Folly Brook - Frith

Folly Brook
Folly Brook flows south eastwards and is met by tributaries from the north west and the south west

Post to the west Mill Hill
Post to the north Totteridge Green
Post to the east Woodside Park
Post to the south Mill Hill East

Cissbury Ring North
House said to have a plaque which reads "On this spot, in 1832, nothing happened"

Henry Darlot Way
Within the barracks. Buildings in the area of the road include:
Boiler and Plant room. Built 1960s
Quartermasters stores. Built 1904 and now in commercial use
MOD police and cleaning staff building. 1904
Barracks. Built 1904 with verandah and some decoration including ‘historic graffiti’.
Command Headquarters building
Barracks block built 1980 – this may replace a block bombed by the IRA
Motor Transport block, later became Junior Ranks Club 1960s
Motor Transport block. Previously Women’s Royal Army Corps in 1968. Built 1960s
Projects Office – WRAC Guard Room in 1969. Built 1960s
Philatic and Ration Stores. Built 1960s.
Rank and File mess. Built 1980s.

Holmes Avenue
Within the barracks site. 1970s housing – now cut off by fencing from new private housing.

Inglis Barracks
The north east corner of the barracks site is in this square
The barracks was built on the site of Bittancy Farm. The earliest buldings on site is 1904 and in 1905 the Middlesex Regiment Training Depot came here. The barracks was at first called  ‘The Garden’ and it was renamed in the 1930s after Major William Inglis. In 1938 the Middlesex Regiment beecam a machine gun regiment and in 1941 moved to Chester and the barracks housed Polish troops, German prisoners and Advanced Technical Support staff .  In 1961 the Middlesex Regiment moved out and the barracks were taken over by the Home Postal and Courier Communications Depot of the Royal Engineers. All letters and parcels for the armed forces were sent via Mill Hill. 12 Company WRAC also moved here.

Lidbury Road
Within the barracks. Buildings in the area of the road include:
NAAFI  Shop and Office. Built 1960s
Personnel and medical centre built 1960s
Sergeants Mess built 1960s
Hindhead House Barracks built 1960s
Richmond House Barracks built 1960s
Garrison Playground built 1904.

Lullington Garth
London Equestrian Centre, Frith Manor Farm
Frith Manor House. Thus was built in 1790, and the adjoining farm-house became servants' rooms. It was a stucco building said to contain a 16th- stone fireplace and linen-fold panelling brought from elsewhere. It was sold in 1951 and bunrt down in in 1957.
Frith Manor Primary School. built on land owned by Sir Titus Barham, the owner of Express Dairies, and opened in 1939

Morphou Road
New housing 2012

Partingdale lane
Seafield House - War room.  This bunker was one of the regional war rooms. It covered the North Group (Barnet, Camden, City of London, Enfield, Haringey, Islington, Westminster).  It became disused in 1958 - Barnet were supposed to use it as their emergency control but never did. It was described as being or rReinforced concrete construction with a surface map room, control cabins, offices and plant room. Insaide all doors were paintred red and there was an oil fired engine for the electrical plant, and all the plant. Despite the listing the building was sold to a private developer for conversion into a luxury house called Seafield House, which in 2010 was put on the market for £4,500,000
National Grid. The large electricity transformer station was built in 1961

Thirtleby Road
New housing 2012

Woodside Park Garden Suburb
An estate laid out In the late 1920s by Fred Ingram as a "garden suburb" with roads named after the rural areas of Sussex that he had lived in as a boy


British History Hendon web site
Mill Hill East. Inglis Barracks. Web site
On Our Street web site
Subterrania Brittanica web site


Popular posts from this blog

Bromley by Bow

South Norwood

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town