Thursday, 23 January 2014

North London Railway - Haggerston

(For reasons of space – these very intensive inner city squares will be divided into quarters – the north east quarter for this square.)

North London Railway
The railway continues go run northwards

Post to the south Haggerston
Post to the north Dalston

Broke Walk
This is roughly the line of Broke Road where St.Paul’s Church and associated schools stood slightly to the east

Regents Canal
Original Rail Bridge carrying the North London Line this was a two span half through bridge with a deck of longitudinal box girders and cross girders of wrought iron plates. The deck was supported on iron columns next to the tow path.
Gas Works wall from Laburnum Street.  A large brick wall dominated the canal on its south side where the Gas, Light & Coke Co.. had its gas works
Laburnam Boat Club. This opened in 1983 on some of the site of the Independent Gas Works. A small group of local people who formed the Club spent years clearing the site, dredging the basin and building the timber A-frame Club Hut. There are hundreds of children and young people in Haggerston in need of affordable, accessible physical recreation.  The club uses the basin to which coal was delivered by barge.
Horse ramps in the side of the canal on this stretch. They are there so horses could be led out of the anal after they had fallen in.
New Rail Bridge.  As a replacement Hackney Council wanted a structure which would stand out. It is thought to be the first tied arch bridge on a mainline railway since Brunel’s bridge of 1849 at Windsor.  A singe span bridge also meant that they could avoid the CEGB cable which runs under the towpath. The original abutments were kept to support the bridge but the foundations of the northern ones needed to be redug.
Entrance to Haggerston Basin. At one time piling on the canal wall could be seen at the point at which the entrance to the basin left the canal to go into the Imperial Company’s Gas Works in Whiston Road. There is now housing on the site

Duston Road.
Samuel House. Last to be demolished of the Haggerston Estate, redeveloped by London and Quadrant.  Arts project before demolition.
Bollard. 19th cast gun post inscribed "BOROUGH OF SHOREDITCH

Haggerston Road.
Regents Canal Bridge. This is the original bridge built 1816-20 with some later alterations. It is a single span brick bridge and an elliptical arch. The parapets were partly rebuilt in the late 19th. . There are iron guards to protect the stonework. 
164 Seventh Day Adventist Church. The church was originally based in Stoke Newington and moved here in 1980.
All Saints Centre. Meeting Rooms and community space.  Clowns Gallery and Museum. This is a private museum founded in 1960 to house pictures and artifacts relating to clowning and its history from earliest times. It also has props, costumes and a literary archive. Registered clown faces stored on painted eggs.

Laburnum Street
Bridge Academy. This once was the Laburnum Street Board School with an addition dated 1908. The new UBS sponsored academy is an innovative vertical compact school shaped around a multi-level 'heartspace' Conceived as a piece of architectural origami of 2008. A transparent ethylene tetra fluoro ethylene cushion, is stretched over the outside of the building. It was designed by BDP as a 'seven-level interactive learning environment'.  It specialises in music and mathematics.
Shoreditch Independent Gas Light and Coke Co.   This company was started in the mid-1820s and, once they had a site began to make gas about a year later.  It belonged to two employees of the Gas Light and Coke Company who following some problems settled for Haggerston buying land from Rhodes, the building and brickmaking contractors.  The proprietors were mainly local businessmen but at a share auction the police had to be called.’  The works had a frontage on the Regent’s Canal and an inlet for coal deliveries was built off the canal. The first of years proceeded without incident, apart from legal action by the Regent’s Canal Company for their effluent disposal. but the company’s shares crashed in 1826 it was reconstituted  The works was operational until 1900 - it had been taken over by the Gas Light and Coke Co. in 1876. The site was cleared later and stove and meter workshops were there until the 1950s. The site is now housing.
Kingsland Estate.  LCC estate now demolished

Lee Street
Haggerston Station The station was opened in 2010 with a service between Dalston Junction and New Cross or New Cross Gate. Later that year services were extended New Cross Gate to West Croydon or Palace. The station was designed by Acanthus LW Architects with a design recalling the style of here is a large mural to Edmond Halley, who was born locally

Queensbridge Road,
Regents Canal bridge. This is a simple single span bridge with an elliptical arch. It is in 18th red brick, with outer parts of 19th stock brick. The parapet coping is still later engineering brick.
Distillery. This is marked on 1890s maps and speculatively is the Analytical Laboratory of Barnett and Foster Ltd
Queens Road Chapel. This was a Baptist church.

Stean Street
The Kray Twins were born here
Old Haggerston Station. This was slightly south of the current Haggerston Station. It was opened in 1867. The Company first intended to name it De-Beauvoir Town Station but changed their minds before completion. It was a two storey building of yellow stocks brick which was in the south side of Lee Street and by the late 1930s it was little used. At track level the layout was similar to Shoreditch, with platforms serving the original three lines only, and in platform on the line added in 1874. Trains stopped calling in 1940 and soon after the building was bombed as was the signal box. The wooden platform buildings had gone by the 1960s and the platforms were covered in foliage.
Signal box - 'No.l' was at the north end of the island platform
Signal box – No.2. Was built out from the viaduct, at the south end of the station,

Whiston Road
Haggerston Baths.  Built in 1903-4 by the baths specialist, A. W. S. Cross in red brick with Baroque detail. The pediment has the reclining figures of a man and a woman modelled by Frederick Schenck, carved by Martyn and Co. There is a cupola with a gilded ship weathervane. Originally it has a swimming pool, 91 slipper baths and a 60 stall laundry wash house. It closed in 2000 but in June 2009 after a long community campaign, a grant was announced but this is now on hold
151 community centre for refugees from Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia.
Old King Johns Head. Pub, closed and demolished
Bryant Court – this and other block of flats in the area now demolished.
Entrance gate to the park with an adjacent shelter with seating and brick piers supporting a balcony above. This is accessed by spiral staircase.

Bridge Academy Web site
Bridge works on the East London Line extension. Web site
Cinema Treasures Web site
Clarke. Hackney
Clunn. The Face of London
Dodds. London Then,
Essex Lopresti. The Regent’s Canal
Field. London Place Names
GLIAS Newsletter
Hackney Society Newsletter
Haggerston Station.  Wikipedia. Web site
London Borough of Hackney. Web site
London Encyclopaedia
London Gardens On Line. Web site
London Railway Record
Lost Pubs. Web site
Lucas. London
Mary’s gas books. Web site
Mitchell and Smith. North London Line.
O’Connor. Forgotten Stations
Pevsner and Cherry.  London North
Robins. North London Railway
Robinson. Lost Hackney
Stewart. Gasworks of the North Thames Division

No comments: