Burtonhole Brook - Mill Hill
Tributaries, one of which is Burtonhole Brook, flow east and north towards Folly Brook
Post to the west Mill Hill
Post to the north Totteridge Fields
Post to the east Frith
Post to the south Holders Hill
Burton Hole Lane
A public footpath and bridleway which is flanked by tall hedgerows and woodland strips with a wet ditch at the base.
Burtonhole Farm. Livery stables, owned and leased out by Barnet Council.
Burtonhole Farmhouse. Cedar shingled 18th house.
Oakfield. 1898 brick house with a comer turret.
Camden Sports Ground – Old Camdenians Cricket and Football Clubs. This was originally a sports ground for Holloway School dating from the early 20th.
Burtonhole Lane Playing fields
Mill Hill Country Club. Sports club plus social club
Finchley Nurseries Garden Centre. Moved to this site in 1933
Mill Hill Village Sports and Social Club
Buntings Field – Woodland area now being restored by a local society
Charles Sevright Drive
Site of the Inglis Barracks of which some areas are now a Trading Estate while some remains with the MOD
Site of the Army Postal Depot – a service which Charles Sevright was early involved in during the Peninsula War, having also been a prisoner on spying charges. In 1962 the Army Home Postal Depot moved from Acton, to what was then part of the Inglis Barracks. In 1979 it renamed the Postal and Courier Depot RE (PCD RE). In 1999, the Agency was re-launched as the British Forces Post Office, and in 2007, it relocated to Northolt
Henry Darlot Drive
Henry Darlot was another early postal hero having sorted out the system during the Peninsula War.
Partingdale Manor is a manor in name only, and was built in the early 19th from what had been Pattengale farm. It has some Gothick details.
National Institute for Medical Research. This is a world famous site where the standard unit of insulin is measured, the influenza virus was discovered and famous work done on the common cold. The land was bought in 1922, the shell of the building put up 1938-42 designed by Maxwell Ayrton, having been used during the Second World War as the Women's Royal Naval Service. It has a green copper roof in brown brick with Seven storeys in a butterfly plan was chosen to provide maximum light and air. It has been used as a set in Batman films as Arkham Asylum. The Medical Research Council was established in 1913 and at first was sited in Hampstead from 1920 at Mount Vernon before moving here in 1950.
St Vincent's Provincial House Sisters of Charity of St Vincent de Paul. A number of members of The Sister of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul came to England in 1848 but returned home in 1849 because were attacked. In 1885 the Sisters purchase "Littleberries" and set it up as Provisional House. In 1887 a Residential School (Orphanage) for boys was opened. The site has now closed and is being converted for housing.
Littleberries. Thus was the home in 1691 of George Littleberry, a London bookseller. Extensions were built for the convent in the 19th and 20th. At the rear is a pavilion added in 1712, chequered brick. With medallions of William III, George I, George II and Caroline of Ansbach.
Banqueting House. This is an Ionic temple dating from at least 1754. It stood within an early 18th garden if which there are some remains. A round and a square pond now filled in lay along the avenue and beyond were a walled garden and pleasure ground.
Damascus House. This was built as an orphanage in 1887, and was converted to a retreat centre in 1972-3. It has a tower and behind is a nursery building.
Presbytery. Built 1886 in brick.
St Vincent's R.C. School. Built 1896 in brick. The sisters developed a day school here soon after arriving. The foundation stone was laid in 1895. The school was recognised in 1897.
Wentworth Hall. Site of another mansion, now demolished and replaced by smaller housing unts.
Adam and Eve. First recorded as a weatherboarded pub in 1751 and replaced in 1915 by the current building.
Bittancy House. This was a stuccoed villa built before 1828. Demolished 1950
Watchtower House. Built for the Jehovah’s Witnesses on the site of Bittancy House in 1959. Became the International Bible Students Association. Here the Jehovah’s Witness periodicals Awake and Watchtower are produced in 25 languages for 55 countries. In 2002 120 million magazines were produced.
Optical works of German firm of Carl Zeiss opened in 1912 but was closed during the First World War, and reopened around 1919 as the United Kingdom Optical Co Ltd. They have passed assets to Ross under legislation against trading with the enemy – the works was making military binoculars.
IBSA House. In 1988 the International Bible Students Association, associated with Watchtower House, took over the site of the Optical Works.
Aldous. Village London
British Forces Post Office website
British History. Hendon web site
British Listed Buildings, web site
Burtonhole Lane. Wikipedia web site
Old Camdenians web site
Pevsner and Cherry. London North
St.Vincentsnw7 web site
Walford. Village London