Mutton Brook - Hampstead Garden Village
Mutton Brook flows westwards
Post to the north East Finchley
Post to the east Highgate
Named after the Bishop of London and his hunting lodge which was in the area. The road is full of houses for the wealthy and has been a by word for opulence and vulgarity. It was laid out in the 1890s by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners through woodland as a link between Hampstead and East Finchley but only developed in the 1920s and 1930s.
30 Gable Lodge. Built in 1927 in ‘Cape Dutch’ style by Philip Hepworth. With a Lutyens inspired chimney
32 by Nigel Clarke. Built 1928. Plain house
34 Stratheden. This was originally called Arkeden. This is by Philip Hepworth, influenced by both Lutyens and Clough-Ellis. Described as the best of his 'Pseudish' style. Original details included a galleon weathervane and Chinese dragons on the door case.
36 Inlaks – this was originally called Oak Tree Court built in 1926. The maker over had added a portico
40 Eliot House. This was originally called White Walls by Philip Hepworth. His original gate piers survive. It was built for Charles Ryan and The first of Hepworth's 'Pseudish' style houses
42 Turquoise. This was originally called Clive House and later Shirah. Built by Smith and Brewer in 1914. It is in whitewashed brick with swept roofs of sea-green Swedish pantiles.
43-45 could be mistaken for a branch library
52 Kenstead Hall. 1936. Hollywood Tudor plus Stable block with cupola.
53 Summer Palace. Set back in grounds like a country house. 12 bedrooms, 11 bathrooms, brass and crystal lift, leisure complex and atrium.
54 Oak Lodge. 1927.
Toprak Mansion. Was once on sale for £50m. Has a dominant carved Tuscan portico by Donald Clarke.
The Towers. Built and sold for £20m in 1992. Has an island with palm trees in its internal swimming pool. The classical pile set back from the Avenue
The Fountains. Aggrandized by a portico with four huge Corinthian columns
Nusantara. This is now the Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia)
White Lodge. 1916. A large house well set back
White Lodge Close – laid out in the grounds of White Lodge.
Dryades. Long asymmetrical brick house, built post war,
Westwood. Built in 1900 for John Grove Johnson with the upper storey half timbered with an arched brick entrance and pargetted. Now divided into Inglestone Manor – aka Ha Kha Manor
Part of the New Suburb and named after Sir John Brunner MP and President of the Co-Partnership Tenants Housing Council
Byron Close. Built on the site of Glenthorne which was built in 1898 for George Sainsbury, provision merchant.
5 house modernist by Michael Manser, 1962, a rare case in this area of white walls with flat roof.
Designed 1928 by Hendry and Schooling, as part of the New Suburb
Hampstead Golf Course
Named for Earl Grey a supporter of the Co-partnership movement
Named for Sybella Gurney, Honorary Secretary of the Co-partners Association.
19-24 and 28-70 designed by Philip Hepworth in 1931. Some houses destroyed by Second World War bombing.
Annemount School, established in 1936
Streamform moderne houses by Welch, Cachemaille Day and Lander. These are in blocks of four with walks through to garages.
Named for Charles Kingsley, founder of Christian Socialism. It starts with 1930s houses with sun-trap windows
2 transitional house of the 1930s
18 Kerem School. Founded in began in 1948 by Stanley Frankfurt for children from three to seven. Originally in the old Hampstead Garden Suburb Synagogue hall. The school acquired the site in Kingsley Way, which is now the Nursery School.
3-5 Lubavitch Boys Grammar School. Established here by Bobby Vogel, a local diamond cutter in 1963
This is part of an extension of Hampstead Garden Suburb into Finchley following land purchases in 1911 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners and developed from 1919.
Lyttleton Playing Fields
Set up by Hampstead Garden Suburb they were sold to Finchley Urban District Council in 1933. Alfred Lyttleton, aristocratic, lawyer Conservative politician and a minister in the Balfour Government. He was Chair of the Hampstead Garden Suburb Trust before 1913.
Designated as part of the A1 in 1953. Lyttelton Road was built in 1931 to divert traffic away from the Finchley. Because of the high volume of traffic housing is set much further back from the road leading to wide pavements and verges and long front gardens. In 1962 it became an experimental lorry route and there have been numerous enquiries and protests ever since.
Belvedere Court. Flats designed in 1938 by Ernst Freud. It has International Moderne influences of Erich Mendelsohn with strong horizontals and curved ends in brick as ‘streamform’ bays.
Earl Lytton Hampstead Garden Suburb Chair in 1921 and brother in law of Lutyens. After a brief gap when he was Governor of Bengal he returned to the Trust in 1930.
Houses. Piece de resistance of moderne architecture. ‘Liner architecture’ of 1935 by C.G. Winbourne. Small houses with bold, completely glazed staircase towers appearing above roof terraces – flat roofs for sunbathing. This is ‘British modern at its best’.
Cottage flats round a secluded green. Built 1928 by Hendry & Schooling for the United Women's Homes Association
Alongside the North Circular. It is 7ft wide with its banks supported by wooden planks.
Ralph Neville was Chair of the Garden City Association.
16 weatherboarded house by Gerald Warren, built 1935
18 Built S.M.Swanson 1934.
21 International Modern by Ernst Freud, 1935
33-43 traditional small houses of the 1930s by Robert Atkinson
Hampstead Garden Suburb Synagogue. An Orthodox synagogue formed in 1933
Kerem School. In 1956 Kerem School was developed on the Norrice Lea site alongside the Hampstead Garden Suburb Synagogue
17 built in the 1930s as a ‘Hispanic fantasy’ by Katona.
23 a small symmetrical semi-moderne house by Welch, Cachemaille-Day & Minder.
Bunker's Dip. Built 1930 by Philip Hepworth, in brick and a stair-tower.
Henry Vivien MP was one of the founders of the Co-partnership housing movement
22-30 streamform flat-roofed houses by Brian Herbert, 1937. Many have now been roofed with traditional forms.
Damaged by a V1 in 1944
54 Built by Evelyn Simmons for himself in 1924
56-60 built in 1924 by C.H.James
62-64 built in 1924 by Matthew Dawson
“Middle-class housing of post-1927 reaching extremes of opulence and injudicious design. Almost universally genteel Neo-Georgian on an ample scale”. However the building plots were fixed by Soutar as architect to the Hampstead Garden Suburb Trust and many houses designed for them by William Powell.
A1 Wikipedia Web Site
Kerem School Web Site
Miller. Hampstead Garden Suburb
Pevsner and Cherry. London North