear building containing the saw mill was demolished and the Curtain Road buildings were refurbished as offices
98 built as a warehouse in 1883. Now Morel House pub and business centre set up in the early 1990s.
100 London College of Fashion. In 1905 Shoreditch Technical Institute founded a Girls Trade School for the garment trades. This was set up by the London County Council Technical Education Board and aimed to supplement a failing apprenticeship system. Pupils over 12 were trained to work in West End couturier houses and also employed in the ready-to-wear trade. The school worked closely with the trades and had consultative committees. The 1944 Education Act gave Shoreditch technical college status. Management courses were introduced. Shoreditch merged with Clapham Trade School and became Shoreditch College for the Garment Trades in 1955 and began to include men. It was renamed Shoreditch College for the Clothing Industry in 1966, amalgamated with Barrett Street Technical College in 1967 to form the London College for the Garment Trades and is now the London College of Fashion.
104-108 Hoxton Pony. Bar. Dress code and all that.
The Foundry. Posh flats
Upmarket graffiti under the railway bridge
2 Peter the Pleater. In buildings which seem integral with the railway viaduct and its abutments
Chariots Roman Spa. Gay sauna. Also London Pleasure Dome. These buildings are on the site of the National Standard Theatre which fronted onto Shoreditch High Street.
Site of an 18th market
Waterlow and Son's large Finsbury Stationery Works was built here in 1874-6. It suffered severe bomb damage during the Second World War and was demolished. The building was five storeys above a basement with a private north south roadway through the centre. I was built of "Beart's perforated bricks" and concrete dressings. It was designed by William Ward Lee, built by Holland & Hannen and was the largest of Waterlow's Shoreditch premises.
An electricity substation was built here in the late 20th and remains an important and developing high tech part of the City’s electrical infrastructure. Works are ongoing.
Pedestrian alley in the heart of the design triangle
1 Herrick Gallery
Factory buildings on both sides, all at one time used by the furniture trade
Great Eastern Street
This cut through road was opened in 1876 having been built by the Metropolitan Board of Works as extension to City Road linking north London with the Docks. The angle at which it is built provides some challenging triangular comer sites and it curs some old throughways
Railway Bridge. Built by the Metropolitan Board of Works for the North London Railway in 1876. It has now been removed and only the abutments remain.
8 Corinthian House. Flat iron style building of 1880s. It is wedge-shaped with a narrow rounded end in five storeys and lots of decoration. Now offices and flats.
10 A Child of the Jago. Men’s posh fashion store named after Arthur Morrison’s book on the horrors of the east end slums – sells ‘original terrorist clothing’.
12-34 Trade Indemnity House
15 Penny Bank Chambers. This was constructed in 1878 as shops, flats and premises for the National Penny Bank, to designs of Temple & Forster. It was one of thirteen such built by the company followed the Yorkshire Penny Bank in Halifax as a way helping the working classes to save. It is has some terra cotta plaques with Penny Bank Motifs. The building was later used as a Post Office and since refurbished in use as an office and flats and there was once a Post and Telegraph Office sign.
17 ex-industrial space used as tented pop up gallery
38 Old Blue Last Pub. This was there before the road – in 1700 when it was called The Last and stood in Curtain Road. It was rebuilt in 1876 by Truman Hanbury and Buxton who renamed it. It is frequently claimed that first delivery of Porter ever made was sold here – (porter was a ‘lads’ drink of the day and the story is partly connected to the rise of big commercial brewers substituting for traditional ales. ‘Entire’ on the pediment means it was a ready mixed beer). Grey brick and stucco pub, has a broad curved end spreading around the comer of Curtain Road. Now owned by Vice Magazine.
40-42 Showroom-warehouses built in 1877 by J. W. Brooker for the cabinet ironmongers Edward Wells & Co. The building is in a prominent location with a ground floor almost entirely glass. It was built as part of a group of four showroom-warehouses. It was initially occupied by an auction house and a specialist clothing manufacturer. Stay merchants, W. Ruddick, here in 42 until the 1930s. 40 was used by Rubery & Stockwell, furniture manufacturers, until 1908. The building was then used by a motor accessories merchant and at the end of the 20th both properties were used by an estate agent,
44-48 Built in 1888 and used by cabinet making companies
54 in the 103s this was a bedroom furniture factory for R.R.Light and then Griffiths Hackney Cabinet Co. in the 1950s. Recently it has been the Great Eastern Dining Rooms
66-70 elaborate five storey building used by the furniture trade
69-71 European House. Business College.
73 CitFin House. This warehouse was built in 1881 possibly designed by, Aston Webb for a firm of electrical engineers but was later used by cabinet makers. Once called Excalibur House this was the Head Quarters of the National Front in the 1980s. It has also been known as Regina House. It is now a business and computer technology college.
85 In the 21st this brick building has been turned into creative workspace. The green colours and concept is taken from Hoxton’s history as a meadowland. There is a vertical garden at the back and exposed brick walls in internal spaces where translucent green and yellow glass blades pierce the building elevation. There is also a timber clad rooftop pavilion
87 Built around 1888 this was an office and warehouse used by an upholsterer’s spring maker. In brick with stone dressings. There is a left a Gothic doorway with a pointed arch and columns on the top gable. Recently used by a fashion designers and as a coffee shop
This was once called Cumberland Street
7-11 Hearn Street Car Park. This is now a night club
13 Factory 7. Cinema and night club
Electricity sub-station built in the 1920s. Due for demolition
Wagon hoist alongside the railway in the coal yard.
Providence Baptist Church. This stood on the south side.
10-14 buildings of Kimpton Brothers, international honey specialists, and other related substances
18 Concept Space in old industrial building, with Protein Cafe, etc.
Plaque to the Site of the Curtain Theatre. The Curtain was the second theatre to be built in London, in 1577. From 1585 to1592, James Burbage shared in the management. The building survived orders by the Privy Council in 1597 and 1600 and there are references to it in 1603 and in 160 the last reference being in 1628. In 2012 the Museum of London Archaeology unit announced that they had found remains of the theatre. It is hoped to develop the site with a tower block of flats plus a Shakespeare museum,
Rockwell House. A once squatted 1960’s factory taken over by a group of artists, working with local graffiti artists, and others and offering studio and event space.
1 was the Work Hands Entrance for the outfitters in the High Street.
54 Village Underground. This was developed as an affordable, environmentally stable studio space for artists and the Broad Street Rail Viaduct stole their hearts. It had been derelict for over 20 years and was self seeded with trees and wildlife. The background to a cultural centre - a railway coal store, a music hall, and an 18th theatre. The End of the Line. Above the wall two 1983 Jubilee Line trains hoisted to the rooftops and used as office space.
55 The Mission. There is a date stone with the text "G.T 1893.
New rail bridge built 2008 for the East London Line Extension.
10-27 19th domestic scale buildings in a 19th terrace but used commercially largely by the furniture trade
13-14 workshops used in the furniture trade built in the early 18th.
20 rebuilt in 1900 for S. Goss with workshop-type windows. It was used by motor accessory manufacturers in the early 20th but later by cabinet makers.
28 Old Kings Head. Pub
King John Court
1 Sovereign House. Vast intimidating telecommunications building.
55-85 this is a long row of 19th workshops, some with wall cranes and loading doors.
73 Blackall Studios
81 Base Camp Accelerator and gallery
96-106 row of workshops
96-98 International Network Gallery
100 Book Club. Bar
Victoria Chambers. Philanthropic Housing block, five storeys around a courtyard, originally with open stairwells which have since been refurbished.
4 Head Office of Workers Educational Association
6-8 1995 newcomer. Clad in reused bricks, with angled recessed entrance
7-13 small makers homes, bought out by Oakden's for storage
25 Worshipful Company of Gardeners. The Company of Gardeners was first mentioned in 1345. In 1605, after existing for centuries as a fellowship, the Guild was incorporated by Royal Charter. Today, the Company ranks number 66 in the order of precedence of Livery Companies
74-78 workshops built for Waxler cabinet maker
1 Derwent House. Let to Reuters
Site of Langbourne Buildings. These were philanthropic housing built at the instigation of Sydney Waterlow, printing magnate, in 1963. They were designed by Matthew Allen and demolished in 1963.
St.Michael’s church. Built in 1863 and Closed in 1964. It is now used as an architectural salvage warehouse. It was designed by James Brooks, his first church in this area. In brick with bands of red brick. A tower was planned but not built. It was built at the instigation of the Haggerston Church Scheme, begun by the vicar of Shoreditch with the support of, among others, Robert Brett of Newington Green.
Westland. The church is now used by an architectural salvage company, and houses an extraordinary collection of artefacts. The company was founded in 1969 and specialised in sourcing 18th and 19th furniture and decorative elements in England and shipping and selling to Europe with premises in Frankfurt am Main. In 1977 they moved to St Michael's and concentrated on shipping antiques worldwide The church settings became dramatic scenarios where antiques.
Clergy House. This is the only remains of what was intended as a picturesque group of church buildings. It dates from 1870, by James Brook, and now used as offices.
Hospital of St. Mary at the Cross. This Anglican Benedictine Community of Sisters of the Poor was founded here in 1866. The building was begun by Brooks, and completed by the young J. D. Sedding. The Convent closed in 1931, and moved to Edgware where a convent had also been designed by Brooks in 1873. Furnishings from here were moved to Edgware.
Mark Street Garden. This is laid out alongside the church and built over part of the cloister. It consists of small spaces with winding earth paths to areas of lawn, shrubberies and flower beds with aromatic plants, a pergola, with a stone monument. An obelisk with seating is a memorial to Sidney Smith
Painted sign for W.A.Hudson who has building adjacent
Site of a gents urinal from 1900. Thus was boarded up by 1985
New Inn Broadway
4-6 Possible site of The Theatre – the first theatre built by James Burbage here in 1576 and where Shakespeare is said to have appeared. The site is also associated with the Great Barn from the Priory and it is thought remains have been found here of both.
New Inn Yard
Generally an area of more pop-up clubs and more and more expensive graffiti.
7-13 down the side of Oakden’s building in Curtain Road were built small makers' homes. In 1881, the inhabitants included bedstead and bedding makers, an upholsterer and a furniture packer. Earlier this century, Oakden's bought them out to use the premises as a factory.
17-25 Amnesty International. The building was originally a furniture factory. Amnesty have converted and extended it using Witherford Watson Mann Architects
29 Regal Pop Up Club
36-42 Digital Archaeology
Posts at either side of entrance to King John's Court. Early-mid 19th cast iron gun posts, the western one with maker's mark: "Baileys of Bankside."
Railway viaduct - Signal box on the west side set at an angle for good visibility. It was called New Inn Yard Box and was a sixty lever box primarily controlling traffic going to Broad Street Goods. These connections were abolished when that yard closed in 1969, and the box closed in 1970.
Railway – a new five span 130 m long Holywell viaduct built 2008 for the East London Line Extension and the point at which it joins the North London Line viaduct. It is supported on the remaining abutment of the New Inn Yard over bridge.
New Inn Street
Part of the boundary area of the Priory
New North Place
More posh graffiti
Post at north corner of Scrutton Street. 19th cast gun post with maker's name, "BAILEY AND PEGG, 81 BANKSIDE" on it
28 The Fox. This was a Watneys house. Now claims to be a gastro pub and to have kept original features. Nice brown tiled outside
32 Zetland House. Signal Gallery
69-77 Telephone House. BT Training Centre and other telephone providers and associated activities
Hitchcock’s Reel on the roundabout outside Telephone House. Film reel sculpture by John Edwards 1996
76 artwork of two men climbing the side of Development House (which fronts in Leonard Street) and a garden area below
64 Victoria House. Warehouse converted to offices and flats
The Princess. 18th pub now refurbished
72-74 Light industrial block from the 1890s
Factory buildings survive on both sides. Some of these very dark buildings may have been used for storing furniture awaiting sale.
1 Holywell Centre. Education classes etc. Office space to rent.
1-13 this was a row of furniture and associated trades workshops. Demolished in the 1980s.
23-19 workshops built in the 1880s.
26 workshops built in the 1890s.
28 – workshops built in the 1880s for Mason and Betts Paper Merchants who left there in 1980. Surviving wall crane and some signage.
Railway arch – a single arch from the Broad Street viaduct remains crossing the road
The viaduct from Broad Street to Dalston has 170 brick arches. It was proposed in 1861 to link the City to Dalston and the existing line from Bow to Camden as the North London City Extension. The two mile line came into operation in 1865 from what became Broad Street station. It closed in 1985. Since then much of the viaduct has been demolished along with Broad Street Station, however a new line coming from the old Bishopsgate Depot to the east has crossed Shoreditch High Street to join the Broad Street viaduct at New Inn Yard.
1-3 workshops for the furniture trade
2-20 this building is also in Paul and Clifton Streets. It was built in 1904 and used by print and allied trades. It is decorated with art nouveau features.
49-55 four workshops built in the 1870s.
3-25 This was the stationary works of Waterlow printers and also fronts into Clifton Street. It was built in the early 1900s and there is a large central chimney.
35 The Waterman’s Club. Pub
Holywell Mount itself is shown on maps up until the 18th when it was cleared. It could have been a rubbish dump, or a plague pit or a Civil War defence structure. It was cleared as it has become a focus of local criminal behavior.
Holywell Mount burial ground. The site of the old burial ground connected to St.James Church in Curtain Road is the open yard area accessed from 38 Scrutton Street; it may have extended under nearby buildings. There was also a school and parish hall on the site. The yard is now a car park
Shoreditch High Street,
Ermine Street – Shoreditch High Street is on the route of Roman Ermine Street from London to Lincoln. It runs here from the boundary of the Liberty of Norton Folgate and the City of London to the Kingsland Road. . There were Civil War fortifications either end.It was considerably widened on the east side in 1877 and damaged in the air raids of 1940. In the 19th it became the centre of the wholesale furniture trade
Railway – a new five span 130 m long Holywell viaduct built 2008 for the East London Line Extension is supported on the remaining abutments of the Shoreditch High Street over bridge. From there the new Bishopsgate Viaduct runs east.
3-8 Nicholls and Clarke, glass, lead and colour merchants. Parts built at different times 7-9 built in 1887 and 3-5 built in 1937, replacing earlier structures. The front is in an Art Deco style clad in cream faience tiles with a central gable with clock on the re-fronted 1897 building. There are plate glass windows at the ground floor, linked by a continuous 20th frontage
32 site of Unicorn pub. There was a Unicorn Brew house here by 1803 and the present building was on site by 1864. It was a Truman’s house and remained in business until 1944. Today it is a shop.
Bishopsgate Station site. Bishopsgate station became Bishopsgate Goods Yard. It was a passenger station 1840-75 and then as a freight terminal until it was destroyed by fire in 1964. Substantial remains lay derelict to the east of this quarter square but were demolished in 2003-04 for a new Shoreditch High Street station which now stands on the site. Some parts of the old station remain in the High Street the ornamental gates and part of the former viaduct
New Bridge – a new bridge across the street carries the East London Line over on to the old North London Railway viaduct at New Inn Yard.
56-64 Lipton’s buildings. This is a large island block with a number of warehouses developed in three phases in the 20th on the site of earlier warehouses and yards between 1880 and 1899. The first phase was in Bethnal Green Road and was completed in 1931 with the redevelopment of the Shoreditch High Street block.This third phase of development was the construction of a large bacon factory for Lipton's Ltd who By 1933 Lipton's were part of Allied Supplies Ltd; An air-raid shelter was built in 1939. In the late 20th century the building was used by Securicor Ltd as storage. From the late 1930s the whole block was owned by Allied Supplies and used for processing and packaging of tea. It was refurbished as offices in 2002 for Derwent Valley developers.
64 White Horse pub. This has recently been a gentleman’s club
74 Shoreditch Telephone Exchange
92 Bull and Pump. Site of a pub used by Isaac Newton which was a stop for cattle drovers on their way to Smithfield and was near the Shoreditch Pump. It was later a sports bar and now demolished.
95-99 This was originally the Griffin Music Hall & Public House, which opened in 1856. In 1894 it was demolished and the London Theatre of Varieties was built, designed by Frank Matcham and in 1896 it was re-named London Music Hall. In 1924 it was re-named Shoreditch Empire Theatre. In 1934 it was bought by Jeremiah Rotherham & Co. who closed and demolished it
100 Ace Hotel, previously the Crown Plaza, previously the St.Gregory Hotel. Opened in 2004 and claiming to be modern and sophisticated.
103 Jane Shore Pub. This pub was there by 1834 and remained until the Second World War. It was later a shop and demolished in 2009.
110 This is a domestic two-bay shop. Now called Time for Tea it is not a café but says it is a history museum available as an event and location space. The clock above the door has no hands.
112 Former London and South Western Bank 1900. Probably designed by E. Gabriel in Portland stone. This building along with 110 and 111 were used from 1927 by A. Norman and Sons Ltd, footwear wholesalers and manufacturers, which had begun in the Kingsland Road as Norman and Sons Boot and Shoe Factors. From here they supplied footwear to retailers all over the country and had manufacturing outlets elsewhere. In 1972 they were taken over by Spencer Rotherham Ltd
145 The Shoreditch Pub and nightclub
181-182 Former London and County Bank. Became NatWest built in 1868.
186 Hackney House. Pop up space promoted by London Borough of Hackney to promote various local events, initiatives etc.
187-190 18th terraced houses with
192-193 An impressive corner building, built as showrooms, storerooms and workshops for Abraham Lazarus, tailor and gentlemen’s outfitter, in 1889. It was designed by architect Drury and Lovejoy and constructed by Patman & Fotheringham. Corner topped by a decorative clock tower. The ground and first floor are faced with large plate-glass windows, replaced in the inter-war years.Was refurbished in c.1980, when a photographic studio was inserted into the ground floor and the upper floors converted into residential and office use.
196 At one time this was The White Swan Hotel Said to be 1693 because of a date on a lead cistern at the pub. This pub was there in 1802, and survived as a pub until at least until 1922 when it as owned by Hoare & Co’s. Closed because of East London Railway works adjacent.
199 The Norfolk Village Pub was demolished in 2004 as part of the works for the new line from Bishopsgate
201-296 Majestic Wine Warehouse. Originally on this site from 1838 was the Royal Standard Public House and Pleasure Gardens. The Royal Standard Theatre was then built on the site and burnt down on 1866. It then became the New Standard Theatre later re-named Standard Theatre, then National Standard Theatre. It was rebuilt and then rebuilt for a third time by Bertie Crewe. It opened as the Olympia Theatre built for and was operated by Andrew Melville as a variety theatre with Films screened as part of the programme. In 1926, it became a full time cinema, the New Olympia Picturedrome and taken over by Associated British Cinemas in 1930. It closed in 1939, with plans to build a new Art Deco super cinema on the site. Demolition began but was halted due to the Second World War and was subsequently bombed in 1940. The shell of the building remained until the late-1950, when it was cleared. It is now a Majestic Wine Warehouse with various activities in the area to the rear – an arts complex and a gay sauna.
221-222 Drunken Monkey. Dim Sum restaurant and bar.
226 Crown and Shuttle. The name recalls the local weaving industry. Built in 1816 it was recently closed and reopened
227 this is recorded as being there in 1703 it is thought it may be older.
232 The Duke of Wellington pub was here 1851- 1912. It is now a gents hairdressers.
233 The Light Bar. This was the Great Eastern Railway's Electric Light Generating Station and the only remaining power station of its type in London. It was designed by civil engineer John Wilson in 1893 with a 150 ft chimney. Below the power station was a siding via which ash and clinker could be removed and there was an internal narrow gauge system. It housed one Colonel REB Crompton's electrical engines. It played a pioneering role in the development of electric power, and from 1900 the borough of Shoreditch used it as inspiration for its motto 'more light, more power'. After 1907 it replaced by a power station in Stratford and became a sub station of that. It closed in 1932. It remained in non-railway use and has been a bar since 2000
Was called Hog Lane. The name is said to be a corruption of Worsop
28-30 The frontage is 1980 by Hulme Chadwick & Partners with a curved metal-clad stair-tower and bowstring-braced glazing.
Clifton House. This was built for printers, Williams Lea & Co. in 1900
60 a block from the 1920s which was remodelled in 1959 for Mining Journal by Tripe & Wakeham
91-101 series of frontages by Philip Webb for philanthropist Col. Gillum in 1862. This is a domestic terrace with ground-floor shops and industrial basements restored to their original design in the 1990s. The designs include a Drinking fountain under a Gothic canopy.
Girder bridge carrying the street over the Liverpool Street
Barton. The Lost Rivers of London
Blue Plaque Guide, English Heritage
British History Online. Shoreditch
Cinema Treasures. Web site
City and East London Beer Guide,
Clarke, Glimpses of Ancient Hackney and Stoke Newington
Clunn. London Marches On.
Clunn. The Face of London
Connor. Liverpool Street to Chingford
Early London Gas Industry. Web site
English Heritage. Web site
Field. London Place Names
Geffrye Museum. Workshops and Warehouses.
Greater London Council. Home Sweet Home
Hackney Society. South Shoreditch.
Hackney Society. Web site
Jerram Falkus. Web site
London Borough of Hackney. Web site
London Gardens Online. Web site
London’s Industrial Archaeology
London Railway Record
Martin. London Industry in the Nineteenth Century
Mitchell and Smith. North London Line
Museum of London. The Peopling of London
Nairn, Modern Buildings in London
National Archives, Web site
Pastscape. Web site
Robbins. The North London Railway,
Robinson. Lost Hackney
Rockwells. Web site
Shoreditch Music Halls. Web site
Signalbox. Web site
TBAOG, A Survey of Industrial Monuments of Greater London
Trench & Hillman. London Under London.
Village Underground. Web site
Wilson, London’s Industrial Archaeology